Question for mg4 owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shippo

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi, I currently drive am MG zs ev. I had a 2nd test drive in the MG4 yesterday, firstly the small screen behind the steering wheel was vibrating and making all sorts of noises, when I held it they stopped. Secondly I drove 25 miles averaging 20mph in eco with heating on and the consumption was 2.3 mpkwh, which I found terrible. I had done a trip from York to Bradford and back on Saturday in the ZS and archived 3.4 mpkwh with the heating on and motorway driving. So I would like to know peoples experiences please....

The vibrating driver screen is not normal and sounds like a fault. The economy of 2.3miles/kWh is also very low from my own experience, I have averaged 3.7miles/kWh over about 1,000 miles, driving in NORMAL and climate set to 21 degrees and AUTO. The first few miles will be higher consumption as the cabin and battery achieve the correct temperature but should soon get better after that.

It sounds like the regen may have been set low, it normally defaults to level 3, the strongest.

The vibrating driver screen is not normal and sounds like a fault. The economy of 2.3miles/kWh is also very low from my own experience, I have averaged 3.7miles/kWh over about 1,000 miles, driving in NORMAL and climate set to 21 degrees and AUTO. The first few miles will be higher consumption as the cabin and battery achieve the correct temperature but should soon get better after that.

It sounds like the regen may have been set low, it normally defaults to level 3, the strongest.
Mine is performing in a similar way ie c.3.7m/kwh across all driving types and in Normal mode. Fan set on 1 on screen at 23 degrees constantly (to stop misting up). Regen also set at 3/strongest.

I've just returned from a test drive this morning and I was also a bit disapointed with the economy which was 2.8 m/kWh for about 25 mins of slow'ish town driving (in a Trophy). Regen on level 3, Fan at 22 degrees, ambient 11 degrees and dry.

I was also underwhelmed by the acceleration. I was definitely expecting better. It's ok from about 20mph onwards but the initial punch away from standstill was disapointing. I've owned 4 different EV's over 9 years so have a reasonable idea of how it compares.

Also a shame that regen doesn't bring you to a stop and that you can't toggle off creep. Unless you can? The salesman wasn't sure but I couldn't find it in the settings.

It's got me thinking about what to do with my order. There was a lot I did like about it though, the fit and finish was decent (first MG I've driven) and it's obviously great value for the range and charging speed.

Mine is performing in a similar way ie c.3.7m/kwh across all driving types and in Normal mode. Fan set on 1 on screen at 23 degrees constantly (to stop misting up). Regen also set at 3/strongest.
Same here though only a hundred miles in around 3.6m/kWh, much the same settings.
No screen rattle.

I've just returned from a test drive this morning and I was also a bit disapointed with the economy which was 2.8 m/kWh for about 25 mins of slow'ish town driving (in a Trophy). Regen on level 3, Fan at 22 degrees, ambient 11 degrees and dry.

I was also underwhelmed by the acceleration. I was definitely expecting better. It's ok from about 20mph onwards but the initial punch away from standstill was disapointing. I've owned 4 different EV's over 9 years so have a reasonable idea of how it compares.

Also a shame that regen doesn't bring you to a stop and that you can't toggle off creep. Unless you can? The salesman wasn't sure but I couldn't find it in the settings.

It's got me thinking about what to do with my order. There was a lot I did like about it though, the fit and finish was decent (first MG I've driven) and it's obviously great value for the range and charging speed.
This is my first EV so I don't have your experience but I find the acceleration in NORAML to be more than adequate at all speeds, you can always try SPORT for the quick off the line start but honestly why bother. It accelerates very decently all the way up to 70mph and beyond, more than enough for driving on our roads and with the traffic we have.

This is my first EV so I don't have your experience but I find the acceleration in NORAML to be more than adequate at all speeds, you can always try SPORT for the quick off the line start but honestly why bother. It accelerates very decently all the way up to 70mph and beyond, more than enough for driving on our roads and with the traffic we have.
@Shippo, you could wait for the 4-wheel drive 400hp version if the current acceleration isn't enough. I'm with you the acceleration in normal/sport is plenty for most driving, certainly day to day.

After nearly 2,000 miles in an MG4 at an average of 3.7 miles/kWh of careful driving keeping the speed to 60 max I too was disappointed in the economy. The first few miles are very poor due to the PTH heater heating up the coolant for the battery. After that it gets better and taking the car back today I got 4.2miles/kWh at 60-65 with occasional stretches of 50 in roadworks. The key appears to be to set the fan speed to 1 then the temperature to Lo, which turns the heat off.

Hi, I currently drive am MG zs ev. I had a 2nd test drive in the MG4 yesterday, firstly the small screen behind the steering wheel was vibrating and making all sorts of noises, when I held it they stopped. Secondly I drove 25 miles averaging 20mph in eco with heating on and the consumption was 2.3 mpkwh, which I found terrible. I had done a trip from York to Bradford and back on Saturday in the ZS and archived 3.4 mpkwh with the heating on and motorway driving. So I would like to know peoples experiences please....

Attachments

• 043E9F48-486C-478C-9029-CD083BC8D3B5.jpeg
    043E9F48-486C-478C-9029-CD083BC8D3B5.jpeg
    325 KB · Views: 145

They have definitely mapped it so there's no wheelspin from the off, peak torque is well under 200 lbf-ft , possibly to not scare people, but more likely to preserve the drivetrain.
I think the Kona has around 300 lbf-ft along with a similar 200 bhp so its perfectly do- able, shame they played it so safe.
Expecting my SE SR in 3 weeks or so, hoping the rumoured lower gearing and lighter weight will give it a little more pep at low speed but doubt there will be much in it.

As for economy, I was let loose alone for 2 hours in the trophy demo of my local dealer, thrashed it harder than I would do with my own car, 11 degrees and wet. It was showing 3.4m kWh when I parked it ( reset it when I set off ) should be easy to get over 4 methinks.

They have definitely mapped it so there's no wheelspin from the off,
It's RWD, you'll generally get less wheel spin from the off by nature of the drivetrain (so long as the tyres are pretty decent), not any mapping.

Last edited:
Dealer demo models tend to have irregular short runs meaning that the vehicle and battery temperature will be cycling regularly. This will have an impact on the efficiency and could explain the low mpkWh reading (which will be cumulative over several test drives).

Hi, the regen was on level 3, although not as strong as level 3 in the ZS. I was expecting economy to be way better than the ZS, over the last 7000 miles I have averaged 4.2.

If you have reservations about the 'fuel' economy, the acceleration (which is essential for quick get away at roundabouts, junctions etc) and the regen, well, imo, these would be three (esp the acceleration) big question marks if I were in your shoes.
It's easy to get over a seating position, or a wing mirror not being big/small amount for one's ideal, but if you find the acceleration didn't do it for you, it may well not be the right car. I've always found it almost impossible to go to owning a car which is noticeably slower, after having a quicker one.
With the fuel economy, as a demo it isn't really a perfect example going by what type of journeys it's probably had, and so the value on the screen might not be exactly what you'll get (although maybe your reset it before you test drove?).

Last edited:
It's RWD, you'll generally get less wheel spin from the off by nature of the drivetrain (so long as the tyres are pretty decent), not any mapping.
Yep, The RWD is the main reason I'm buying it, very entertaining chassis for a bread and butter EV.
The magnetic field generated by the motor via the inverter is totally dependent on the program written for it, I would guess they've played it pretty safe in the interests of longevity, it does result in a pretty tardy 0 - 20, as noticed by the OP.
Once rolling, the punch is pretty decent though, which is what matters most I guess.

They have definitely mapped it so there's no wheelspin from the off, peak torque is well under 200 lbf-ft , possibly to not scare people, but more likely to preserve the drivetrain.
I think the Kona has around 300 lbf-ft along with a similar 200 bhp so its perfectly do- able, shame they played it so safe.
Yes, that's what it felt like. First launch from standstill I thought it had bogged down so I tried again but it did the same. It's still better than most ICE cars out there, just not as fun as it could have been with the power available.

I'm intrigued by the SR difference in the 0-30 time. Maybe I should try find a SR to test drive. Will be interested in what you think about the comparison when you get yours.

There is an Autohold feature which stops the creep, which is toggled in the menus. The following is from the car manual;

If the vehicle is required to stop frequently for long periods while driving (such as wait at the traffic lights, stop on a slope or stop and go with traffic), the Auto Hold function can assist you in stabilising the vehicle, enabling you to remove your foot from the brake pedal when the vehicle is stationary and the Auto Hold active. Auto Hold has 3 states as follows:

1 Standby: With the driver's seat belt fastened, the driver's door closed and the power system in READY mode, touch the Auto Hold switch on the Infotainment display to switch the Auto Hold function from Off to Standby state.
2 Parking: When the vehicle is moving forward, press the brake pedal to stop the vehicle, then firmly press the brake pedal to switch the Auto Hold function from Standby to Parking state. Note: If the vehicle is stopped by firmly pressing the brake pedal, the Auto Hold function will directly enter the parking state. The Auto Hold will exit the parking state if the brake pedal is firmly pressed again. The Auto Hold will exit the parking state if gear D is selected and the accelerator pedal is pressed. The Auto Hold will exit the parking state if gear R is selected.
3 OFF: Touch the Auto Hold switch located on the Infotainment display to turn off the function.

The Auto Hold will exit the parking state under some circumstances such as releasing the seat belt, turning off the power system, remaining static for a length of time or operating the Auto Hold switch. At this time, the EPB will be applied.

It's on page 195 if you wanted to have a look for yourself

Does 'auto hold' still have the rear brake lights burning the user behind? I ask as i see zillions of 'drivers' at lights with their rear light burning constantly, and i wondered if there was another reason other than basically being too lazy and find the 'effort' too much to simply just use the hand brake :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums