Real World Range of MG ZS EV

Let’s be honest in the MG ZS EV in winter, like minus or low 2 to 3 degrees with the heating on you can get 125 miles range on a run, anything less you must be really heavy footed…
Agree with that answer but it was also stipulated that there would be a roof rack! You can pick any number from 80 to 150 miles as the correct answer. 80 with an old battery, heavy right foot, fully loaded roof rack, four people with luggage and uphill in sub zero weather with all electrics turned on full.
A couple in a car, with fewer that 20k miles, driven sensibly on normal roads with bulky but not heavy luggage, (hence need for roof box) at temps above 5 degrees using heated seats, and HVAC judiciously should easily complete at least 130 miles. However, for the safety of themselves and others, a break after two hours driving would allow both the car and the driver a chance to refresh.
Enjoy the Skoda. Another good car.

The OP says he wants the car this year so assume he is going second hand as no way will you be getting ANY Skoda this year. The EV he has chosen is far bigger than an mg ev.

indeed. would be vastly cheaper to use the zs ev for most journeys and hire a car for the long trips.
The enyaq is dearer than a model 3 unless you opt for poverty spec. We normally visit north wales a couple if times a year in our leaf and charging there is terrible. I still wouldn't pay £10k more over a little inconvenience when most motoring is easier and more refined than an ICE vehicle.
Exactly, I have to do the same, North Wales, that is, a few times a year, it's possible but not practical in our current ZS, that's why I have ordered the new one, it's 315 miles, one lunch stop (hopefully). But until now I have kept my cough E class Mercedes estate..... diesel. to do that trip and pick up the occasional fridge! To be honest, I use it less and less but we still need 2 cars, but It's got to go soon.
I don't think OP is going to have much fun in the EV world.

I've read these posts with interest, and there are inconsistencies. The original poster claims that the ZS has a maximum range of 95 miles (152km) in winter. Then, the next poster agrees with him that this is about right, but then claims the 35-mile warning sounds at about 100 miles for him, which is 135 miles (217 km). That's a difference of 40 miles, which isn't the same by my maths.

Now, I live in a town where it doesn't get much below 3 Celsius in winter, so I don't have experience with deep cold or snow or frost or any of that. But 95 miles seems pessimistic to me, and I imagine you'd have to be a lead foot running in Sport mode to get only 152 km, more than 100 km less than the expected range under normal conditions.

And worrying about that range for two trips a year seems weird. Hire a car twice a year, especially if the rest of your journeys are local for that year.

I've read these posts with interest, and there are inconsistencies. The original poster claims that the ZS has a maximum range of 95 miles (152km) in winter. Then, the next poster agrees with him that this is about right, but then claims the 35-mile warning sounds at about 100 miles for him, which is 135 miles (217 km). That's a difference of 40 miles, which isn't the same by my maths.

Now, I live in a town where it doesn't get much below 3 Celsius in winter, so I don't have experience with deep cold or snow or frost or any of that. But 95 miles seems pessimistic to me, and I imagine you'd have to be a lead foot running in Sport mode to get only 152 km, more than 100 km less than the expected range under normal conditions.

And worrying about that range for two trips a year seems weird. Hire a car twice a year, especially if the rest of your journeys are local for that year.
You're right, and I can't see why people have said 95 miles, I have never got that little as far as I know. However, I'm not the sort of guy who records all my trips and charges etc. But my very basic maths go like this, I have done 9000 miles in my car over 21 months, so hot, cold and in the middle, my average miles per kwh is 3.8 and that has never been reset. So, 44 Kwh multiplied by 3.8 is 167.2 miles. obviously, you need to leave some spare. but I would be confident, driving as I do, which isn't silly slow, but always in eco that I could do a round trip of 150 miles from full.

You're right, and I can't see why people have said 95 miles, I have never got that little as far as I know. However, I'm not the sort of guy who records all my trips and charges etc. But my very basic maths go like this, I have done 9000 miles in my car over 21 months, so hot, cold and in the middle, my average miles per kwh is 3.8 and that has never been reset. So, 44 Kwh multiplied by 3.8 is 167.2 miles. obviously, you need to leave some spare. but I would be confident, driving as I do, which isn't silly slow, but always in eco that I could do a round trip of 150 miles from full.
I agree some people must have feet of lead….

I agree some people must have feet of lead….
The only thing I can think of for using 95 miles is the EV database has the ZS as that figure for motorway winter driving, presumably at 70mph.

Well yesterday I did an 88 mile round trip driving at roughly 50/60 mph in normal mode and I had 2 bars left on the HV battery 48 miles on GOM so I am thinking about 120 miles would of been achievable and more in Eco mode.

Well yesterday I did an 88 mile round trip driving at roughly 50/60 mph in normal mode and I had 2 bars left on the HV battery 48 miles on GOM so I am thinking about 120 miles would of been achievable and more in Eco mode.
Absolutely, and I assume you weren't doing an "economy run"? One thing I didn't mention before, I live in Norfolk so no hills to speak of, it's a lot like driving on a snooker table, which helps, but also no motorways, that's a bit of a mixed blessing.

I have to say, I am disappointed with the range. I believed the marketing hype with a pinch of salt and thought I'd get 150 miles. Then I did a motorway run up the M40 to Herefordshire. Had to stop at the instavolt chargers at Banbury with 18 miles remaining! That was a journey of 78 miles - a total of 96 miles. I was cruising at 75mph all the way, suffice to say I didn't do that again, 65mph all the way from there to hereford. I'm selling and buying a Hyundai Kona which apparently has more realistic range.

I have to say, I am disappointed with the range. I believed the marketing hype with a pinch of salt and thought I'd get 150 miles. Then I did a motorway run up the M40 to Herefordshire. Had to stop at the instavolt chargers at Banbury with 18 miles remaining! That was a journey of 78 miles - a total of 96 miles. I was cruising at 75mph all the way, suffice to say I didn't do that again, 65mph all the way from there to hereford. I'm selling and buying a Hyundai Kona which apparently has more realistic range.
The Kona will be just the same at 75 mph, WLTP is not a realistic figure for any car.

In my opinion, either your battery wasn't full when you started, there is something wrong with the car or you had everything electrical on as well as speeding. according to my maths again you achieved 2.2 miles per Kwh, well done, a new low! Go and get a Kona, you'll find out the same is true. :)

Wo there guys, easy! I love the MG too, I really wanted it to work out for me.

Driving around town I routinely get 3.8-4 M/KWH but as soon as I hit the motorway and there's no traffic i sit at 75-80 and I have setting 1 on the air with neutral temp, running lights and a phone charging. By the time I've driven 50 miles I'm down to around 2 M/KWH. Does nobody else have that experience? Is everyone driving at 65 with nothing turned on?

And by the way, the Kona obviously won't be the same. It's got a 64KW battery and weighs less. The EV database website has the attached stats for the Kona.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20211111-200241_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20211111-200241_Chrome.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 104

Driving around town I routinely get 3.8-4 M/KWH but as soon as I hit the motorway and there's no traffic i sit at 75-80 and I have setting 1 on the air with neutral temp, running lights and a phone charging. By the time I've driven 50 miles I'm down to around 2 M/KWH. Does nobody else have that experience? Is everyone driving at 65 with nothing turned on?

And by the way, the Kona obviously won't be the same. It's got a 64KW battery and weighs less. The EV database website has the attached stats for the Kona.

Kona's 301 (WLTP) miles down to 175 miles highway in cold weather is a 58% drop, Zs's 163 (WLTP) miles to 96 miles (your figure) is 59%, just about the same and I'll bet the Kona does less than 175 miles at 80 mph in cold weather.
I think you'll be disappointed in the Kona's range as well TBH.

Of course I'd rather drive for 200-250 miles in a Kona but 175 miles is a lot better than the barely 100 I get from the ZS! West Wales, our furthest destination is 231 miles so I'll only need to charge once on the way in winter and maybe not at all in summer! I'll take that...

I don't think most people who drive an EV and want decent economy drive at 75-80mph. I am a little surprised that it's down to 2.0m/kwh though. All I can think of is that you're doing quite a bit of speed fluctuating so that's wasting energy too.

I wish I had the time to do a proper repeatable test, doing say 10miles on cruise control consistently at 50, then 60, then 70, then 80mph, resetting the trip between each and seeing what the efficiency differences are.

The aero is very bad on the ZS, so a better designed car would loose less energy relatively at higher speeds.

I think you're right, I do fluctuate my speed quite a lot and when you settle at around 65-68 on cruise control for an hour it is a marked difference...

I think you're right, I do fluctuate my speed quite a lot and when you settle at around 65-68 on cruise control for an hour it is a marked difference...
This is something folk mention a lot in regard to regen 1 vs 3, using regen 1 maybe more economical for "coasting/slowing down" on motorways vs letting it always regen.
I tend to use ACC so doesn't make much difference to me - I don't get any regen lol!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom