Shocking (cost of electricity)

Octopus offered me two different options. Octopus Go: low rate between 22:30 and 02:30.
Octopus Go Faster: low rate (marginally higher than Octopus Go) between 21:30 and 02:30.

I selected Octopus Go Faster as the start time is earlier which is useful for switching the washing, dryer, dishwasher and/or car on and also makes sure the car is fully charged if I have driven more that day.

and 02:30.
Geez, that seems mean. Or maybe there are a lot of early risers starting to use electricity at 3am :unsure:

I selected Octopus Go Faster
It also gives you 25% more time to use your cheaper power. Five whole hours instead of four. Definitely more EV friendly, unless you rarely drive far or don't mind sometimes splitting up your charging over successive nights. I'd probably be miserly enough to try the Octopus Go tariff.

Yes, I am away with the fairies at 02:30 hrs but the earlier start of 21:00 hrs works well as does the extra hour of cheap charge time. It is quite rare that I need more than 5 hours = 35 kWh = 30% (SR) approx. per day as I only do max. 50 miles per day and that's recharged in a single overnight session.

My Go ends Dec 17 and I have been enjoying 24.5 p and 7.5 p although a year ago when I was offered these rates I thought they were expensive. At the weekend I was offered the new Go at 44.35 p and 12 p for 4 hours (00:30 - 04:30) or Octopus Intelligent at 44.35 p and 10 p for 6 hours (23:30 - 05:30). However there is a difference since the Government protected / caped rates there are no longer "Fixed" as my current Go tariff but the new offers are all "Variable" although Octopus do say that they will try to maintain these rates. Clearly Intelligent looks like a no-brainer, but I'm not sure if the PodPoint Home Charger or MG car meet the requirements

To use with mg you need something like ohme home pro
Remember to check standing charge as well
Screenshot_20221206-230020.png

It might be worth considering solar panels &/or a battery system. In the UK you will be allowed 4 kWp solar which if linked to a battery can be saved for use charging the car or for general use.
If you have the battery system alone, it can be used in conjunction with an overnight cheap rate electricity deal, either linked to your charging point or used to reduce the amount of higher priced daytime power you use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been able to find any suppliers offering any tariffs of any kind to new customers? All the comparison websites have shut down, and everyone is only offering monthly contracts at the energy cap prices. Our 5y deal ran out 30th October and I've been looking for anything similar for 3 months. What can you recommend?
I had that problem and when I phoned them they took me as a new customer no problem.

Octopus offered me two different options. Octopus Go: low rate between 22:30 and 02:30.
Octopus Go Faster: low rate (marginally higher than Octopus Go) between 21:30 and 02:30.

I selected Octopus Go Faster as the start time is earlier which is useful for switching the washing, dryer, dishwasher and/or car on and also makes sure the car is fully charged if I have driven more that day.
Yep I’m on Go faster again after my last Go Faster deal ended - for exactly the same reason. Though I miss the earlier - 20.30 - start time, as I like to monitor my white goods when they’re attempting to set fire to the house!! 😃

Two years ago the cost to charge our MGZSEV via our then energy supplier AVRO equated to 25% of the cost of petrol per gallon, based on 50 miles to the gallon as our other car, an ICE manages.
When AVRO went bust Ofgen switched us to Octopus energy and we were put on a tariff called: Flexible Avro October 2021 v1.
Yesterday at Immingham (DN401NW) petrol was £151.9 a litre.
Our MG even in the cold can do 3.4 miles to the kWh but today our electricity unit cost is "48.45p/kWh" .
Does anyone want to buy a fully serviced low mileage 2020 Exclusive?
Is that your cost 24/7? My EDF std rate tariff right now Sat 10th 12:30 midday is 11.79p/kWh (at least according to our reader). This seems to vary from 45p down to 11ish so I charge at night usually.

octopus go at the moment I think is about 41p during the day and 12p for 4-5 hours overnight... quite handy if you can switch things like the dishwaher, tumble dryer and waching machine to being used after midnight to take advantage of the cheap rate along with the car. but yeah, standard variable rate as per the current price cap is 33.7p. Note: I was replying to the OP, not directed at anyone in the comments specifically :)
Using a Ecoflow delta pro 3600Wh capacity, you can charge this up during the night and use during the day for your washing, etc.

Two years ago the cost to charge our MGZSEV via our then energy supplier AVRO equated to 25% of the cost of petrol per gallon, based on 50 miles to the gallon as our other car, an ICE manages.
When AVRO went bust Ofgen switched us to Octopus energy and we were put on a tariff called: Flexible Avro October 2021 v1.
Yesterday at Immingham (DN401NW) petrol was £151.9 a litre.
Our MG even in the cold can do 3.4 miles to the kWh but today our electricity unit cost is "48.45p/kWh" .
Does anyone want to buy a fully serviced low mileage 2020 Exclusive?
I agree and I want to sell my brand new MG4 Trophy for the same reason. 75p per kWh in Birmingham from Instavolt - after spending 20 minutes trying to get charger and MG to connect. I've got £60k worth of MG cars in my drive. You can have them for £55k. I've had enough of these beautiful cars with their awful and buggy software.

I have an MG ZS EV too and with an Ohme charger I am on Intelligent Octopus. 7.5P for 6 hours each night and 39p day rate. I also have a heat pump which works hard at night. Overall my tariff works out at 22p on average.

And yes these tariffs won't last much longer. Gas prices are likely to fall. We don't know how much the power companies have paid for gas and for how far into the future they are hedged but with European gas stocks high, Germany now with a working FLNG terminal to start operating at the end of the year and another 5 in the pipeline for next winter there is no reason for prices to remain high, There is no shortage of gas in the world it is just in the wrong places. I see today that Turkey is negotiating to bring gas to Europe from Uzbekistan with a new pipeline to sideline Russia completely. The UK has been importing gas and sending it to Europe in both the form of gas and gas fired electricity all summer, hence the gas storage filled in October. France's nuclear fleet is coming back on stream with near 40 GW out of ~ 60GW now on line. LNG tankers are arriving both at the Isle of Grain and Milford Haven to supply us and Europe via the gas pipe lines to Belgium and The Netherlands with some 10 due before Xmas including 2 giant Qmaxx tankers from Qatar. These giant tankers are said to hold enough gas to heat London for a week of low temperatures.

The UK has had good wind resources all autumn, only now do we see the anticyclones and cold weather that cause wind turbines to stall at the wrong time. Provided we don't have another 1964 when we had 10 weeks or more of this we won't have a problem provided the grid can trim peak consumption at 'tea time'. By the time spring comes we will have another giant wind farm up and running (SeaGreen 1.1GW) and by next winter Dogger A, Neart Na Goithe and Viking on Shetland, between them another 2 GW. And close on their heals are Dogger B, Inchcape, Moray West and the Norfolk pair another 5 GW. Thos of us that watch the grid have noted that some CCGT has been running merely to provide the kinetic energy to stop the frequency to flutter, some wind has been curtailed because it couldn't be used.

I hope you mean £1-59.9pence a litre. That would still be 25 pence a mile cheaper for the EV. I would look for a cheaper tariff.:)
Octopus energy have a tariff called octopus go, which charges about 7pence per kWh if you have a ev between 0:30 - 4:30 am.

Not sure I would want to be charging and discharging the EV that often
If you have Standard Range MG4 or ZS SR both have 51 kWh LFP which are good for about 3,000+ full Charge Discharge cycles and still maintains 80% capacity. If you charge and discharge 25 kWh per day that is 6,000 days and that is 16 years and 5 months. There is also a stake of evidence from Nissan that says that even old school Li-Ion with NCM Caqthode like the Long Range MGs have is actually life extended when lightly cycled like this which is better for the cells than sitting stationary 95%-98% of the time at some abortuary SOC before being rapidly discharged when the car is driven the rapid bursts of rapid charging under regenerative braking.

Get a ev tariff? It's madness to run a ev with out ev tariff if your charging from home I know ev tariffs are not as good as they use to be I know OVO 5p charge 24/7 is going up in January to 10p still good in today's climate and octopus are offering very competitive off-peak tariffs for like 4 hours and some longer ones can't you get that as your with octopus?
I have looked at the various EV tariffs and even if I charged every night for the full off peak time (which I wouldn't need to) It still works out a lot more expensive on the EV than my normal rate of just under 35p a kWh. I could charge for 10 hours a day on my current rate and it would still be less than the Octopus rate. Virtually all the electricity that we use is used during the day

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom