ken1959

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Could anyone help me as I have a mg 4 long range when you get into the car and start it the radio will not come on you have to keep setting the radio for it to work is this normal or do I have a fault . Thanks

In my SE SR the DAB radio starts by default. But I'm not sure what should be the default outcome.

I have the complete opposite, unless I have Android auto plugged in first, I get radio. If I toggle to USB2 it is quiet for 1 or two startups but then radio again. Wish they could have a off option?

Could anyone help me as I have a mg 4 long range when you get into the car and start it the radio will not come on you have to keep setting the radio for it to work is this normal or do I have a fault . Thanks
What do you mean by keep setting the radio?
What actions are you doing?

I have a different experience of this, 23 plate Trophy, infotainment v.24(I think)

When I leave the car I always pause the radio/usb music and when I return, it is still paused on the same station/song as when I left.

If I didn't pause it, it would play until locked and play again from when my ass hits the driver seat sensor when I return.

Have you tried pausing it to see if it remembers?

It could be quirk of your version of the infotainment.

My wife collected her MG4 Trophy today. On her trip home she was able to switch between radio stations on the home screen using the forwards and back buttons. When home she was showing me the car and we set some radio stations as favourites. No matter what we did though, the station that we could hear didn't change - even though lots of different stations were selected and showed on the screen.
Anybody else had this?

I find it's constantly forgetting the stored favourites on dab or FM and a lot of the time (might be where I live for signal) dab doesn't always work reliably anyway!

DAB isn't that good here either, my MX5 worked better than the MG though. another oddity is I tried using voice control to 'play usb' to which she responded 'switching source to usb' and left the radio playing anyway.

Mine usually works when get in, although the star (left is white infill, right is black infill) button on the right of the steering wheel always seems to bring it up / on. On mine, the left star brings up apple car play if plugged in. (SR model)

I can ask mine to go to a certain radio station by freq and it plays ok, but there is nothing coming up only a spinning cursa on Radio and DAB, I've rebooted multiple times but cant seem to get the radio to show / work properly at all, anyone got any ideas .

The USB play option seems a bit weird too, it always seems to revert to playing alphabetically through all tracks, sometimes from folder view it works playing an individual album but not normally. Tonight I was playing from the USB and asked it to 'play Led Zeppelin', to which it replied 'I can only play selection when playing from USB', or words to that effect.

I realise it's a royal pain, but the SE's USB player doesn't support folders and plays every track you have in strict alphabetical order irrespective of abum. Another bug. Anyway, here's how I imported and renamed CD tracks to get round this. As I say, it's a pain, but this is the full fat version, you can skip some steps. Essentially you have to put some code at the beginning of every track name (not file name!) to ensure the car sees them in the right order.

It didn't take me that long to do once I'd got the hang of it and I now have a USB C stick that will play the whole of Wagner's Ring, fourteen and a half hours, 191 tracks, in the right order right through. (not to mention other long works).

It's worth doing because once you've done it it's done for good and while you can always add more music, what you have is there forever. It's not like cleaning a car when you have to start all over again next week, so cool the mockery, lads.

Last edited:
I realise it's a royal pain, but the SE's USB player doesn't support folders and plays every track you have in strict alphabetical order irrespective of abum. Another bug. Anyway, here's how I imported and renamed CD tracks to get roung this. As I say, it's a pain, but this is the full fat version, you can skip some steps. Essentially you have to put some code at the beginning of every track name (not file name!) to ensure the car sees them in the right order.

It didn't take me that long to do once I'd got the hang of it and I now have a USB C stick that will play the whole of Wagner's Ring, fourteen and a half hours, 191 tracks, in the right order right through. (not to mention other long works).

It's worth doing because once you've done it it's done for good and while you can always add more music, what you have is there forever. It's not like cleaning a car when you have to start all over again next week, so cool the mockery, lads.
I did something similar when I added my copies of the BBC LOTR and Hitchhikers Guide to my iTunes library to get it to play the episodes in sequence. My USB stick has a copy of the iTunes on it, the annoying thing is it worked fine in my MX5, including voice control. I will have a go at renaming some of the folders to see if I can get it working a bit better. It does lead to some strange juxtapositions with Allegri following Led Zeppelin.

My Golf was able to read iPod playlists, which was fine once I'd actually found the playlist I wanted. The problem was that it could take ten minutes randomly stabbing at buttons to find a playlist, because the the very idiosyncratic way its software handled the iPod's system. Meanwhile it would be doing exactly what the MG4 does, finding the track with the first alphabetical track name and playing that. I recall it was something random from the middle of a German opera that began with the word "aber" (the German for "but").

I always meant to get it a track of silence and name it "aaaaa" but never got round to it. I have done that for the MG4, a perfectly genuine track of John Cage's "4 minutes 33 seconds", but yesterday when I accidentally hit the wrong button the damn thing seemed to jump to the first track with actual music on it, so I wonder if it's ignoring poor John Cage because there's nothing there?

I parked up for a minute and found my place in act 1 scene 2 of Die Walküre quite easily.

I think I might do LotR and Hitchhiker next, but I might use a different USB stick for drama.

.... the basic radio (FM) is almost instant from one station to another, whilst searching! - what is the issue here? - yes DAB (or carplay) is a bit slower, but the basic system is almost instant, albeit where I am (out in the countryside?)

In my SE SR the DAB radio starts by default. But I'm not sure what should be the default outcome.

In mine the FM radio starts by default. Presumably because it's the FM facility I use. There's bugger-all DAB reception round here. Once or twice I have switched to DAB when I was somewhere with poorer FM reception, and then been puzzled by why the radio wasn't playing at all when I next got into the car - it defaulted to the last-used radio tuning, FM or DAB.

I'm told that the Trophy defaults to audio off on startup, even if you didn't switch the radio (or USB player) off when you last exited the car. But surely it should be easy to press the wee arrow to get it to play, just as it is for the SE owners who don't want the radio to press the two vertical bars to shut the thing up?

I'm a bit hazy about what happens if you don't stop the USB stick playing before you exit the car. My tentative experiments suggest this is a bad idea because it might go right on playing, or it might start again at the first track when you get back in. I'm trying to train myself to turn the audio off before I get out, because if I do that the USB stick seems to hold its place.

The issue we have is that although it might show BBC Radio 2 on the screen, it is still playing Greatest Hits. No matter what it shows on the screen, the radio still only plays Greatest Hits.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back