• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Rapid chargers causing faults on ZS EV

Why can the charge not be stopped at the charge point? I have always done it that way with no problems, and no need to press the start button twice..

I don’t normally use Rapid Chargers. However, I recently did a very long trip that required using Rapid Chargers. I used:

1 x GridServe 150kW
2 x Ionity 350kW
1 x Charge Place Scotland 60kW
1 x MFG 150kW
2 x BP Pulse 150kW

All worked with no issues. Charging on the 150kW+ chargers was super quick with over 90kW being reached.

The SOC was around 20% on arrival and around 80% on leaving.

I arrive at a charger. Power the car off. Open the charger flap. I then sort out the charger and plug it in and start charging. Lock the car and wander off and get a coffee.

When returning to the car I would normally press the start button twice and stop the charging using the screen in the car. I then power off the car again and remove the charger and close the charger flap on the car (I did forget to close it once when someone came by and asked some questions about the car).

As such, I have not experienced any issues with Rapid Charging the ZS EV.
Mk1 or Mk2 ZS tho?

I've read a number of comments on rapid chargers causing faults on ZS's, these couldn't be cleared, by either waiting, battery disconnection or even AA fault reset

I'm soon to be collecting my face lift ZS LR Trophy and I'm a little concerned

My question's are
Has it been determined which MG models and firmware's are affected?

Is a particular brand of rapid charger that is causing the problem?

I read that this can be avoided if you don't let your battery go below a certain level (30%?) Is this true?

I don't want to be paranoid, but it would be good to know if there any simple steps that I can take to improve my chances!
I've done 20000 miles now and never had any problems, So just sit back and enjoy your new car. I'm driving one of the original MG zs EV

I've done 20000 miles now and never had any problems, So just sit back and enjoy your new car. I'm driving one of the original MG zs EV
Yebbut aren't these latest rapid charge issues with the mk2s not our mk1s?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, hadn't thought of that one.

But it would still be nice to have some way, other than double pressing the start button and waiting 20 seconds for the screen to finish booting up, and showing the "stop charging" button

Maybe a physical button inside the car to stop the charging would be a nice compromise :)

Maybe MG can easily add this stop charging button to the app on the charging info screen? Looks like could be a neat and convenient alternative than going through the long car unlock/startup/shutdown process. How do we feed this back into MG?

I'm a newbie to rapid chargers, only got the car on Monday (Trophy LR). My first attempt was a dismal failure, what's the correct sequence of operations to get it rapid charging? At home I'm using the granny charger for the time being, just switch on and plug in and it charges. I've got it set to time charging to make use of Octopus Go cheap rate.

This seems very complicated. Unlock car, stop charge on charger, (either order works) unplug cable.

Not sure why the procedure seems to have become so convoluted from the original car
That seems to be the practical way of doing it and always works on my mk1 ZS but with my wife’s Trophy LR ZS it can be less logical, you seem to have to use the app to stop the charge (even if you have already stopped it on the charger) or follow Michael’s routine. The charging section in the on line manual does not explain how to start or stop a charge, just tells you to do it.

On my standard range 2001 ZS I have only ever used the Rapid charging devices (CCS DC connector) control panels to start and stop the charging, I have never used the car screen to stop or start a charge.
Using CCS (DC) connectors the car has never needed anything doing, not even locking the doors, to charge.
It requires the doors to be locked when doing a AC charge, but not a CCS (DC ) charge.
Sometimes it take 30 seconds for the car to release the lock on the CCS plug after stopping the charge.
So keep calm and wait a minute before panicking.
I have had a few Rapid chargers not starting the charge. Moving the car to another nearby charger has usually worked, assuming that you have a choice of course. I am referring to Motorway Services charging area's, where I have seen a choice of 2 different brands of charger available.
Only one charger has ever caused the car not to let go of the charging plug, which was a PodPoint at a Lidl.
A quick 'phone call to the help desk sorted it the first time, the 2nd time it happened I just hit the emergency stop on the charger and the car unlocked the plug.

You can already stop the car from charging by using the app!
Great if that’s the case.. isn’t that easier than doing it via car then? sorry still waiting on mine so don’t have firsthand experience yet!

Hi, I am still waiting for the car so have no experience of this, but I see there is a programmable button on the steering wheel, could this be programed to stop the charging?

On my standard range 2001 ZS I have only ever used the Rapid charging devices (CCS DC connector) control panels to start and stop the charging, I have never used the car screen to stop or start a charge.
Using CCS (DC) connectors the car has never needed anything doing, not even locking the doors, to charge.
It requires the doors to be locked when doing a AC charge, but not a CCS (DC ) charge.
Sometimes it take 30 seconds for the car to release the lock on the CCS plug after stopping the charge.
So keep calm and wait a minute before panicking.
I have had a few Rapid chargers not starting the charge. Moving the car to another nearby charger has usually worked, assuming that you have a choice of course. I am referring to Motorway Services charging area's, where I have seen a choice of 2 different brands of charger available.
Only one charger has ever caused the car not to let go of the charging plug, which was a PodPoint at a Lidl.
A quick 'phone call to the help desk sorted it the first time, the 2nd time it happened I just hit the emergency stop on the charger and the car unlocked the plug.
I never have had to lock the car doors on my ZS Exclusive while charging with either AC or DC. If the car is locked whilst charging with AC then unlocking it will release the cable and you can pull it out but if you wait too long then the cable lock will re-engage and you will have to lock the car, wait a few seconds and then unlock it to release the cable. With most DC chargers you just stop the charger and the cable is released a few seconds later. With the new Facelift ZS it does no seem to work like that. you have to stop the charge by using the app. If the app cannot communicate with the car (this has happened more than once) you have to press the start button twice without putting your foot on the brake and then open the charging menu and tell the car to stop charging. It will then release the cable. That is the only thing about the mk1 that is better than the facelift version (we have one of each).

Why can the charge not be stopped at the charge point? I have always done it that way with no problems, and no need to press the start button twice..
Do you have the ZS EV Trophy LR? If you do could you please ask your dealer what software is installed as I have never been able to do it any other way apart from the app.

We have an original ZS and never yet had a problem with normal rapid or fast chargers that were not caused by my own haste (doing things in the wrong order mainly).

The only charger network that caused me to pull my hair was Tesla destination chargers which always seemed to be a lottery as to whether it would work or not.
Never had any problems with my Exclusive but the Trophy needs a long winded approach if the app is not working

I'm a newbie to rapid chargers, only got the car on Monday (Trophy LR). My first attempt was a dismal failure, what's the correct sequence of operations to get it rapid charging? At home I'm using the granny charger for the time being, just switch on and plug in and it charges. I've got it set to time charging to make use of Octopus Go cheap rate.
This is another great question and another thing these companies running the chargers need to address.

Right now there does not seem to be any established procedure across all of the different chargers.

This week i did a longer journey, and i charged a few times, and the thing i took away from this is, that not 2 companies has the same way of doing this.

One place, i had to attach the cable and have it locked into the car, before beginning the payment and activation process.

Another place it directly said "Do NOT plug in the CCS connector until told so in this app" and the plug in was more or less the last thing i had to do.

Also...The EV evangelists that always say "It's not a problem that you have to charge, because you also have to stop to go to the bathroom"......Technically right, but right now i use the approximately same amount of time, just getting the charger connected and starting the charge, as i would use to go to the bathroom, so there IS a wait time that is in no way covered by the "You need to go to the toilet anyway"

That being said, it seems to be getting better, atleast here, where some of the petrol station companies has begun implementing their own fast chargers (150/350KWh) and these companies know a bit about the importance of easy payment processes (These are the companies that in the last 10+ years have known the importance of being able to pay at the pump in a few easy steps)

One company has a cardreader directly at the charger, so the procedure is more or like "present your Wireless credit card" select charger, plug charger in, lock car...Car is now charging

Only downside is, they are rather expensive. At some of these "pumps" the price of electricity is so high, that it would have been cheaper to buy 100 kilometers of "juice" for my diesel car, than my electric.

Only thing that makes it still a good deal with the electric car, is the fact that most of my charging is done at my home, and mostly by solar power i produce myself, right now.

But these companies need to get better at the "UX (User Experience" part.

I have tried charging at a charger where i had to go to a website, enter my card details manually (Could not be saved for next time) and then enter a rather long string of numbers and characters that was on a sticker above the plug i wanted to use. Charger worked fine, but the UX was a mess.

And yes, i could buy a "unlimited charging" subscription, but i do not drive nearly as many miles as i would need to make that a good deal....Especially in summer where i buy almost nothing.

The app doesn’t always work hence You may have to do it via the car.
No, that app is a real mess.

My app has not worked AT ALL since wednesday.

I was on a longer trip, that also took me to Germany, and after that the app would not give me the current position ever since.

At first it claimed that the car was at the charging station in Germany, and the battery was 95% charged, but after i tried logging in to the app, on my wifes phone, which did not work either, i offcourse had to relogin on my own phone and now it just says "unable to get GPS position of car" and nothing works.

Have tried rebooting the infotainment system, and checked that the 4G symbol is present in the radio, so it has connection to the internet, but still, not working.

I have thought about trying the "Disconnect 12V battery to force a complete coldboot" but honestly, this should not be needed.

If i do not get it sorted, in 2 weeks, i will make their shop, that is to retrofit my "out of stock at delivery time" towbar, have a look at it also.

Maybe they even have some update, that will solve this problem.

No, that app is a real mess.

My app has not worked AT ALL since wednesday.

I was on a longer trip, that also took me to Germany, and after that the app would not give me the current position ever since.

At first it claimed that the car was at the charging station in Germany, and the battery was 95% charged, but after i tried logging in to the app, on my wifes phone, which did not work either, i offcourse had to relogin on my own phone and now it just says "unable to get GPS position of car" and nothing works.

Have tried rebooting the infotainment system, and checked that the 4G symbol is present in the radio, so it has connection to the internet, but still, not working.

I have thought about trying the "Disconnect 12V battery to force a complete coldboot" but honestly, this should not be needed.

If i do not get it sorted, in 2 weeks, i will make their shop, that is to retrofit my "out of stock at delivery time" towbar, have a look at it also.

Maybe they even have some update, that will solve this problem.
Ours started working better after the dealer did a couple of updates after the car "bricked" at a rapid charger and needed a 180 mile flatbed to get us home and the car to the dealer, we have not tried to use a rapid charger since but we need to give it a go sooner rather than later as we have a few long trips coming up.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom