Range has reduced

wgroves76

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
My ZS EV suddenly has a reduced range after its charged. I used to get 200 miles for an 80% charge now I get 157 miles all of a sudden. Does anyone know why this is?

Battery is colder? Using the heating? Driving in heavy rain? Different route to usual? Different driver using the car (with a heavier right foot)? Lots of variables will affect the estimate.
Also, unless you are actually relying on the full range for long journeys it's pretty irrelevant other than a marginal increase in charging costs.

BEFORE you charge at home next time, ensure you have the HVAC turned off, then try resetting BOTH of the trip counters first.
This will delete any historical data stored by the car.
After the car has completed its charge / balance cycle, boot up the car and it will offer you the best guess of predicted range on the GOM.
This is likely to return to your 200 miles once seen.

Yeah could be all those factors. Do I need to heat my battery at all times?
No.
If you are going to be marginal on range it's a good idea to heat the interior using the app while you are still plugged in at home.
The battery will warm up as you drive. There was an option on the app to heat it but I don't see it any more. Any battery heating on the move is aimed at speeding up charging times - you will lose more range from heating the battery than you will gain from it being warmer.
If your journey isn't going to use all the available range just get in & drive and don't give it a second thought.

Here's what I get
Summer 4.0 m/kw
Autumn /spring 3.5 m/kw
Winter 3.2 m/kw

My Galaxy diesel would do
Summer 45 mpg
Autumn /Spring 38 mpg
Winter 32 mpg
The ICE engine has to warm up as well. The EV haters never take this into account

Doesn't matter what type of car you have.
AC takes 10%. Heater 10%+. Battery / engine has to warm up for it to be economical
Doesn't matter how many miles you have in winter.
You get on an EV tariff and it costs you about a fiver.
My Galaxy would cost £60 for the same amount of miles.

I wouldn't worry. It's better to drive in comfort than it is to have range anxiety.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom