Remove both rear spoilers on trophy version ?

IIRC one dealer suggested that some of the extra range of the SE LR over the Trophy was due the trophy front indicators occupying an aero slot in the front of the car.

IIRC one dealer suggested that some of the extra range of the SE LR over the Trophy was due the trophy front indicators occupying an aero slot in the front of the car.
It would be interesting to do some testing measuring pressures at different points of the car with and without spoilers fitted.

many don't understand what a 'spoiler' is for - it's either to (a) reduce drag, by detaching the rooftop flow, making it turbulent and therefore reducing the power required to keep the tail vortices forming, or (b) it's actually an inverted 'wing', intended to create downforce, usually so as to increase the quantity of friction available from the affected wheels, thus enabling more torque to be applied. The downside (sorry) of course, being that wings create drag, and a fixed-incidence wing creates more drag the faster it goes. I assume the Trophy has an inverted wing (sorry didn't look closely enough) though why a car with only 250Nm max torque requires extra aerodynamically-derived downforce, given the ~ 4.5kN already placed (by the vehicle mass and us fb's inside) on each rear driving wheel, i can't figure out. Style over substance? (but it does look better than the SR's 'speed-brake' flaps...)

yeah; it seems the whole design ethos for 'cars' is totally screwed-up; with a few notable exceptions, adding drag (so diminishing the range available) seems to be 'normal' these days. All started by the ridiculously nonsensical 'SUV' bullsh*t-world, which has reversed 30 years of aerodynamic improvement. Madness. The only big winners here are Tesla, whose car designers recognised the energy-density issue with ev's - and made the aero's good to compensate - but who themselves are now dabbling in brick-latrines-on-wheels. Aptera, anyone...?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back