Regen strength

robrymond

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Picked the car up yesterday and did some driving around with about 20% battery and regen on high seemed on par with the Audi Q4 I drive where it is nearly one touch driving.

However tonight I've been out and the battery was on 99% and it just didn't feel as though there was any resistance in the highest setting. Is this because the battery is fully charged?

You'll also experience the same if the battery pack is too cold or too hot... Basically the regen is like a cricketer... It needs to be just right

There is no regen between 95-100% charge. Most cars have this as there's nowhere for the current to go.
When my old BMW i3 was fully charged and I lifted off the accelerator it automatically applied the brakes to slow down at about the same rate as regen would when it wasn't fully charged, so it always behaved about the same regardless of state of charge. I used to hear the brakes come on if the discs had a bit of light surface rust on them. First time I lifted off in my fully charged MG4 and sailed merrily on it took me a moment to realise I had to apply the brakes myself! I was always impressed as to how sorted the i3 was, especially as mine was an early 2014 version.

When my old BMW i3 was fully charged and I lifted off the accelerator it automatically applied the brakes to slow down at about the same rate as regen would when it wasn't fully charged, so it always behaved about the same regardless of state of charge. I used to hear the brakes come on if the discs had a bit of light surface rust on them. First time I lifted off in my fully charged MG4 and sailed merrily on it took me a moment to realise I had to apply the brakes myself! I was always impressed as to how sorted the i3 was, especially as mine was an early 2014 version.
I guess this is how I expected the MG4 to react. It made sense that there is no regen taking place but I still thought the reaction would be the same.

I had an i3 and mine if fully charged would have no regen at all. It could be quite alarming when I first had the car given the temporary absence of the normally strong regen it did result in some “oh sh*t” moments approaching junctions. As soon as the battery had depleted a bit then normal regen returned, quite quickly I recall when down to 99%. I agree it was a very well sorted car.

nearly caught me out the first time I fully charged the car, I live on a steep hill and regen allows me to roll down at a reasonable speed, had to hit the brakes sharpish the first time regen didn't kick in, didn't notice the warning that comes up when you start the car until a later date.

I believe no regen is more obvious after say 95%. I believe you can set the top limit for a charge in the infotainment which is recommended for better battery life. It serves two purposes if we are to set it to 95%, constant regen and battery lifetime.

I had an i3 and mine if fully charged would have no regen at all. It could be quite alarming when I first had the car given the temporary absence of the normally strong regen it did result in some “oh sh*t” moments approaching junctions. As soon as the battery had depleted a bit then normal regen returned, quite quickly I recall when down to 99%. I agree it was a very well sorted car.
So not just MGs that behave differently! Mine definitely (audibly) put the brakes on at a junction not half a mile from our house after a full charge. It had a tiny battery so I guess it could have dropped to 99% by there, but I still heard the brakes come in.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back