Rapid chargers causing faults on ZS EV

We have an original ZS and never yet had a problem with normal rapid or fast chargers that were not caused by my own haste (doing things in the wrong order mainly).

The only charger network that caused me to pull my hair was Tesla destination chargers which always seemed to be a lottery as to whether it would work or not.
I didn’t know there was a right way for charging the car. I have the zs trophy concert LR could you ell me the correct order to follow please

I didn’t know there was a right way for charging the car. I have the zs trophy concert LR could you ell me the correct order to follow please
There really isn't a right and wrong way of charging. Just charge when you need to and find the most economical way of charging.

Reading all your comments and thinking I wonder what the MG manual says, well here is the instructions from the horses mouth, so to speak -

“Using an AC charging device:
1 Ensure the vehicle power system is OFF and all doors are closed.
2 Open the charging port door, remove the waterproof plug cover from the 7 pin charging plug connector.
3 Plug the cable from the charger point into the vehicle. Lock the vehicle.
4 On completion of the charge, shut off the power, unlock the vehicle and disconnect the plug from the vehicle.
5 Ensure the charge socket is free from debris, fit the waterproof plug cover. Close the charging point door.”

well here is the instructions from the horses mouth, so to speak -
Well, they don't tell you when to turn on the "charger" (before or after locking the plug). Worse, they appear to tell you to turn off the power to the "charger" before terminating the charge, although they seem to assume that you always charge to 100% so that the car shuts off first. But that's not always convenient or even possible.

So the official instructions aren't terribly helpful, in my opinion.

I've always just pressed stop on the charger. So my steps are.
park,
switch car off.
hookup the CCS (follow charger point instructions re this order)
then either lock the car and go for a walk/cuppa
or sit in the car unlocked and off (not in ready mode)
to finish, I unlock the car,
press stop on the charger
wait for the CSS to make that noise,
unplug and go.

Never had a problem (facelift ZS)
and last month we drove to the Alps and back, so plenty of rapid charging and one fast charge in Italy.
I've had power not available (gridserve) and charger finished unexpectedly (ionity) a few times, it's never caused a problem with the car, I've just moved charge point.
Maybe we were lucky, I don't think we have the updated firmware (out local garage although helpful were not even aware of a firmware upgrade)

Coulomb
Thanks for your reply
It is strange how the chargers worked fine on the previous days I used them. and then to not work a couple of days later.
I will be back in York some time later on this year it will be interesting to see if they work next time.

I had another issue today with mine, after coming back to car from shopping at LIDL, and stopping charge, when I switched on car it was showing red icon for the 12v battery and the car would not engage reverse or drive, was stuck in Neutral. Switched the car off once again and back on the issue disappeared and I was able to drive off like nothing happened.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-21 140129.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-21 140129.png
    1 MB · Views: 138
I had another issue today with mine, after coming back to car from shopping at LIDL, and stopping charge, when I switched on car it was showing red icon for the 12v battery and the car would not engage reverse or drive, was stuck in Neutral. Switched the car off once again and back on the issue disappeared and I was able to drive off like nothing happened.
Interesting, I haven’t heard of that problem before, which model do you drive ?

I had the same issue when using a Podpoint 7kW charger. Think this can occur if you have the car in ready mode when you end charge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you will find that the comments about rapid charges bricking the ZS EV’s Applied to the earliest long range because it was shipped last year and any car that was shipped after February or sent out after February had later software. My car was one of the early ones, And I heard the five updates done as advised by Miles Roberts under one of the Mgb after sales updates to prevent rapid chargers giving problems with the long range cars.

I think you will find that the comments about rapid charges bricking the ZS EV’s Applied to the earliest long range because it was shipped last year and any car that was shipped after February or sent out after February had later software. My car was one of the early ones, And I heard the five updates done as advised by Miles Roberts under one of the Mgb after sales updates to prevent rapid chargers giving problems with the long range cars.
🤞 Lusitano appears to be driving a ZS mk2 delivered mid July 22.....

Sorry, yeah AK OK is correct on my car. And it happened again yesterday(tesco podpoint) to my wife without her realising, and because it was on neutral the car rolled slowly and hit the post. Not the news I wanted to hear yesterday. 😔 she was able to start car again after switching off and back on again.

Yes, and on public free pod points I also have to turn on, stop charge and then restart to get car going. This has not changed since I updated the software.
I assume we are talking about the Tesco Pod Point CCS rapid chargers here and not the Pod Point 7 kW posts, as found at my local Tesco’s then ?.
Would you mind please explaining the steps you take ( in detail ) when using one of these Tesco CCS units then and what the car displays if you get the order process incorrect ???.
Thanks 🙏!.

I assume we are talking about the Tesco Pod Point CCS rapid chargers here and not the Pod Point 7 Kw posts, as found at my local Tesco’s then ?.
Would you mind please explaining the steps you take ( in detail ) when using one of these Tesco CCS units then and what the car displays if you get the order process incorrect ???.
Thanks 🙏!.
No my local Tesco Exra has four 7kW free chargers.
When returning to the car in order to stop and unlock.
1) switch on by pushing start button.
2) access charging management
3) press stop charging and remove lead when green light flashes on Pod point.
4) Having removed shut down car systems and restart and away you go.

No my local Tesco Exra has four 7kw free chargers.
What a faff....

Assuming you actually go in to Tesco (😁) what happens if, when you come back to the car, you click the remote unlock button whilst standing at the front of the car ? Does the charge cable release "zssst" noise happen? If so just pull the cable out a la mk1? Simples!

Or have they "improved" that too?

What a faff....

Assuming you actually go in to Tesco (😁) what happens if, when you come back to the car, you click the remote unlock button whilst standing at the front of the car ? Does the charge cable release "zssst" noise happen? If so just pull the cable out a la mk1? Simples!

Or have they "improved" that too?
No it does not unlock the plug unless you stop the charge. Hence the performance. However when charging at home if charge reaches the set percentage then the key unlock releases.

No it does not unlock the plug unless you stop the charge. Hence the performance. However when charging at home if charge reaches the set percentage then the key unlock releases.
It can also be unlocked by going into the app and pressing stop charge in the app. However the podpoints are situated in a position of no phone signal so this rarely works

No my local Tesco Exra has four 7kW free chargers.
Thank you for this !.
Is it the same "Faff" for stopping the charge when using a rapid unit ?.
It's a much easier process on the Gen 1 cars when using an A/C 7 kw post.
Just unlock the car via the key fob, and it automatically stop's the charge first, then releases the cable from the port a few seconds latter - simple.
This is way you expect it to operate surely ??????.
The four stage process above, is far to long winded and very easy to get wrong.

Thank you for this !.
Is it the same "Faff" for stopping the charge when using a rapid unit ?.
It's a much easier process on the Gen 1 cars when using an A/C 7 kw post.
Just unlock the car via the key fob, and it automatically stop's the charge first, then releases the cable from the port a few seconds latter - simple.
This is way you expect it to operate surely ??????.
The four stage process above, is far to long winded and very easy to get wrong.
It’s the only way unless you use the emergency release. Because the new model has theApp and charging management the process is slightly more complicated. Of course if the Tesco chargers were in a good position for signal you can stop it from the app, but if the signal is weak and the app is not in touch with the internet the process I said is the only way.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom