Reverse Camera SE LR

So the pink is defintely dead, as is the red “acc” cable, but the orange “acc” cable is live, so:

Attachments

• IMG_8152.jpeg
    IMG_8152.jpeg
    330.3 KB · Views: 41
Some further info:

Using just the camera and long cable I powered the black red pair from 12V, and connected the phono to a TV. It worked fine (as soon as I stopped the camera pointing at the ground 😊).

Current 62ma. Worked down to 6V, very fuzzy at 5.

So the pink is defintely dead, as is the red “acc” cable, but the orange “acc” cable is live, so:
Good news 🙂.

Any idea what ACC etc do. I'm guessing the 2 ACC leads are to power the 2 indicator cameras when indicating and the 360 powers the front camera. That doesn't all make sense quite though (e.g. why is one of your acc's on).

@Edd Beesley good news, rather odd WRT the PINK. Will be interesting to see what @DixieTGS finds.

If I were in your situation I think I'd resort to taking power from the reverse light.

Who are these crazy people dismantling their brand new cars :ROFLMAO:

ACC I’d expect to be “accessory power” or when you’ve put the keys to second position in old money. Basically, goes live when the car is “awake”.

@Edd Beesley good news, rather odd WRT the PINK. Will be interesting to see what @DixieTGS finds.

If I were in your situation I think I'd resort to taking power from the reverse light.

Who are these crazy people dismantling their brand new cars :ROFLMAO:
Mad that it’s required, I really think a reverse cam should be included on the SE!

I didn’t want to faff about with getting to the light cluster as well, so I’m happy with this solution, and it means no modification to the stock looms either, I could remove the box and it’s all as it was!

I don't know if the camera will fail sooner if powered all the time, probably not.
I've had a cheap PCB camera mounted outside in only a plastic box working for 25-30 years so I would risk it.

I can't believe I've done the calculations right, but you will lose about 2.5m of range for every hour you drive!

Yes that is metres not miles 😀

I'll look at that if I end up in the same situation, especially as I really need to get an LED reversing lamp fitted ASAP - I can see so little with the current one.

I'll look at that if I end up in the same situation, especially as I really need to get an LED reversing lamp fitted ASAP - I can see so little with the current one.
Are the current reversing lights incandescent old school bulbs then? We're in deepest rural, be useful to make them brighter.

Are the current reversing lights incandescent old school bulbs then? We're in deepest rural, be useful to make them brighter.
I'm pretty certain there's at least one thread which covers it and has links to suitable products on amazon.

I'm going to do reversing and interior for sure. Others also do rear indicators but I haven't looked to see how dim they are yet.

For anyone looking to change the camera to an adjustable one, I got 4.01£ 75% OFF|AHD 1920x1080P CVBS Vehicle 170° Car Rear View Camera Night Vision Fisheye Golden Lens HD Universal Reverse 12V IP68 Waterproof| | - AliExpress

As expected, AHD mode doesn't work, only CVBS. I tried to use the existing cable from the old camera but that didn't work. I had to do use the cabling from the new camera to make it work, even though both are the 4pin cable. No sure why the old cable didn't work.

I would say being able to adjust the camera to see more directly to what is behind me is much better. Anecdotally, the image quality appears to be brighter and better too

When you say 'had to use the new cable's do you mean you replaced the cable from the glovebox all the way to the camera?

Were any other amendments required?

Does the tailgate end of the cable have a phono plug or just the 4 pin smaller connector?

Thanks

When you say 'had to use the new cable's do you mean you replaced the cable from the glovebox all the way to the camera?

Were any other amendments required?

Does the tailgate end of the cable have a phono plug or just the 4 pin smaller connector?

Thanks
Yea, I had to replace the full cable from the glovebox to the camera.

I replaced the existing camera with the new one, ran the new cable from the glovebox to the camera, and cut the orange wire on the camera to make CVBS mode as I ordered the 1080P version. The hole required for the new camera is bigger than the previous one, so I had make the whole bigger.

One thing I did differently from you is that I never removed the spoiler. I just thread the camera wire from outside hole through the existing hole on the inside where reverse wire come through. - the wire you are pointing at here

The new cable is very similar to the old one. On the glovebox side, its the same yellow RCA connector that goes into the video plug with a power wire forking out which goes in the same pink power wire. On the camera side, its the 4 pin small connecter

Yea, I had to replace the full cable from the glovebox to the camera.

I replaced the existing camera with the new one, ran the new cable from the glovebox to the camera, and cut the orange wire on the camera to make CVBS mode as I ordered the 1080P version. The hole required for the new camera is bigger than the previous one, so I had make the whole bigger.

One thing I did differently from you is that I never removed the spoiler. I just thread the camera wire from outside hole through the existing hole on the inside where reverse wire come through. - the wire you are pointing at here

The new cable is very similar to the old one. On the glovebox side, its the same yellow RCA connector that goes into the video plug with a power wire forking out which goes in the same pink power wire. On the camera side, its the 4 pin small connecter

I'll probably give this upgrade a go but I did find the listing in your link a little confusing, I only looked very briefly. ADHD and CVBS, is there just one version of camera and you select the mode by cutting, or not, the link wire or is there a right and a wrong one to order?

I tried to use the existing cable from the old camera but that didn't work. I had to do use the cabling from the new camera to make it work, even though both are the 4pin cable. No sure why the old cable didn't work.
So glad you posted this. I've checked the long leads for the cameras and confirmed the pinout differences. I'll evaluate both cameras properly before running the cable through the car.

If you could get a needle file or tiny knife into the 4 way plug on the long cable to remove the locating tab, I think the wiring differences I found mean it should work with the plug inserted 90 degrees out. Slicing out the whole bit of plastic containing the tab may be easier.

The biggest problem for me would be making sure I rotated it in the right direction.

I'll probably give this upgrade a go but I did find the listing in your link a little confusing, I only looked very briefly. ADHD and CVBS, is there just one version of camera and you select the mode by cutting, or not, the link wire or is there a right and a wrong one to order?
The version I ordered was "E-AHD 1080P-Black". As far as I understand, all of these cameras support both AHD and CVBS mode, just need to cut the wire to switch the mode from one to another

The Ali express camera could be the same adjustable camera as I have here. This one has 2 models with a D & E prefix with similar spec differences (720/1080) as the Ali express d & e versions.

Anyway, here are the manual pages.

Attachments

• 20240408_111554.jpg
    20240408_111554.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240408_111624.jpg
    20240408_111624.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240408_111645.jpg
    20240408_111645.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240408_111709.jpg
    20240408_111709.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 32
Why would one choose CVBS over AHD?
I assume its a limitation of the kits electronics - AHD has not worked for anyone so far.

Hmm, maybe it's just a resolution problem and the 720 AHD camera would work. Would 720 AHD be any better than 720 CVBS ?

Dunno - I just did a search of AHD vs CVBS and the results suggested that AHD should give a better picture quality. 🤷‍♂️

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom