• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Replacing Head Unit, Controlling Pilot, Lighting, etc

jhunterwu

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing the head unit with an Android 10 head unit, but how can i still be able to control settings for MG Pilot, Lane Assist, Speed Assist, Lighting, etc. I also won't get visual feedback from the air conditioner.

It’s the problem with modern car head units that integrate so many controls through them, aftermarket isn’t possible unless you are willing to loose those features / drive blind.

I'm replacing the head unit with an Android 10 head unit, but how can i still be able to control settings for MG Pilot, Lane Assist, Speed Assist, Lighting, etc. I also won't get visual feedback from the air conditioner.
I think you can't!!

I know the OE head unit is a bit crap but why would you want to replace it?

I can’t see an Android unit performing any less badly.

I know the OE head unit is a bit crap but why would you want to replace it?

I can’t see an Android unit performing any less badly.
Any less badly than this artrocity of a head unit?;) I mean, come on, has the world gone insane?;)

What do you think you’ll gain from it though? Most Android head units have similarly crap interfaces / performance yet you’ll lose the OE stuff like the HVAC info and the settings you’ve identified.

There are ways to interface with stuff like that - I saw someone doing it with a Jaguar XF - but it’s difficult and likely to be even more of a software engineering effort for a MG.

What do you think you’ll gain from it though? Most Android head units have similarly crap interfaces / performance yet you’ll lose the OE stuff like the HVAC info and the settings you’ve identified.

There are ways to interface with stuff like that - I saw someone doing it with a Jaguar XF - but it’s difficult and likely to be even more of a software engineering effort for a MG.

Crap interfaces? Well, it's the same interface as your smartphone.

As a GNU/Linux and GNU/HURD software engineer and VR/AR operating system controller interface enthusiast, I can understand your frustration, but I don't think that was what you meant;)

I'm accustomed to my cloud apps being instantly available on my 10" head unit (soon 13"), that all my RSS feeds and cloud drives sync, my Plex, HBO, Youtube, Amazon Prime and Netflix. My Google Assistant. I'm also DJ'ing while I drive, with various dj'ing software and audio sequencers. I also record audio notes with Evernote. Heck, I even rap.

I am intrigued by how I can interface to this. What protocol? This can be accessed using OBD?

Sounds like you need to concentrate on driving to me but check this out CAN bus hacking Jaguar XF - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

If this chap managed to interface an RPi with systems like climate on an XF, I’d assume it’s achievable on the MG too. Maybe some of the folks working on OVMS will know what you can and can’t get on the CANBUS.

As a GNU/Linux and GNU/HURD software engineer and VR/AR operating system controller interface enthusiast, I can understand your frustration, but I don't think that was what you meant;)

I'm accustomed to my cloud apps being instantly available on my 10" head unit (soon 13"), that all my RSS feeds and cloud drives sync, my Plex, HBO, Youtube, Amazon Prime and Netflix. My Google Assistant. I'm also DJ'ing while I drive, with various dj'ing software and audio sequencers. I also record audio notes with Evernote. Heck, I even rap.

I am intrigued by how I can interface to this. What protocol? This can be accessed using OBD?
Don't you have a house, do you live in your car ? :unsure:

This is quite interesting as exactly the same subject appears on other car forums. I’m not personally a fan of non-oem equipment, but each to their own. I’m intrigued by DJing whilst driving and combined with the number of “video centric” apps does ask questions about distractions from driving and safety. I follow quite a bit of car related material on YouTube (on my iPad at home) and never cease to be be amazed by the changes people make to new vehicles. It’s a free world I suppose.

Ok, I replaced the head unit and nothing works;)

I have my 10" here, but final product will be 13.3".

However, there's no power to the unit.

Anyone got any wiring schematics here?

Snapshot (5).jpg

Take some photos of the back of the original head unit so we can see what wires and connectors were used.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom