Random LKA switching. A cure found?

SimonS

Established Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
NB This is for the SE/LR in the UK. It may not work on other versions.

I've been plagued with the LKA randomly switching itself back on while driving. Also frequently when initially getting in the car, when switching off the LKA there is no 'Confirm' prompt and it does not switch off.

Previously I would unlock the car and get in, do up my seatbelt then wait for both screens to finish their boot up. I would then switch off LKA, switch on OPD, check the LKA icon is amber, then foot on the brake, select R or D and off we would go. At some point there after (could be 10 seconds, could be 20 minutes) something will trigger the LKA to return to 'on' and the icon would go white.

I have now discovered that if I change my start sequence LKA will behave as expected. The one change I have made is to put my foot on the brake BEFORE switching LKA off (i.e. door/sit/belt/brake/LKA+OPD/Drive). I then get the "Confirm" every time and LKA remains off for the duration of the drive.

If you have the same issue, give it a try.

I've been plagued with the LKA randomly switching itself back on while driving. Also frequently when initially getting in the car, when switching off the LKA there is no 'Confirm' prompt and it does not switch off.

Previously I would unlock the car and get in, do up my seatbelt then wait for both screens to finish their boot up. I would then switch off LKA, switch on OPD, check the LKA icon is amber, then foot on the brake, select R or D and off we would go. At some point there after (could be 10 seconds, could be 20 minutes) something will trigger the LKA to return to 'on' and the icon would go white.

I have now discovered that if I change my start sequence LKA will behave as expected. The one change I have made is to put my foot on the brake BEFORE switching LKA off (i.e. door/sit/belt/brake/LKA+OPD/Drive). I then get the "Confirm" every time and LKA remains off for the duration of the drive.

How old is the car? - mine is a 1st generation, and as soon as you hit the brake pedal it automatically moves from ON to OFF (i.e. it has a memory on the state it was when parked) - it's never been on since about the 1st week.

That's right. The LKA will not switch off unless you have your foot on the brake. It may seem to do it, but it doesn't show you the confirm screen and defaults to ON again almost immediately. You must have your foot on the brake and agree to the confirm dialogue box, then it goes off.

There is (or at least was) another bug in the Trophy, where the LKA would switch itself on spontaneously whenever the central screen switched between light and dark modes. The only work-round for that is to set the screen to be permanently light or dark. The SE doesn't do that though.

How old is the car? - mine is a 1st generation, and as soon as you hit the brake pedal it automatically moves from ON to OFF (i.e. it has a memory on the state it was when parked) - it's never been on since about the 1st week.

Phase 2 built April 2023. Delivered August.

Only very early cars that haven't had software updates hold the memory of the LKA setting. Pretty much any car delivered this year will be on a software version that defaults to ON every time you sit down in the driver's seat, because of the NCAP rating requirements. Cars still on the old software are liable to have it updated at a service and then they will do the same.

That's right. The LKA will not switch off unless you have your foot on the brake. It may seem to do it, but it doesn't show you the confirm screen and defaults to ON again almost immediately. You must have your foot on the brake and agree to the confirm dialogue box, then it goes off.

There is (or at least was) another bug in the Trophy, where the LKA would switch itself on spontaneously whenever the central screen switched between light and dark modes. The only work-round for that is to set the screen to be permanently light or dark. The SE doesn't do that though.
I should have added, when I switched the LKA off but didn't get the confirm, I would switch LKA back on then off again and would get the confirm and the icon would go amber as expected. It's just that it would then fall out some time later.

You don't need to keep your foot on the brake - you just need to have pressed it to get the car in the READY state. :)

My routine is:
  • Get in car, triggering both screens to start booting.
  • Plug my phone in.
  • Affix seatbelt.
  • Adjust wheel position, seat and mirrors.
  • Now the screens have booted, tap the brakes briefly to switch to READY mode.
  • Go into the menus and select driving mode and disable LKA etc...
  • Select 'D' and drive off

Only very early cars that haven't had software updates hold the memory of the LKA setting. Pretty much any car delivered this year will be on a software version that defaults to ON every time you sit down in the driver's seat, because of the NCAP rating requirements. Cars still on the old software are liable to have it updated at a service and then they will do the same.
I personally don’t have any issues with LKA, get a beep now and again, and the steering just jolts a little.

See that last bit? That's an issue right there. I do not give any car of mine permission to jolt the steering wheel. (I will accept TJA at speeds close to walking pace.)
I agree, not very nice when you have arthritis in your hands.

I agree, not very nice when you have arthritis in your hands.
I think somebody should run a survey on this - there's no way I would describe what the steering wheel does as a 'jolt', at worst, a light nudge. But then I'm a man with man hands. Women may well be more sensitive to this.

See that last bit? That's an issue right there. I do not give any car of mine permission to jolt the steering wheel. (I will accept TJA at speeds close to walking pace.)
Have the LKA ACC and TJA been any different since switching tyres? Curious to know.

I never use the LKA so I wouldn't know on that front. I only use the TJA in actual traffic jams and that doesn't happen very often so again I have no idea. I haven't noticed any difference in the ACC, although I have only used that to keep to the 20 mph speed limits in the villages.

I think somebody should run a survey on this - there's no way I would describe what the steering wheel does as a 'jolt', at worst, a light nudge.
Often that's the case but every now and then it's quite a forceful tug, almost violent. I can get it on our local country roads where line marking is poor/non-existent.

My Trophy 100% doesn't do that.
MY22 - Infotainment R33.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums