If you read this thread in full, you'll find a whole conversation about it: in essence all cars are prone to condensation and the MG4 rear lights suffer particularly. There is no known permanent fix.

Not sure where you are getting your figures from but all new cars depreciate as soon as they are driven off the forecourt: 20-25% in first year is normal and 50-60% in first 3 years.

Remember though you can't compare the price you paid with the price a dealer will offer you today, the best prices are on the second hand private market as dealers pay 20% VAT on any car they sell and they'll also need to cover their overheads and make a profit, or why bother buying your car.
Just come back from America and put car up for sale and now getting £18999 so that’s where I’m getting my figures from. MG deals and on deals so you put your MG4 up for sale, see how much you can get on it? Who are the dealers on the forum then???

Just come back from America and put car up for sale and now getting £18999 so that’s where I’m getting my figures from. MG deals and on deals so you put your MG4 up for sale, see how much you can get on it? Who are the dealers on the forum then???
I'm not interested in selling my MG4, I love it. I'm on a PCP with an MGFV of £16,250 after 4 years and 40,000 miles, so the depreciation isn't an issue as I can hand it back if the car is worth less - the finance company take the depreciation risk.

But, since you ask, the cheapest MG4 LR Trophy on Autotrader right now is £21,975. There's a bunch of year old ones around the £23,000 mark, which is more typical, and younger ones well above that.

If you take 25% off £31,500 you get £23,625. So the values are roughly as I stated and the same as the average for any year-old car from any make.

Now, that's not the same as a dealer will offer you - since they need to make a profit on the sale and have to add the costs of their overheads, a service, marketing, VAT and anything that might need doing that hasn't been disclosed (people often change a relatively new car when it has a fault and they tend not to disclose it).

So when selling a year old car to a dealer you'll likely not get more than £20-21k. As I said, you'd want to sell it privately to get the best price.

£18,999 sounds a bit low for yours, but probably what one of the big "we'll buy your car" secondhand companies would offer - they tend to offer less than the average dealer but are also less choosy, people like them because there's less hassle and haggling, but you're paying for it in the price you're given.

If you don't want to lose money in depreciation your options are as follows:
  • Don't buy a new car (by far the best option, run an old car into the ground).
  • Hang on to your new car for a long time (ie don't sell after 6 or 12 months), and then it slows down.
  • Use a PCP with a decent MGFV or lease it and then it is somebody else's problem.

Still looks bloody awful especially given that the back end lights are a feature of the car so it stands out. How can it be fixed ? Is this covered by the cars warranty?

Last edited:
Just called mg Perkins in Essex, they are saying before looking at it must call mg in china so much for 7 years warranty

I get lots of condensation on the outside of mine, but none inside.

I know there are loads of posts in the search, but picked this one out.

Most of my cars have had some condensation in the light fittings at some point (All German) and my rear light bar is no exception if it is cold enough outside.
Always disappears and is normal (see all previous explanations)

Just to reassure its not just MG, I passed this 73 plate Porsche Macan GTS this morning. RRP £71,700!

20240124_113234.jpg

I am getting lots of condensation in the rear light cluster and light bar of my MG 4. I am concerned because although the condensation does disappear when the temperature increases, as to wether all that moisture inside what should surely be a sealed unit will cause problems over time. Is the condensation normal or is it a problem that needs to be addressed? Anybody else experiencing this problem?

I've just done another thread merge on this. Seems to be something a lot of people are noticing. If you have a look at the earlier posts here, hopefully you'll find something.

My rear tail light had bad condensation and visible micro cracks, took a lot of arguing to get MG to replace it under warranty. They wanted to charge me £450 for the part alone!!!! Horrible company trying to make out these defects are not covered.

Never noticed on headlights. Haven’t really noticed any on my taillights either. I do park outside two weeks out of four, the rest of the time in a heated underground car park. Maybe that makes all the difference. You really got to let the car dry off.
Having said that, On my Kia Stonic, which has clear headlights but with a flat top part, and always parked outside, I’ve not noticed any condensation front or back but I might keep a closer look 🤷🏻‍♂️

I only get it in one of my headlights and as my car is brand new, only had it since Monday I’ve raised it with the dealer.

@tsedge thanks for the post, sounds like in small amounts it’s fairly normal.

I've merged this into the existing thread on rear lights condensation, even though this is headlights. The issues are likely to be similar, and it's good to keep it all in one place.

It only be 9 months with water coming in to my back lights and now my Perkins mg garage are saying mg china have given the ok for it to be fix asking for my mileage that was 2 months ago still waiting for parts from china ? Good job we have 7 years warranty hope it stops raining soon

18 months in / 20,000 miles (and noted that Les Burrows also had this on the forum pod cast). But since day 1, have never cleared the N/S rear light in that it always has condensation in it, no major issue (alongside the sagging rear undertray), but should I be getting a hair dryer out or asking the dealer to sort this at the next service (for free?) ??

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back