Seat Comfort?

I do think that your age is a big factor here. When you’re young you can sit on anything and it doesn’t worry you that much, but as you get older the design and quality of the seats gets much more important.
Possibly yes but I'm only 53 ! :p
For work, I am office based and work 12 hour shifts so I'm used to being sat on my arse for a long time.
My office chair has actual ridges in the base material design, but even this doesn't bother me at all.
The base is also rock solid with very little padding.
I can sit comfy all day long with no issues.

I have driven to work tonight with the seat protector we use under our grandsons car seat and had it on my drivers seat.
the base is 4 gel type pads with small gaps between each pad to support his car seat.

I couldn't feel anything tonight from the seat base once this was used.
Which yes I could use it going forward, but should I really have to on a £27k car !

It kind of confirms that my seat probably does have a fault on the base.

I am toying with taking a demo car out again after mine has gone back to see how that seat feels.
If its the same then Maybe it is me.
If its comfy which most people in this thread claim theirs are.
Then it probably was a faulty seat and I could maybe look at finding another MG4 to replace mine with.
There were others issues with mine hence the rejection.
Some will be fixed like the oil leak and probable soft ware updates.
But with the bad seat and dodgy fitting door trims etc, it has had to go as I have no faith in the car now.

will see this week what's best to do.

I do like the MG4 it drives brilliant, if the issues are resolved I do think I'd get another as there's nothing else out there for the money, especially brand new.

I noticed the seam under the legs in the back seat of the SE SR while my partner was driving during our test drive a few weeks ago. Didn't notice any problems in the divers seat.

I noticed the seam under the legs in the back seat of the SE SR while my partner was driving during our test drive a few weeks ago. Didn't notice any problems in the divers seat.
That's interesting
So it's not just mine then, there could be others out there with sub standard seat build.
You definitely shouldn't be feeling any seams.
I sat in a mates 15 year old 120,000 mile Suzuki Vitara last night and its seat was far better quality and comfort than the one in my MG4.

No one has mentioned the Rear seats, so guessing they will hardly be used :).
I sat in the rear while wife did outbound test drive and found after approx 10 mins the section closest to the backrest was uncomfortably hard the seat is in 3 sections horizontally, had to shift forward to the central section. Front drivers seat gave good side support, and lumbar was fine.

No one has mentioned the Rear seats, so guessing they will hardly be used :).
I sat in the rear while wife did outbound test drive and found after approx 10 mins the section closest to the backrest was uncomfortably hard the seat is in 3 sections horizontally, had to shift forward to the central section. Front drivers seat gave good side support, and lumbar was fine.
I sat in the drivers and passengers on my test drive and although I found the seats on the soft side, my own car is a VW, they were comfortable. Long term robustness is a different question altogether. I've seen a few pictures of non trophy cars where the seats look a bit worn and creased already.
The back seat was different I really didn't find it that comfortable and I had to move around a bit until I got into a comfy position.

My seats are really comfortable (coming from a Seat Aron FR Sport). I do a 50 mile round trip commute each day , but it's mostly in traffic so I can be in the car for over an hour each way.
No aches or pains at all.
However I've noticed a "bulge" on the side bolster of the passenger side seat back . It feels like a bit of hard foam under the fabric . Almost like a ganglion. I'm tempted to hit it with a bible but I think I'll run it in to my dealer for them to have a look. Anyone else had this?

I had a feel of the side bolsters in a showroom car yesterday while i was waiting to check my new one over prior to collecting tomorrow.
You could definitely feel the internal metal frame on the side bolsters on that one in the driver's seat
Not enough padding or badly placed.
Thankfully my new one feels ok all round compared to my rejected one and the showroom car.
Definitely proof that there are bad models out there though.
My seat base was bad and now the side bolster in that one too.
MG are definitely rushing these cars out and cutting costs and corners to some extent.

I had a feel of the side bolsters in a showroom car yesterday while i was waiting to check my new one over prior to collecting tomorrow.
You could definitely feel the internal metal frame on the side bolsters on that one in the driver's seat
Thankfully my new one feels ok all round compared to my rejected one and the showroom car.
MG are definitely rushing these cars out and cutting costs and corners to some extent.
It's not bad and definitely not the frame .Just "there"

Well a new or replacement car I didn’t know you had that well done you
Les

Well a new or replacement car I didn’t know you had that well done you
Les
Got a refund on mine and managed to find another in the same spec and colour, it will even have the same reg too as both will have been registered with my plate at first registration.
So it will be like it's never really left
Apart from no issues hopefully.

Insurance was a fun one, realistically it's the same car, same reg, same colour etc but admiral still wanted to try charge me for informing them.
Thankfully they saw sense and waved it.

Last edited:
During my brief spell in the MG4 Trophy I found the drivers seat ok. I was surprised at no lumbar support though and I would find this an issue on a long journey.
We have a trophy, 1 week in, and my wife struggles to find the seat position comfortable as there is no lumbar support so much so she dreads driving it. Wasn't an issue on the short test drive

We have a trophy, 1 week in, and my wife struggles to find the seat position comfortable as there is no lumbar support so much so she dreads driving it. Wasn't an issue on the short test drive
I sympathise. All car seats should have lumbar support.

I have an SE SR and haven't had an issue with the seat. I came from a VW Golf GTi that was supposed to have a superior sort of sporty seat, but I'm honestly not noticing any difference. I drove to Yorkshire and back last week, and did a bit of driving while I was there, and didn't have any complaints. Two hours on the motorway on the way down before I stopped to charge, I was fine. On the way back it was more like two and a half hours and I was still comfortable.

I had a horrific day last July when I began a journey in the GTi with backache, and it plagued me all the way to Aviemore. Absolute agony, didn't ease at all on the journey. Today I had the same thing, but it eased off during the journey - as, to be fair, it often did in the GTi.

I am finding on any long drive an hour or more, that i get a sharp pain back of leg around the knee pretty bad streched musle v painful. I tried moving the seat closer and further away + up and down doesnt seem to make any difference. any ideas? i have been driving 25 years had a leaf before, no problems previously. SE

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back