KimWright

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
[ Moderator edit: Half a dozen posts have been merged into this one thread. Please use this thread if you feel that you really have something to add to this subject, after having read this thread. I suspect it's been fully covered many times over by now. ]

MG ZS Ev estimated mileage on full charge has dropped from 280 to 240. Why? (car is 6 months old)

Last edited by a moderator:
Colder weather / the way you drive especially if you haven't reset both trip meters

Thanks. Have not really used the heating. I am doing regular 120 mile trips up and down the M5. Even though the estimated mileage is less, the percentage of battery used is about the same - 54%. Is this what is meant by the trip meter?

Ours dropped from about 300 to 280 now. I'm sure it will come down a bit more, expecting close to 250 or 260 during peak winter

I did a rare full charge the other night on our ZS EV LR and received an estimated / predicted range of 273 miles the following morning.
My more normal charging cycle is charging to 80% SOC.
This predicts around 211 - 212 miles of predicted range.
Always in normal mode with everything turned off and both trips reset.
That’s my chosen schedule.

Throughout spring summer, charge the car overnight for 100% charge and usually gives estimated range of around 210 miles.

Now it is a bit colder, 100% is only showing range of around 130 miles when fully charged.

Surely the weather shouldn’t have such a wild affect on the range ?

Nearly due it’s one year service

Throughout spring summer, charge the car overnight for 100% charge and usually gives estimated range of around 210 miles.

Now it is a bit colder, 100% is only showing range of around 130 miles when fully charged.

Standard range model I guess ?.
If you are concerned about the predicted range after conducting a 100% charge, then try this.
Zero BOTH of your distance trip recorders before your next charging cycle to 100%.
"That's more like what I expected to see" :- I hear you cry (y) .

Last edited:
Cold weather does have that affect. On a LRTC, in the summer I will get up to 340 or 350 mile range. Even with a roof box ( albeit a Thule aerodynamic one for EVs) and fully loaded for holiday with 2 adults, 2 teenagers I was getting 270sh on the motorway in the summer. Yesterday in the minus 1'sh weather, with 1 person and no luggage etc, it was down to around 220'sh range equivalent ( wltp is 273).

I picked a model that would get near 200sh in the cold on a motorway, so if I visit my folks (189 miles away) I could get there with minimal charging on route in the depths of winter. Obviously in the future if I can get an EV model (from whoever taking into account price of course) with more range and / or quicker ultra rapid charging I will. But the current LRT ZSEV meets my personal minimum requirements.

If you have an SR seeing 210 miles predicted is optimistic even in the summer. My guess is you were getting more like 190ish.

Better to state mi/kWh as the GOM can be vary variable and is not an exact thing.

I'm seeing about 3-3.2 mi/kWh over the last week in these temps. Over shorter trips it can be as low as 2.7.

Summer was around 3.8-4.

I was just going to post asking about this. I have a long range MG4. In the summer I was getting about 380 miles after a full charge now it's about 230 miles! Is this what others are experiencing too?

Standard range model I guess ?.
If you are concerned about the predicted range after conducting a 100% charge, then try this.
Zero BOTH of your distance trip recorders before your next charging cycle to 100%.
"That's more like what I expected to see" :- I hear you cry (y) .
Why does zeroing the trip recorder affect the predicted range?

Gotcha. Nothing useful then

Here’s a photo when I first charged it to 100% in Sept (warm) and another today (freezing). Big difference!

Attachments

• IMG_7358.png
    IMG_7358.png
    573.6 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_7798.png
    IMG_7798.png
    507.6 KB · Views: 273
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back