Same plug for charging and or V2L

DeMille

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I want to make a plug which can be used for both charging and V2L But I do not have an MG4 yet.

My question is:
What happens if the V2L plug is removed from the car when V2l is active and the plug is replaced by the normal AC type 2 charger plug ? Is there something one must do inside the car for starting up charging or will it start charging by default. ?

Yes you have to manually inside the car turnoff V2L - unplug, then plug in the normal plug, as you would do normally. Again reinserting the V2L plug requires manual activation inside the car.

Also, I don't think it's physically possible to remove the V2L plug whilst it's active as it locks into place, the same as a charging plug. Therefore you have to turn off V2L on the infotainment screen, and unplug the V2L plug before you can plug in the charging cable which will also lock into place when charging is initiated.
Also, as @Ian Key says, the internal resistor in the plugs are different so the car knows whether to charge or discharge. Unless you can install two different resistors and be able to switch between the two you'll have to have separate charging and V2L leads.
You could always use a V2L adaptor instead of a complete cable if space saving is important.

Yes you have to manually inside the car turnoff V2L - unplug, then plug in the normal plug, as you would do normally. Again reinserting the V2L plug requires manual activation inside the car.
I believe the V2L and charging plug have different resistors in so the car can recognise which is which.
I am aware off that but it is not difficult to install both resitors and switch between both , as necessary. But I do have to rephrase my question if the Type2 plug can not be removed before deactivation of V2L.

I have the intension to automate switching from V2L to charging mode , depending on solar pwr availability. To make this possible the car must return to normal mode when the 450ohm resistor is removed. if the 450 resistor is removed the car is not V2l ready and should not stay in v2l mode.

I have the intension to automate switching from V2L to charging mode , depending on solar pwr availability. To make this possible the car must return to normal mode when the 450ohm resistor is removed. if the 450 resistor is removed the car is not V2l ready and should not stay in v2l mode.
V2L discharging has to be physically selected within the car

V2L discharging has to be physically selected within the car
So far no problem. it is about switching from V2L to normal charging mode when solar pwr is available. Normally V2L mode can only be selected if the plug is V2L ready ( resistor). What happens if V2l mode is activated and the resistor in the plug is bypassed?

So far no problem. it is about switching from V2L to normal charging mode when solar pwr is available. Normally V2L mode can only be selected if the plug is V2L ready ( resistor). What happens if V2l mode is activated and the resistor in the plug is bypassed?
Based on experience of interlocking inverters I'd say the system will lockout the onboard charger until you unlock the car and remove the plug as it needs CP and PP to disconnect and the solenoid to disengage else it'll be viewed by the car as a fault

Based on experience of interlocking inverters I'd say the system will lockout the onboard charger until you unlock the car and remove the plug as it needs CP and PP to disconnect and the solenoid to disengage else it'll be viewed by the car as a fault
I think so aswell, I think CHAdeMO is a superior technology (strategic), with its V2G/VGI extension already available, but CCS will win due to the current operational needs.

I think so aswell, I think CHAdeMO is a superior technology (strategic), with its V2G/VGI extension already available, but CCS will win due to the current operational needs.
It's VHS (CCS) Vs betamax (Chademo) and Blu-ray Vs HD-DVD all over again... Technologically superior doesn't always win

I do have a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.( 13KW with CHadeMo) But the Chademo plug or an socket are very expensive. V2H is available but at a very high price.( 3000-4000$) Some high end models do have 1.5Kw V2L build in. All are bi-directional for charging and discharging but the one I have does not have the software installed.

It's VHS (CCS) Vs betamax (Chademo) and Blu-ray Vs HD-DVD all over again... Technologically superior doesn't always win
I do not agree. I would say it is VHS Vs Video 2000. Video 2000 was technically way ahead and had much better picture quality but it has lost the commercial battle.

I do not agree. I would say it is VHS Vs Video 2000. Video 2000 was technically way ahead and had much better picture quality but it has lost the commercial battle.
Erm - aren't you comparing different media types? Back in the day the battle absolutely was VHS vs Betamax for magnetic tape media.

In Belgium hardware which is able to connect with the GRID ( synchronise) must have official approval .As far as I know only one bi-directional wallbox yet is aproved and that is a CHademo since more as a decade. No other bi-directional wall box AC or DC is approved to be used for V2G. Available bi-directional wallboxes are way to expensive for to be used in Island electrical home systems. Cars as VOLVO 90 are bi-directional ready ( software is NOT installed or NOT activated) but also can not be used because no approved bi-directional chargers are available. VW had announced to make all EV bi-directional end 2022. It did not happen. Why should they if nobody can use it. In most EU countries the GRID is NOT ready for bidirectional use and probably it will take at least an other decade to solve this. Meanwile we do have EV with V2L. Having solar panels one must have a very good reason for buying an EV NOT having V2L. What I am trying to do is use an EV with V2L to store and use my own solar pwr. in combination with a THOR 7Kw ( growatt) dynamic EV charger. The fact the MG 4 is able to deliver 7KW via V2L is considered to be an advantage compared to other candidates. Other EV do have a switch in the plug to activate V2L .

Erm - aren't you comparing different media types? Back in the day the battle absolutely was VHS vs Betamax for magnetic tape media.
Years before that battle we already had video 2000 from Philips which had much better picture quality as VHS or Betamax had that time. One could use it for recording and re-play. But movie distributors had other preferences.

Sorry - I'd confused Video 2000 with Laser Disk. In the UK we never really got Video 2000 in any numbers for it to even be considered a competitor to VHS or Betamax. :)

I do have a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.( 13KW with CHadeMo) But the Chademo plug or an socket are very expensive. V2H is available but at a very high price.( 3000-4000$) Some high end models do have 1.5Kw V2L build in. All are bi-directional for charging and discharging but the one I have does not have the software installed.

Video 2000 was an even bigger failure innterms if uptake than Betamax.

VHS and Betamax were already established at the time. And it was a hassle for video library shops at the time to stock two formats let alone a third latecomer

or closer to home Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC) v's Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP)
My line of thinking: First Automatic transfer from V2L mode to charging ready is made impossible as long V2L pwr is available. V2L is activated normal way. Then Pwr is removed from V2L. Folowing the V2L ready resistor is removed or bypassed. CP and PP can be disconected or connected by internal switches according the situation needed. After V2l pwr is removed then the charging ready resistor becomes active and charging pwr becomes available;. The plug stays plugged in the car. This assumes V2L can be deactivated without physical interference. But I do not know much of modern electronics; Also the software must allow it.

Years before that battle we already had video 2000 from Philips which had much better picture quality as VHS or Betamax had that time. One could use it for recording and re-play. But movie distributors had other preferences.
I think you'll find VHS 2000 was invented by Grundig.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back