Reverse Camera SE LR

has anyone found a way to better angle the camera so that you have a better view of whats behind vs the current angle which is showing mostly the floor

has anyone found a way to better angle the camera so that you have a better view of whats behind vs the current angle which is showing mostly the floor
I did see a camera on it's own that had a selection of shims supplied with it, maybe someone into 3D printing could print some shims?

Alternatively in #91 I left a link for an identical camera but with an adjustable eyeball. I'd be tempted to go that route.

I did see a camera on it's own that had a selection of shims supplied with it, maybe someone into 3D printing could print some shims?

Alternatively in #91 I left a link for an identical camera but with an adjustable eyeball. I'd be tempted to go that route.
Thanks for sharing the link to this camera. Do you have this working with your car? Trying to understand if its compatible.

Separately, I installed the camera back in November, over the past month, I'm finding that whenever I go to reverse, the camera isn't coming on instantly anymore. It either takes a few seconds or I need to go in and out of reverse gear a few times. This started after the camera started to flicker and get a bunch of lines

Thanks for sharing the link to this camera. Do you have this working with your car? Trying to understand if its compatible.

Separately, I installed the camera back in November, over the past month, I'm finding that whenever I go to reverse, the camera isn't coming on instantly anymore. It either takes a few seconds or I need to go in and out of reverse gear a few times. This started after the camera started to flicker and get a bunch of lines
No I've a fixed camera but I'm considering swapping to the adjustable. I can see it has the same connector, so am reasonably confident it'd be compatible.

Your reluctant installation, if I were suffering the same problem I think I'd be considering a loose connection or maybe the camera itself has become slow to wake up. The electronics box only powers the camera whilst in reverse. So the camera is having a cold start each time you reverse.

With regards to the angle of view of the fixed camera, I've attached an image so others can make their own conclusions as to whether it needs tilting up or not.

I have to say having used it for a month now, I wouldn't want to be without it.

Attachments

• PXL_20240220_153621147.jpg
    PXL_20240220_153621147.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I would say that the camera would benefit from being tilted up a few degrees to increase the reach of the view. Those overlay lines look "odd".

I would say that the camera would benefit from being tilted up a few degrees to increase the reach of the view. Those overlay lines look "odd".
As its a 170 degree camera, it only needs tilting up a little as too much and the spoiler will be in view, but yes it would look better, more useful? probably not.

The tri-colour distance lines are an option on almost all of the cameras out there, bearing in mind I purchased the camera separate from the AliExpress electronics. You can cut a wire loop (at the camera) to disable them, I chose to keep them in the end as with such a wide angle of view distance is very confusing.

You then have the longer orange lines that are a function of the electronics and bend with the steering wheel, they do a great job of predicting where you are going at a given lock.

No I've a fixed camera but I'm considering swapping to the adjustable. I can see it has the same connector, so am reasonably confident it'd be compatible.

Your reluctant installation, if I were suffering the same problem I think I'd be considering a loose connection or maybe the camera itself has become slow to wake up. The electronics box only powers the camera whilst in reverse. So the camera is having a cold start each time you reverse.

With regards to the angle of view of the fixed camera, I've attached an image so others can make their own conclusions as to whether it needs tilting up or not.

I have to say having used it for a month now, I wouldn't want to be without it.

Just spotted that the seller updated the description. At the top it says that the unit doesn't support AHD, only CVBS

Interesting, maybe the adjustable eyeball won't work then so it would shims to improve the view angle. I'd not previously come across the two definitions.

The camera I used was this simply described as a 720p HD. Still working a treat.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Interesting, maybe the adjustable eyeball won't work then so it would shims to improve the view angle. I'd not previously come across the two definitions.

The camera I used was this simply described as a 720p HD. Still working a treat.
I think the adjustable camera has a wire loop you can cut to change to CVBS. i'll report back with results when I've fitted it in the next few weeks i hope.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you tackle the electronics box first, you can check camera operation just in your lap before dismantling the tailgate.

The two loops on the camera I had were to provide a mirror image or remove the coloured range lines.

Good luck with the fitting, the hardest part is getting started and removing the glovebox.

If only. The hardest part is finding the fault with the ecall system flashing up warnings and errors every 20 minutes or so. As of today my local garage have done everything they can think of, so it it's being escalated to MG UK. I don't dare start on the camera until the ecall is fixed.

Excellent videos by the way. I wouldn't have attempted it without them.

If only. The hardest part is finding the fault with the ecall system flashing up warnings and errors every 20 minutes or so. As of today my local garage have done everything they can think of, so it it's being escalated to MG UK. I don't dare start on the camera until the ecall is fixed.

Excellent videos by the way. I wouldn't have attempted it without them.
I am having a similar problem with the eCall and no luck yet with the garage.

The recent 'Emergency services call out button' thread has useful info on checking it is setup properly. The button to do this in car as described for the trophy is not present on the SE, but using the app showed me it had a blank ecall number. Setting it to UK seemed to work but I still got one failure yesterday on the way back from the garage. I'll try it for a week to see if the behaviour has changed at all.

Did the camera image not originally show up on the main screen ? Sorry im just a bit confused why this would be necessary or is it just because its a bette quality image ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom