• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Should we be worried? 🤔

I haven't posted in weeks but this is a pertinent thread for me. Ordered my MG4 in October and initially I found the whinging in this forum really odd, especially certain people who are here every single day saying the same things over and over.

However, as time has gone by, the more I've read here and the more MG have messed me about with delaying my delivery date several times (despite having the exact spec of car for sale on different forecourts around the country) the more I've started looking at other options. The large Tesla price cuts in January were a big deal IMO and this last week they've taken another £3k off a lot of cars in their inventory so today I cancelled my MG4 order and I've bought a Model Y which is available for collection immediately. God knows when my MG4 would have turned up.

The MG4 and the MY aren't comparable cars at all so no point in trying to explain it in detail but if I had to pick one thing that made me cancel the MG4, it's not any specific technical fault with the car, it's the multitude of threads on here and in facebook explaining about how some dealers have behaved when problems needed to be fixed. So, in hindsight, I'm actually grateful for all of the whinging after all :)

Oh, and before anyone says that Tesla are just as bad. Maybe they are but I've previously owned a Tesla so it's a known quantity to me and a lower risk in my eyes. They were actually very fast to fix the minor niggles that I had with my M3. Better the devil you know and all that...

Anyway, good luck to all of those with their MG4's. I'll keep an eye on how things go and I hope things pick up as more and more cars are delivered. There's going to be thousands of them on our roads soon enough so the dealers are going to up their game I'm sure.
Good luck with the Y.

Hey everyone! Top of the bloody morning to you just wanted to give a review of my MG4 SE LR Holborn blue that I picked up yesterday around 4pm from Kempston glyn hopkin

all pleasantly perfect with the car to be honest had a good look underneath no undertray bulge at all which is excellent no scratches on the interior there was one but they sprayed it and buffed it and it came out I stress tested the seat belts and the back two seatbelts didn’t work properly so the mechanic man came over and when he was finished they worked the car binded straight away no issues there I’ve scheduled the charge for 23:30-5:30 and I checked it on the app last night and it started charging at the scheduled time and to the desired battery capacity I had put on it

the ride was superb has some real power under the hood didn’t look like any oil leaks but will keep my eye out had a bit the car in some weird creep mode at one point and only a slight pull on the lane keeping thing unfortunately I only had like an hour with it as I had a concert in London and won’t be back till Sunday night

I didn’t have a physical checklist but wanted to check:

1. Oil leaks

2. Undertray bulge

3. Exterior/interior scratches (especially on the black plastic within the car and the black panels on the doors of the car

4. Interior seat belts

5. Binding

6. Hazard lights

7. Stress test seatbelts

8. I checked whistling noise out the window at around 80mph and no excess noise it’s actually 🤫

9. Bluetooth connectivity

10. The charging cable (they actually just put the case in the car and no lead and I opened it and said there’s no lead in here) he gave me one lol 😂

The indicators are loud as I’ve heard in the chat but I really don’t care about that and of course I wanted to check that it reaches its 100mph speed limit and it sure does very fast! To be honest I genuinely think it could keep up with most cars

I will continue to review as I believe it really helps everyone to hear the good and bad

Hey everyone! Top of the bloody morning to you just wanted to give a review of my MG4 SE LR Holborn blue that I picked up yesterday around 4pm from Kempston glyn hopkin

all pleasantly perfect with the car to be honest had a good look underneath no undertray bulge at all which is excellent no scratches on the interior there was one but they sprayed it and buffed it and it came out I stress tested the seat belts and the back two seatbelts didn’t work properly so the mechanic man came over and when he was finished they worked the car binded straight away no issues there I’ve scheduled the charge for 23:30-5:30 and I checked it on the app last night and it started charging at the scheduled time and to the desired battery capacity I had put on it

the ride was superb has some real power under the hood didn’t look like any oil leaks but will keep my eye out had a bit the car in some weird creep mode at one point and only a slight pull on the lane keeping thing unfortunately I only had like an hour with it as I had a concert in London and won’t be back till Sunday night

1. Oil leaks

2. Undertray bulge

3. Exterior/interior scratches (especially on the black plastic within the car and the black panels on the doors of the car

4. Interior seat belts

5. Binding

6. Hazard lights

7. Stress test seatbelts

8. I checked whistling noise out the window at around 80mph and no excess noise it’s actually 🤫

10. The charging cable (they actually just put the case in the car and no lead and I opened it and said there’s no lead in here) he gave me one lol 😂

The indicators are loud as I’ve heard in the chat but I really don’t care about that and of course I wanted to check that it reaches its 100mph speed limit and it sure does very fast! To be honest I genuinely think it could keep up with most cars

I will continue to review as I believe it really helps everyone to hear the good and bad
Congratulations. Looks like you've landed yourself a good car.
The indicator volume can be adjusted in the settings.

1. Oil leaks

2. Undertray bulge

4. Interior seat belts

5. Binding

6. Hazard lights

7. Stress test seatbelts

At a 100mph ,the only cars keeping up with you will have funny flashing blue lights on 😱

So when has anybody EVER gone on a forum to sing a cars praises?? Hardly ever BUT an issue and immediately keyboard warriors appear, look at bigger picture lots of reviews have nothing but glowing talks, won Car of the year. There are always issues and the lane assist etc is something by law that every new car needs now (THANKS BRUSSELLS) so just use the negatives to make sure you check when you collect, end of the day go to Audi bmw and I bet you find similar forums it's a £28k ish car I'd pay £10k less for niggles

Thanks everyone will keep everyone updated as best I can with issues and good reflections of everything :) @Ian Key thank you yes I’ve just been sent the YouTube video on how to turn the volume indicator down my old car was 2007 so massive upgrade but I’m not the greatest at technology 😂 @Torryhun yes I know whoop whoop it’s the sound of the police 🎶 I am definitely not glamorising speeding I hate speeding and it makes me feel nauseas travelling at that speed had to give the car a real bit of welly though to make sure it did everything it was supposed to thanks all for your help :)

I've just emailed my lease company to cancel my order.
I'm seeing far too many issues in the MG4s, plus not having a build slot confirmed whilst there are cars ready to go at dealers all over the country, means I'm going to abandon the idea of a Salary Sacrifice lease and go looking for something on the 2nd hand market.

Original shape MG5 Exclusives can be had for £15.5k upwards, but there's a premium for LR versions, and a 2-3 year old Hyundai Kona can be had for £20k. I'm leaning towards a Kona in Premium SE trim now.

100% this in my case also. First batch in October and now 100% Sorted. Even my LKA stays off!!
Its the first car we have had that even the wife loves driving. Great range, very comfortable and drives a dream. Mine had vibration/rumble and once tyres were changed its as smooth as a babys bum at all speeds!! Mines a Trophy also.
Hi
What tyres do you use now?

I'm seeing far too many issues in the MG4s, plus not having a build slot confirmed whilst there are cars ready to go at dealers all over the country, means I'm going to abandon the idea of a Salary Sacrifice lease and go looking for something on the 2nd hand market.

Original shape MG5 Exclusives can be had for £15.5k upwards, but there's a premium for LR versions, and a 2-3 year old Hyundai Kona can be had for £20k. I'm leaning towards a Kona in Premium SE trim now.
Steve, before you cancel, are you using Tusker?

I ordered my MG4 in Sep 22, got it a few days back, driven it 100 miles or so, done some normal road and motorway driving, really special drive, getting used to it but wow, great car. Floor pan ok, no apparent oil leak, only little thing is Android auto keeps dropping out, prob fix in due coarse and motorway road noise is noticeable but not too bad (probably Welsh M4, not the best motorway).

Lovin' it, charging as much as I can off solar using Zappi, done an overnight scheduled charge (Octopus Go) to go on a longer trip (not done yet) :)

Konas are right up there amongst the most efficient EV's, we have them as our work fleet now

Thanks everyone will keep everyone updated as best I can with issues and good reflections of everything :) @Ian Key thank you yes I’ve just been sent the YouTube video on how to turn the volume indicator down my old car was 2007 so massive upgrade but I’m not the greatest at technology 😂 @Torryhun yes I know whoop whoop it’s the sound of the police 🎶 I am definitely not glamorising speeding I hate speeding and it makes me feel nauseas travelling at that speed had to give the car a real bit of welly though to make sure it did everything it was supposed to thanks all for your help :)
I think most of us will floor it at some point, just to check of course 😉

⚰️⚰️I've just emailed my lease company to cancel my order.

The 5 drives fine, in a very vague way.
Accelerates strongly, it’s 100kgs lighter than the 4.
Bit of a wheelspin monster, soft suspension means a lot of weight shift and possibly poor tyres (although cornering and braking grip seemed fine).
My BIL has done 47000 miles in 11 months in his taxi 5 now without a single issue.
However…my last comment is telling…the 5 is very popular with taxi drivers and the weeks on end I had mine on loan had taxi drivers assuming I was also one of them. :)
That aside, it’s just such a dull car to look at and the interior is a mess of buttons and analogue dials….yuck.
Honestly, it made me feel 75. 👴
The facelift one looks better outside and in, but that’s irrelevant to you.

1. Oil leaks

2. Undertray bulge

4. Interior seat belts

5. Binding

6. Hazard lights

7. Stress test seatbelts

Hey @miaMG , great to hear that so far so good :) Keep us updated and I promise to do similar when (thanks to you) I pick my SE LR Camden Grey up on April 15th. Happy motoring.

Approaching 2000 kilometres in the new MG4, and still only good things to report. Yes, still having to switch off LKA (although when I inadvertently leave it on, it's not as annoying/intrusive as it was). But I've just done a pretty quick drive to and from a town that's about an hour away from where I live – mostly country roads, albeit nice fast ones. We covered around 120 km, it's used 30% of battery and averaged 17.3 kW/100 km, leaving an estimated 275 km on the clock – that's with three people and some luggage in the car. That means it could have covered ca. 380 km (possibly more) in that configuration.

It's driven impeccably, and I've finally realised what really sets EVs apart from IC vehicles – the extraordinary responsiveness. The car reacts instantly to whatever your foot does on the pedal, from extremely subtle speed changes to rapid acceleration/deceleration. It means you can zoom along a nice clear road very quickly, but then slow down for curves or parts of the road you don't know well without missing a beat or having to weigh gears against speed against braking – you just lift or lower your foot. Occasionally you have to use the brake, but watching the regen kick in when you do makes it a positively pleasant experience!

It takes a little while to shift your mentality to fully appreciate this total flexibility. But once you do, another wonderful thing happens – you lose your range anxiety, because you realise your car really is like a smartphone. If you need a bit of charge, you can plug it in anytime. I was shopping this morning and took about 10% off the battery while doing so. I put the car on to charge before the later drive, and after about 3 hours it was fully charged again (and that's off a standard domestic socket, not even a reinforced one). I've put it on again this evening, and by tomorrow morning it should be pretty much recharged – at overnight rates, so very cheaply.

You can also drive in such a way as to minimise battery consumption: by switching to Eco mode and driving slowly. Not too slowly, because you'll find there's a trade-off between using and not using the car's (considerable) inertia for regen purposes. Interestingly, I've found it's sometimes more efficient (depending on the roads – curvy is best) to drive with a certain amount of brio rather than driving very slowly all the time. Again, it's something to get used to.

And finally – it's fun. The smoothness of the ride (on good roads) and the almost total silence are both wonderful. You can chat easily, you can play classical music (not really possible in our Dacia Duster or previous, more sophisticated and better soundproofed Kia Sportage), you don't feel stressed by surging engine noise. I begin to understand why Tesla owners become so passionate/evangelical. But I'm delighted to have paid so much less for the same experience! ;-)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 422 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back