Seat Comfort?

For me, the seats are one of the big shortfalls of the MG4. Too hard, and not good in terms of lateral support at all. But I accept it's an individual perspective. The lack of a lumbar support adds to be this. Also the so called 6way control in my Trophy is just a joke, as you cannot adjust the seat in itself. Hope this makes sense.

Been lurking on this thread a while, but just to add to the discussion, in case someone finds it handy.
I'm 185cm tall (on a good day, 6'2" on a bad day :) ) so legroom is important. I am used to back pains after several hours' driving in various cars other than wonderful old Ruaridh Mor, the Range Rover we had 25 years ago, which was like sitting in armchairs.
But I think I've recently unintuitively resolved the problem. The main issue was a pain across the right shoulder, eventually spreading. But I have found that if I keep my left foot up on the footrest in the top left corner of the footwell, I get no back pain at all after long trips. It's got to the point now when I realise within 20 minutes or so if I forget to plant my foot there, as the discomfort returns. In general we find Goth Leo, our MG4, pretty comfortable, and now the long drives for which we need him most are no longer trying.
Just mentioning in case someone else needs to try it.

That might be why I find no discomfort issues with my SE ... my left foot always goes to the foot rest. (Except when I occasionally tuck it behind my right leg just to give my left leg a change of position on long drives; my right leg gets position changes when I'm using ACC). :)

I guess everybody is different. I've seen a lot of different issues complained of with different car seats, and never had a problem. The problem I did have on long drives was cramp in the muscle groups in front of my right shin, due to constant accelerator-brake operation. To the point where I sometimes had to drive with my left foot for a while.

Let's hear it for ACC.

My Trophy is comfortable enough, but I have noticed that if you sit right back in the seat and recline the back past a certain point then the bottom sticks out a bit, like a lumbar support, which is uncomfortable for my old back. Fortunately I don't have the back reclined past that point so it's ok.

I guess everybody is different. I've seen a lot of different issues complained of with different car seats, and never had a problem. The problem I did have on long drives was cramp in the muscle groups in front of my right shin, due to constant accelerator-brake operation. To the point where I sometimes had to drive with my left foot for a while.

Let's hear it for ACC.
ACC , Anterior Compound Cramp? not one MG should be advertising! :D

I like the left foot rest although the angle isn't right for me, so if it were adjustable that would be perfect.

I would also like a right foot rest when on ACC but I understand why they don't want to provide these.

I guess everybody is different. I've seen a lot of different issues complained of with different car seats
Too true, long long ago when I was a mere 16 I jumped off a very high roof and broke my left leg and also damaged my spine, when I learnt to drive (Austin Allegro for 3 months) I got my first MG, a midget in Damask Red but the seats were not very good and my spine took a hammering giving much grief. Over the years I have always had to get a car that was quite high in seating position to minimise the spinal pain, so ended up with Vauxhall Zafria, VW Touran, Nissan Note and for the last 10 years a Skoda Yeti. If I ever got in a small car like Corsa, Civic etc I would be in high pain and sucking on my Morphine
So when looking to replace the Yeti I sat in several cars trying out the seating positions and being a bit more environmental we decided to go electric as we have a a 6.7Kw roof solar array so cheap driving costs.
The MG4 was the only car that I did not suffer pain in when test driving so this was a big winner for me and after nearly 6 weeks the car is still pain free to drive, though getting out of it is a we bit difficult but hey I got an MG4!!!
The seats feel great for support for MY spine, also being electric there being no clutch making life easier on my permanent sciatica.

That might be why I find no discomfort issues with my SE ... my left foot always goes to the foot rest. (Except when I occasionally tuck it behind my right leg just to give my left leg a change of position on long drives; my right leg gets position changes when I'm using ACC). :)
Agree with you. I find the seat comfort is pretty good have not had any back or bum problems.

I would also like a right foot rest when on ACC but I understand why they don't want to provide these.
It would be good for me. I could be downright dangerous with ACC. Having long legs, chronic knee ache and size 13s my leg goes all over the foot well when not in use, and may well end up caught under the seat or accelerator. An extra second or two to reach the brake could make all the difference. 😧

Luckily the manual speed limiter works well enough for me on motorways, and would be perfect if it had 1mph increments. I may also try the ACC again soon now I'm fully comfortable driving it. 🤔

I sometimes think the seat isn't as well-upholstered as the seat in my Golf, but it's not something that concerns me. It's perfectly comfortable.

I suffer from back and neck problems related to arthritis so VERY picky about seat comfort. I had a Mazda 3 a few years back that was horrific after 10 miles. I have had lots of Volvos as they have superb seats. I did 210 miles in my ER on Saturday and was still very comfortable by the end. No complaints from my two passengers either. Got another 200 mile trip tomorrow but don’t expect it to be any less comfortable. I had to mess around with the seat height a bit as I find it helps to rest my elbows on the side if I can. If I can’t find a suitable spot then I often struggle to get comfy but no problem in the MG4

My wife's got the 4 Trophy and I've got the 5 Trophy. We've not yet done any long journeys in the 4 but so far I've found the seats a massive improvement over the 5 which I'm currently in the process of replacing.

My experience with the seats is mixed. Although back support feels fine the geometry and head rest is not optimal. It causes some stress in the neck. Which isn't very weird because I had similar experience in my previous car.
What is less pleasant is the width of the chair. Putting my foot on the footrest causes me to sit almost on the edges of the seat. They could be 2 cm's wider per side.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back