Question for the more serious modder's

Never charged me more for a towbar but advised it was declarable modification
I think it varies from insurance to insurance companies TBH.
Some will charge you extra at every opportunity !.
Some will charge you for even making a registration number change on the policy ( e.g - private number plate ) of £30 - some will do it FOC.

Never charged me more for a towbar but advised it was declarable modification
Hi all, I had, years ago, an MG ICE, which had the MG 1.8 in it and was always overheating, and the temp gauge only registed hot when it had boiled dry, so I fitted a temp gauge so I could stop when it started to get a little warmer. When I renewed my insurance by phone, he asked "any mods" I jokenly said I had fitted a temp gauge he went of to ask someone and when he came back said the premium would have to go up by £15. Needless to say did not insure with them and also sold the car. So how I tell them every thing, I even told my wifes insurance that she had her spider respayed (same colour) just incase the extra weight unbalanced it.

Has anyone fitted any wheel spacers yet, and if so, what thicknesses did you fit to the front/rear.

The rear wheels seem massively tucked in on the mg4 (fronts less so) and it's a mod I'll be doing myself when mine arrives which can only add to the sporty/aggressive looks & stance.
I have been looking at springs and or spacers as I do like modding cars ( I also have a modded M2) the spacers from the vw group apparently fit 5 x112. So I will be putting 20mm on back and 10 mm front next week and will be posting pics. There are so many of these being sold that someone sometime soon will be offering suff to Mod for them. Looking for wind deflectors also at the mo, little mods like this surely will make them look so much better......fingers crossed

How far does this type of thing go with insurance companies ? For example, if
  1. I had front and rear dash cams installed
  2. I installed mud flaps
  3. I sprayed the plastic hubs caps black
  4. I fitted new alloys and tyres
  5. I had a 'go faster' module installed to boost HP
Do I notify an insurer of all five or only some, what's the boundary here ?

2. I installed mud flaps
From conversations with my insurance it's essentially anything that alters the appearance or performance of the vehicle that requires a tool to remove it

2. I installed mud flaps
The advice is to always check with your insurer of any changes made to the car from standard. You can’t go wrong then.

2. I installed mud flaps
If in doubt let your insurance company know. They won't necessarily charge you more, they just want to know.

I also thought about the the rear wheels being tucked in issue, honestly I will be probably going with rims that make the car wider. ET is what we look for here in Germany to determine how much the wheel is going to be pushed outside.

I believe a small change can make a big difference when it comes to looks so I won't be going down the route of spacers. I'm happy with a few mm per side. I've tried spacers in the past and I immediately noticed a change in the car's behavior and I didn't like it.
Also the largest rim I'm ready to put on the car is 18", I feel like 19" is too much rim and too little rubber and would compromise handling and comfort too much.

Currently I really like the Autec Uteca in 18" with ET of 38 which I think is fine.
Alternatively there's the MAK DaVinci in 18" which looks like the Uteca but with slim spokes, which is available from MG in Denmark but not in Germany, weirdly enough.
Else the CMS C28 with ET37 seems like a good option as well.
But I would really fancy the CMS C32 Aero in 18". Currently they're only available in 19". There's also a 18" but that's not compatible with the MG4 in Germany, at least for now. They would be quite a hassle to run legally, you have to get them approved on your car and that can always fail because of the employee that looks over it and the whole procedure will also cost about 100-150€. So there's the risk of buying the rims, mounting them on the car, meaning I cannot send them back, driving to the authorities and if I fail I have to sell them with tyres on the used market with a significant loss.

I still have 7 months to wait for the car so there's no rush, but it's good to know that there are alternatives on the market already.

Last edited:
I have been looking at springs and or spacers as I do like modding cars ( I also have a modded M2) the spacers from the vw group apparently fit 5 x112. So I will be putting 20mm on back and 10 mm front next week and will be posting pics. There are so many of these being sold that someone sometime soon will be offering suff to Mod for them. Looking for wind deflectors also at the mo, little mods like this surely will make them look so much better......fingers crossed
Seen a previous post saying the golf mark v & vi fit. There seem to be two types available when I looked at the eibachs & h&r websites (got them on my Mazda 3 and the quality of both is second to none), one had a chamfer to account for a chamfer on the hub and the other was undercut. If you do whip a wheel off please take a photo of both the inside of the wheel and the hub so I can buy some spacers before my car arrives.

I also thought about the the rear wheels being tucked in issue, honestly I will be probably going with rims that make the car wider. ET is what we look for here in Germany to determine how much the wheel is going to be pushed outside.

I believe a small change can make a big difference when it comes to looks so I won't be going down the route of spacers. I'm happy with a few mm per side. I've tried spacers in the past and I immediately noticed a change in the car's behavior and I didn't like it.
Also the largest rim I'm ready to put on the car is 18", I feel like 19" is too much rim and too little rubber and would compromise handling and comfort too much.

Currently I really like the Autec Uteca in 18" with ET of 38 which I think is fine.
Alternatively there's the MAK DaVinci in 18" which looks like the Uteca but with slim spokes, which is available from MG in Denmark but not in Germany, weirdly enough.
Else the CMS C28 with ET37 seems like a good option as well.
But I would really fancy the CMS C32 Aero in 18". Currently they're only available in 19". There's also a 18" but that's not compatible with the MG4 in Germany, at least for now. They would be quite a hassle to run legally, you have to get them approved on your car and that can always fail because of the employee that looks over it and the whole procedure will also cost about 100-150€. So there's the risk of buying the rims, mounting them on the car, meaning I cannot send them back, driving to the authorities and if I fail I have to sell them with tyres on the used market with a significant loss.

I still have 7 months to wait for the car so there's no rush, but it's good to know that there are alternatives on the market already.
I would go for new rims if I was buying the car but I'm getting it through a lease scheme from where I work and they replace the tyre's as & when required. I really like the post from I think Sweden that shows the bigger alloys available from mg, the car looks like it's on castor's with the UK spec wheels!

Did you ever fit those spacer's, my car is due to arrive at the docks may 1st so I'm keen to get some bought so I can fit them straight away.

Also on the subject of modding...if spacers aren't enough for the serious modders out there, I came across this styling setup recently that includes some additonal front splitter, lower side skirt and rear diffuser. More images available at s-sporty.com/mg4-sonic/

abc-1.jpg
abc-2.jpg

Also on the subject of modding...if spacers aren't enough for the serious modders out there, I came across this styling setup recently that includes some additonal front splitter, lower side skirt and rear diffuser. More images available at s-sporty.com/mg4-sonic/

View attachment 17003View attachment 17004

I like that, the rear colour coded accents on the diffusers and the front splitter add-on's are very good. Makes the car look more planted and with the wheels flush to the body it looks like a proper hot hatch 👍

Even though I'm not a fan of wheels and tyres that nearly rub on the arches, I must say that I do like that look :cool:

Yeah I've never dropped a car too far, I fitted racing beat springs on my Mazda which only dropped it by 20mm. A subtle drop that just made the wheel arch gap look more even/balanced

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 496 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back