Should I power off

Thanks. I tried that this morning and it obviously does. It's just that the dealer told me to power the car down or it might not shut off, which seems an awful fiddle.
My dealer said only to use this if you want to sit in the car whilst its charging, said it wont charge otherwise. I dont know if thats true, if I ever have to use a rapid charger on a cold/wet day I'll find out :giggle:

It seems to be absolutely fine, I have no idea why he told me that. I had a hair appointment, and when I left the car by the salon I simply pressed P, got out, shut the door, pressed the door button, and it all went satisfyingly quiet more or less immediately.

My dealer said only to use this if you want to sit in the car whilst its charging, said it wont charge otherwise. I dont know if thats true, if I ever have to use a rapid charger on a cold/wet day I'll find out :giggle:

I wouldn't totally exclude the possiblilty that my dealer was saying that too, there was a lot to take in!

Last edited:
It isn't true, I charge sitting in the car without switching the car off.

I assume this won’t work if key is accidentally left in car! Locking the car with the button I mean.

Last edited:
I assume this won’t work if key is accidentally left in car! Locking the car with the button I mean.
It shouldn't, the cars key sensor, that allows you to start the car when the key is within the confines of the interior, will detect the key is still inside and alert you with flashing lights and a horn, same as If your door/boot isn't shut properly when you lock it.

What if I'm unloading shopping from the car? I don't want the lights/aircon/radio running at this point - is it a case of having to tell it to turn off on the infotainment? Bit of a faff!

Honestly, the easiest thing is to turn off the radio with the steering wheel joystick button, turn off the aircon with the button under the infotainment screen, and ignore the damn lights.

This is so true. People have camped all night in these cars, using the heating and the infotainment screen and the sound system, and sometimes even V2L to cook their food, and only seen a 20% drop in charge.

This is so true. People have camped all night in these cars, using the heating and the infotainment screen and the sound system, and sometimes even V2L to cook their food, and only seen a 20% drop in charge.
Have you got any links?

Has anyone made a video of camping in one of these cars?

What if I'm unloading shopping from the car? I don't want the lights/aircon/radio running at this point - is it a case of having to tell it to turn off on the infotainment? Bit of a faff!

Not quite the same but I play golf and so often loading/unloading stuff from the boot Recently I've started locking it between opening the boot, if that makes sense...

So when I leave to go to golf I open the boot without unlocking the car to put my clubs in, then close the boot walk around to the drivers door and unlock it with the door button. Then reverse when I get there, I get out of the car and lock it with the door button before going to the boot and opening it to get the clubs out.

You can open the boot with the car 'locked' (as long as the key is in your pocket etc) and I don't think it turns on all the infotainment/lights stuff.

The fastest way: Open the trunk and lock/turn off the car (the car honks). You close the trunk when you're ready and it's locked.

A little slower: Turn off the car in the infotainment, turn off the the infotainment by pressing home button for 2/3 seconds, do your shopping unloading, close and lock the car.

Last edited:
Same speed as fastest, but without the honk - climb out of the car, shut the door and press the button (key fob or car door) to lock it. Walk around to the boot and open it (as long as the key fob is on your person). Do what you need to do then close the boot - car is locked.

i.e. what @NoSkill said :)

My shutdown procedure, key always in pocket:

• Press the P Button,
• Pause music/radio
• Release seatbelt
• Get out of the Car, and lock with the door button (or key fob)

When the driver door opens the car is no longer in READY mode.

If you want to sit in the car with everything off:
Settings (car image, bottom right) > Safety > Power off (still pause music/radio first) the screens will go blank after a few minutes
(unless you get off/on the driver's seat, which will make the car think you're ready to start)
I use the same procedure

Not true. Always rapid charges fine when switched on for me and that way you have the radio, AC, charging screen etc.

Not quite the same but I play golf and so often loading/unloading stuff from the boot Recently I've started locking it between opening the boot, if that makes sense...

So when I leave to go to golf I open the boot without unlocking the car to put my clubs in, then close the boot walk around to the drivers door and unlock it with the door button. Then reverse when I get there, I get out of the car and lock it with the door button before going to the boot and opening it to get the clubs out.

You can open the boot with the car 'locked' (as long as the key is in your pocket etc) and I don't think it turns on all the infotainment/lights stuff.
That's exactly what I also do at the golf club, you've just to remember to take keys out of golf bag before closing boot 😱

Have you got any links?

Has anyone made a video of camping in one of these cars?

When I said "these cars" I meant EVs in general, but Bjorn Nyland did camp out in a Trophy when he did his arctic circle drive last month. He didn't go into any particular detail about it, but he has a whole video where he camped out in a Tesla all night at something like -26C. I believe the Tesla will switch off its DRLs in camp mode and there's no way to switch off the MG4's DRLs if you want to keep the car awake to use the heating and entertainment systems, but other than that I shouldn't imagine there's a lot of difference.

That's exactly what I also do at the golf club, you've just to remember to take keys out of golf bag before closing boot 😱

I have one of those overly-paranoid 'RFID pouches' so need to get the key out the bag, and out of the pouch, before I can open the boot, sorted :D

Not true. Always rapid charges fine when switched on for me and that way you have the radio, AC, charging screen etc.
Yes I doubted it at the time. I first used a rapid charge a few weeks ago and sat in the car with my frozen cola from the garage :) was really impressed with how quick it charged.
20230529_213328~2.jpg

But it shows how little some MG staff are trained for questions like charging, which is really important as it can be confusing.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back