Self charging MGHS

Gareth52

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hello. New to all this. I have just test driven an MGHS. We are rural so not near a charging point. Does any one have experience of how long you have to drive to charge the battery so that you can use the car just on its electric motor. Apologies for the noob question .

The HS has some self charging up to 80% but you well need to do a 100 miles and cost a lot in petrol, you do not need to go to a charging point to charge the car.
You charge the car at home with the supplied granny charger, you will need a outside socket near the car to plug it in. I use my car every day in the week to travel to and from work and in the summertime it was in the electric mode. I would put it on charge and would have 22 miles and about 61% in the battery and this take around 2.5 hours to charge back to full and cost about £1 on my electricity rate. Charging at a charge point would cost 49p up plus a connection charge. Now at this time of year you us a small amount of petrol as you need to use the heat to clear windows EG.

Yes it has a 13amp plug on it hear is a photo of my set up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    681.1 KB · Views: 475
Also recommend getting this holder off ebay for it.

Attachments

• 0FA7DE27-7A51-4379-AE87-4D9C9C723A98.png
    0FA7DE27-7A51-4379-AE87-4D9C9C723A98.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 534
MG do not do a 'self-charging HEV' as in Kia Niro, Toyota Yaris, CHR or RAV4 all of which charge as you drive but are support electric drives only supporting the petrol engine. I have run two KIA Noro Self-charging hybrids over the last five years and, whilst they were very satisfactory when I knew of no better (and didn't yet trust all-electric EVs completely) I was getting around 55mpg on average over a tankful or up to 63.5 mpg on a return run (non motorway) and usually 435 miles or so on a tankful.

As MG didn't do a self-charging HEV I decided to go with the HS PHEV which gives me 32 miles on battery per trip which covers our daily needs as retired couple. However, when we exceed that distance the petrol engine cuts in seamlessly and then it will re-charge the battery as it goes, but slowly. Even then I am getting 635 miles on the last tankful with an everage of 117 mpg. over that distance !

I simply plug the 'granny charger' (how I hate that expression being a Grandad of four myself) into the 13amp socket in the garage and run an extension lead along the driveway to the car. I have a timer plugged into the socket which connects the car from 8pm to 8am (or however shorter time the car needs to recharge to 100%). I have no idea how long it takes to recharge from 0% to 100% as I am usually asleep when it does so !

I am extremely delighted with the HS Phev for my purposes. I would nit now go back to a self-charging hybrid. I can highly recommend it !

MG do not do a 'self-charging HEV' as in Kia Niro, Toyota Yaris, CHR or RAV4 all of which charge as you drive but are support electric drives only supporting the petrol engine. I have run two KIA Noro Self-charging hybrids over the last five years and, whilst they were very satisfactory when I knew of no better (and didn't yet trust all-electric EVs completely) I was getting around 55mpg on average over a tankful or up to 63.5 mpg on a return run (non motorway) and usually 435 miles or so on a tankful.

As MG didn't do a self-charging HEV I decided to go with the HS PHEV which gives me 32 miles on battery per trip which covers our daily needs as retired couple. However, when we exceed that distance the petrol engine cuts in seamlessly and then it will re-charge the battery as it goes, but slowly. Even then I am getting 635 miles on the last tankful with an everage of 117 mpg. over that distance !

I simply plug the 'granny charger' (how I hate that expression being a Grandad of four myself) into the 13amp socket in the garage and run an extension lead along the driveway to the car. I have a timer plugged into the socket which connects the car from 8pm to 8am (or however shorter time the car needs to recharge to 100%). I have no idea how long it takes to recharge from 0% to 100% as I am usually asleep when it does so !

I am extremely delighted with the HS Phev for my purposes. I would nit now go back to a self-charging hybrid. I can highly recommend it !
Granny charges 8km per hour out of maximum 52km. So 6hrs and 30 min. Less then the average sleeper. This grandpa charges less during the night and that’s why we sleep separate!

Last edited:
There are a few differant threads and posts on here. with regards to running the HS just in EV mode a few little problems/quirks, gearbox lag and coming out of EV mode when driving conditions are not met, lack of preheat so the ICE has to be used to heat the cabin.
Have a read this may help you, but don't be put off, I think the HS PHEV is a really good car.

There are a few differant threads and posts on here. with regards to running the HS just in EV mode a few little problems/quirks, gearbox lag and coming out of EV mode when driving conditions are not met, lack of preheat so the ICE has to be used to heat the cabin.
Have a read this may help you, but don't be put off, I think the HS PHEV is a really good car.
I agree with you its a very good car, I was only saying to my salesman that I would only think about changing this for the same car but in full EV, not the new ZS would make me change.

PHEV vs Hybrids are different beasts . The goal of a hybrid is to reduce ICE petrol consumption .
The goal of a PHEV is to offer EV running for trips under 63km and still allow for longer trips powered by petrol on the odd occasion that you do .
For me in Australia , our main daily run is 15-20 km but we do 900km trips 4 times per year so this suits us perfectly- best of both worlds .

Charging the HV battery from the ICE is a very expensive option and pretty much defeats the object really.
It absolutely hammers the MPG returns.
PHEV's are not effective for people who are high mileage user cases on a regular basis.
More effective and economical for people who charge on a very regular basis and make a lot of small local trips, with the odd longer trip of course.
I owned a PHEV for over four years and I found it really economical to run, when compared to a normal ICE car of course.
This because it suited our type of journey patterns.
But I then went full BEV and the running costs are on a completely different scale all together.
It beat the PHEV hands down.
Something just to consider here, with a PHEV you are serving two masters when it comes to servicing costs here.
You are paying to maintain the requirements of both a ICE and also the EV side of things as well !.
Therefore servicing costs tend to increase to levels above a standard ICE as the PHEV ages.
A thing that warrants some thought and consideration here.
Some manufactures like the VAG group, only offer a three year warranty on their new vehicles.
Therefore customers ( like myself included at the time ) would pay to extend the warranty, in order to protect themselves from any expensive repairs on the hybrid system alone.
Extending the warranty, would cost around £200 / year.
Not applicable to the MG range, but is another cost that some PHEV owners just have to face.

Charging the HV battery from the ICE is a very expensive option and pretty much defeats the object really.
It absolutely hammers the MPG returns.
PHEV's are not effective for people who are high mileage user cases on a regular basis.
More effective and economical for people who charge on a very regular basis and make a lot of small local trips, with the odd longer trip of course.
I owned a PHEV for over four years and I found it really economical to run, when compared to a normal ICE car of course.
This because it suited our type of journey patterns.
But I then went full BEV and the running costs are on a completely different scale all together.
It beat the PHEV hands down.
Something just to consider here, with a PHEV you are serving two masters when it comes to servicing costs here.
You are paying to maintain the requirements of both a ICE and also the EV side of things as well !.
Therefore servicing costs tend to increase to levels above a standard ICE as the PHEV ages.
A thing that warrants some thought and consideration here.
Some manufactures like the VAG group, only offer a three year warranty on their new vehicles.
Therefore customers ( like myself included at the time ) would pay to extend the warranty, in order to protect themselves from any expensive repairs on the hybrid system alone.
Extending the warranty, would cost around £200 / year.
Not applicable to the MG range, but is another cost that some PHEV owners just have to face.
Fully agree with your thoughts! Except that the cost of electricity here is cheap enough that even if we plugged in every day, there is still a significant cost savings compared to Petrol cost per km.

One just has to consider your trip pattern and range requirements. My last road trip was from Adelaide to Coober Pedy. One stretch was 590km of roads with no towns in between. It would have been impossible to make that leg with a pure BEV !

Thankfully MG here offers a 7 year warranty , and fixed price servicing.

Fully agree with your thoughts! Except that the cost of electricity here is cheap enough that even if we plugged in every day, there is still a significant cost savings compared to Petrol cost per km.

One just has to consider your trip pattern and range requirements. My last road trip was from Adelaide to Coober Pedy. One stretch was 590km of roads with no towns in between. It would have been impossible to make that leg with a pure BEV !

Thankfully MG here offers a 7 year warranty , and fixed price servicing.
For the odd longer trips, the PHEV works out just great because it removes the need to charge when the infrastructure is really poor.
But PHEV's are not proven to be economical on longer, repeated frequent trips.
You get about 50 miles of EV range, then after that, you are hauling around all that extra weight of a exhausted battery pack, which eat's into the MPG figures.
There will always be a place ( for now anyway ) for PHEV's in certain usage cases, or until EV's have enough range or the charging infrastructure improves massively.
But, remember that NOT all serviceable items are covered by the cost of a service plan !.
E.G :- With the VAG group, brake fluid changes and A/C service costs are NOT included in the price of a standard service plan !.
Brake friction pad wear, transmission fluid replacement and a cam belt replacements are ALL not included and are chargeable as extras to the customer.
This is just to name a few.
Ask me how I know this !.
I would imagine that MG is NO exception to this rule.
You will see your service costs rise almost every year that you submit the cars.
These costs have to be absorbed by the customer. in order to retain the warranty validated.

I agree with the added costs of an ICE but with a EV, there is the battery replacement cost after about 8 years. The larger the battery, the more expensive.

I am betting on the fact that in about 8 years, when I do need to replace my battery, that the price of batteries will have dropped to cheaper level.

I haven’t done very many miles yet with my PHEV, and my first drive was at 300+ mile run just set to default which is used all the electric charge at about the 300 mile mark. I seem to recall it returned approximately 45 miles to the gallon which I thought didn’t reflect the sort of figures people keep quoting. What is the result of just leaving it on the default setting and charging it up, and driving it normally?

I agree with the added costs of an ICE but with a EV, there is the battery replacement cost after about 8 years. The larger the battery, the more expensive.

I am betting on the fact that in about 8 years, when I do need to replace my battery, that the price of batteries will have dropped to cheaper level.
You probably will not need to replace the battery at 8 year if you look after it.

I just would like to know what to expect if driven normally with the electric charged ,and battery management is set to default settings

Some people talk 50’s. Some talk 80’s and 90’s. I seem to be talking 45. What does an HS do without the Hybrid. I seem to remember my GS’s both did about 35 and they were manuals.
Can somebody give me a steer.
Thanks.

I haven’t done very many miles yet with my PHEV, and my first drive was at 300+ mile run just set to default which is used all the electric charge at about the 300 mile mark. I seem to recall it returned approximately 45 miles to the gallon which I thought didn’t reflect the sort of figures people keep quoting. What is the result of just leaving it on the default setting and charging it up, and driving it normally?
I find it odd that you used all the battery? I did a 300 mile trip this week and leaving the mode in auto towards the end of trip I still had around 60% of my battery left. Or it would have been but I use EV mode for the last 10 miles or so to maximise EV use. I returned around 40mpg which is not so bad for a big suv travelling at 70mph plus to get home. This is the longest trip I do my normal commute is 42 miles round trip which returns about 90mpg. Overall I am bettering my diesel car by at least 10mpg with cheaper fuel to boot. Very happy 😊

I find it odd that you used all the battery? I did a 300 mile trip this week and leaving the mode in auto towards the end of trip I still had around 60% of my battery left. Or it would have been but I use EV mode for the last 10 miles or so to maximise EV use. I returned around 40mpg which is not so bad for a big suv travelling at 70mph plus to get home. This is the longest trip I do my normal commute is 42 miles round trip which returns about 90mpg. Overall I am bettering my diesel car by at least 10mpg with cheaper fuel to boot. Very happy 😊
I probably used more of the battery as it was including handover, quite a bit of time setting everything up, new car and all that, followed by 70mph drive down motorways including several stops for toilet/ adjustment to things etc. overnight stop and home next day with no ev only driving and management on default. I achieved just under 45 . So that’s ok then? How do you get 90 on a 21 mile trip. Do you just drive it ev only for most of it? A similar trip in full auto has me showing about 47. This is why I ask. So am I I right in thinking most people use ev only to get those really high figures. I was under the mistaken belief that letting the car do it in auto was going to produce best results

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom