Replacing factory/stock MG4 tyres

drivethru

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hey all.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (I did run a search but could only find a tyres thread on the mg5 forum).

I was keen to learn about members on this forum and their experiences of changing the stock tyres.

I have read a few posts about vibration being caused by the tyres at high speeds and also noise related issues that went away once the stock MG4 tyres were changed?

Would anybody recommend any tyres that they've tried and tested on the MG4? I would love to learn about pre and post experiences, cost of tyres and fitting.

Ps a small current annoyance of mine on the stock tyres is that they screech / make a high pitched sound sometimes when I accelerate hard from a low speed.

Thanks in advance.

On my last three cars (BMW and 2 Golf GTi) I've put Michelin Crossclimate tyres on the cars. Very very quiet, with excellent grip in summer, and unusually good grip in winter as they are all season tyres. With the MG4 being rear wheel drive, icy roads can be a bit of a problem (having had a BMW in the past), so I may well change mine before the winter.

I really recommend those tyres, though the MG4 size and load rating makes them about £120 each, but there are often offers (eg £100 cashback if you buy 4) later in the year.

Yes my car has improved so much since the dealer exchanged the chinese rubber with Crossclimate 2's. Car suffered badly with vibration and noise above 50 mph. Dealer found the tyres had flat spots on them probably caused in transit sitting on a hot ships deck for weeks. Done over 7000 miles on Crossclimates and swear by them as all weather and very quiet.

I don't have any issues with the tyres that came with the car, but I'll definitely be wanting to change them in November. When I had my Golf GTi I kept two sets of tyres, summer and winter. The winter tyres were worth their weight in gold in the snow and ice, but noisy in the summer. (I kept them on all summer in 2020.)

I'm undecided as to whether to do the same with the MG4 or to go down the all-seasons route. I'm hearing that all-season tyres are very good these days. Can anyone who drove an MG4 through last winter give their perspective on this?

I don't have any issues with the tyres that came with the car, but I'll definitely be wanting to change them in November. When I had my Golf GTi I kept two sets of tyres, summer and winter. The winter tyres were worth their weight in gold in the snow and ice, but noisy in the summer. (I kept them on all summer in 2020.)

I'm undecided as to whether to do the same with the MG4 or to go down the all-seasons route. I'm hearing that all-season tyres are very good these days. Can anyone who drove an MG4 through last winter give their perspective on this?
Yes, had mine fitted in November and were brilliant through the winter.

Hey all.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (I did run a search but could only find a tyres thread on the mg5 forum).

I was keen to learn about members on this forum and their experiences of changing the stock tyres.

I have read a few posts about vibration being caused by the tyres at high speeds and also noise related issues that went away once the stock MG4 tyres were changed?

Would anybody recommend any tyres that they've tried and tested on the MG4? I would love to learn about pre and post experiences, cost of tyres and fitting.

Ps a small current annoyance of mine on the stock tyres is that they screech / make a high pitched sound sometimes when I accelerate hard from a low speed.

Thanks in advance.

I had one of the first batch of Trophy in September 2022. The factory fit tyres were faulty and causing vibration above 60mph. It took a long time to get confirmation of this, several balancing and re balancing visits. Changing the tyres was a blessed relief, the vibration disappeared and the road noise better, smoother ride.

I went for Falken ZE210 largely based on the review you will see clicking on the link. They were not expensive, I have had Falken tyres and been pleased before, I was impressed with the stated wet performance also. Apparently higher rolling resistance but I notice no difference in economy. Very pleased with these for tyres at such a good price.

The above linked website is excellent I find for researching tyres by the way.

Same with my Jan ’23 Trophy.
Two tyres had flat spots (Premium Contact C).

Ended up going for PremiumContact 7 all round so all matching. Grip and ride improved plus no reverb or vibration anymore.

Replaced mine almost immediately with all season Goodyear vector.
Huge improvement all round, with obvious benefits in snow.

Would you say the snow performance was as good as regular winter tyres? I'm wondering if I can get such good snow performance without having to change my tyres twice a year, as I have been in the habit of doing.

Would you say the snow performance was as good as regular winter tyres? I'm wondering if I can get such good snow performance without having to change my tyres twice a year, as I have been in the habit of doing.
I would say it is good enough for the Midlands, where we only get snow a few days a year, certainly the grip on the crossclimates is far better than conventional tyres, without the cost and hassle of changing them twice a year. They're alo very quiet. You probably get a lot more snow!

There are other all season tyres, the crossclimate are probably the most expensive, and a good review of the range here:

Thanks for that. I've still got a good few months to make up my mind. But we do get winters here, 800 feet up in the Pentland Hills. Not every year, but this can happen.

1688474441394.png

I can see why you might invest in better tyres if you have bought the car outright and intend to keep it for a long period but for those of us regularly changing every two or three years spending an immediate extra £400 seems a bit over the top. i would prefer a car that was fitted with appropriate tyres when I bought it!

I've bought mine outright and intend to keep it. I'm not quite sure what I'll do with the supplied tyres. I could keep them as summer tyres but that would probably lock me into continuing to change my tyres twice a year. If I get all-season tyres I might just sell the existing ones.

£400? That cheap? One of the reasons I bit the bullet and let the Golf go was that it needed four new summer tyres and that was going to set me back £1,000.

MG4 delivered in March: original continental tires are OK however, I do agree with you; they're a bit poor on what I was expecting.

7000 miles in (on the MG4) and still quite a bit of tread left. The MG4 is a lease car, so it'll be up to Tusker what they put on the thing

I do, however, have Cross climate 2's on my personal golf and I swear by them. They are one of those products that you admire how good it is. One point of advice: only put them on if you do many miles. I've done 25k in my golf (since fitting CC2's) and the things aren't wearing down!! Not a significant issue (at all) but now the second car is almost sat there ... I'll have to replace the tires on date before they wear :D

CC2: A truly fantastic tyre - hoping Tusker will pay for them to be put on the MG4 when it comes to replacing the Continentals (from Wish.)

So glad to hear positive experiences of CC2 on the MG4
I’m waiting for my SE due end of this month (fingers crossed)
I put them on my existing Kia Stonic literally a week after I got the car as the OE tyres (continental) were shockingly bad!
The CC2s transformed the handling completely. The car is a joy to drive rain or shine or snow. And at this point my mind is made up: a new set of CC2s for the MG4 when it finally arrives

£400? That cheap? One of the reasons I bit the bullet and let the Golf go was that it needed four new summer tyres and that was going to set me back £1,000.

Have you ever tried blackcircles.com ? The Falkens that I am currently running and very pleased with were £400 for 4 tyres, fully fitted. The Michelin Cross Climate 2 for MG4 are currently £672 fully fitted

The tyres for the Golf GTi were shockingly expensive.

I'm going to keep the original tyres on the MG4 for now, and make a decision about replacements in November, when I'd usually change to winter tyres.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back