so.. who misses their ICE car....

There are some aspects that my Peugeot 307 sw that I miss, the fact I could chuck building materials , tools etc in , 2.4 m lengths of timber ,completely remove the rear seats and there is loads of space for the dogs . I have not yet disturbed the pristine nature of the MG , in fact its still on the mantlepiece in its box awaiting courage or desperation.

MG 4 replaced a 1.8 lpg converted TF. I miss having the beater that I threw around but don’t miss the noise, vibration or going to the gas or petrol station. I’ve kept my other car as it’s a little diesel for if there is an unplanned emergency or a long journey (my maths says I’m better off on a jaunt just paying for diesel vs going in the 4 and having to wait at rip off public chargers).

Getting back into a 1.1diesel Rio feels like going back in time.

I've kept my 2.2d Mazda 3, I tuned it myself, upgraded the suspension myself & it's a gorgeous drive, especially on winding b roads as it's a 2 stage turbo so the power delivery is smooth all the way to 4500rpm. I love the the torque vectoring, ebc yellow brake bite. If it was electric I think I'd marry it!

I had to get rid of my 2009 Golf GTi in April. In some ways the new-car features of the MG4 which aren't EV specific are clouding the issue a bit. I'd had that Golf a long time and I loved the car, but it was time to move on, and one thing's for sure I don't miss sitting on top of a noisy piston engine. I would have said the Golf was quiet and smooth, but the EV is in an entirely different class.

Last edited:
I don't miss my previous ICE car because I still have it!

Now I'm getting used to the quirks and foibles of the MG I'm missing my old power-shift Ford Focus 2.0 Titanium X less and less.
I definitely don't miss having to visit the petrol station and wondering how much it's going to cost this time. I also don't miss the noise and having to go outside to unlock the car and start it to warm it up. And the big one... costing 28p/mile instead of around 3p/mile in fuel.

We have both a petrol and electric car in the household so best of both worlds really.

I think one of the biggest problems with EV’s and I suppose newer models of all cars in general is getting rid of physical buttons for touch screen controls. This is something that I personally don’t want. I recently got a E-Golf instead of my MG4 and I love the fact it has proper climate controls, buttons and knobs for everything.

I thought I would miss my old car but now I’m into this one. How quiet is is and not having to constantly reach for the clutch and gear lever when not driving on the motorway. Would I go back to an ice car no way. Should have gone electric sooner and as long as I don’t have any problems with this one at least that’s can’t be resolved quickly then I’ll be sticking with this for a few years. Maybe then in a few years there will be more choice to look at in my price range.

I was driving a 2016 Astra SRI (the one with the 1.4i Turbo 150PS engine). I don't miss it, not least because we traded it in just before the extended warranty we had expired and it was giving off very bad vibes (random undiagnosable clutch issues, faulty TPMS, weird bugs with the infotainment system, random battery drain). The MG4 is more or less like for like in terms of size and relative performance, but it handles better and it's been issue free - other than when somebody reversed into it the other week when it was parked and it's off to the garage tomorrow under their insurance, expecting long delays replacing the damaged parts). It was also nice to see the clock automatically changed this morning. The Astra never did.

I have a friend who has a diesel car, and they bought a Leaf for his wife several years ago. When I said something about the best of both worlds, he said they only ever use the EV and the ICE car spent most of its time with a flat battery. The Leaf was just so much nicer to drive.

Last time I spoke to him he said he was thinking of scrapping the diesel car. He could sell it on, he said, but he couldn't quite square it with his conscience to pass it on to someone so it could go on polluting the atmosphere.

Last time I spoke to him he said he was thinking of scrapping the diesel car. He could sell it on, he said, but he couldn't quite square it with his conscience to pass it on to someone so it could go on polluting the atmosphere.
I admire his ethics but the problem being is that person will buy a diesel car from someone else if not from him.

I think his view is that he is responsible for the car he owns, so he will do the ethical thing and scrap it. He's not responsible for any other diesel car, or the person who will buy that other car.

Last edited:
I do miss my ICE. It had ACC that worked very well, no LKA (yahoo!), it was auto, quicker than an X-Power, heating stayed at whatever (sensible) temperature you set, handled much better, buttons/dials for all the commonly used functions. You could customise all sorts of aspects of the car including the driver display, even individual LEDs in the lights could be programmed, override manufacturer defaults etc via ODB11. And I'd happily strangle the scotes that stole it!

But I do like the cheap miles, instant torque and the quietnes of the EV. I'll be staying EV in the future.

We had 2 ICE cars. A 2009 Honda FRV Diesel which we had from new and did 175K in. This we sold.

The other is the boys' car: a 2002 Mitsubishi Space Star with 91K on the clock.

I do miss the FRV's ability to swallow heaps of stuff. It was so easy to throw the seats down and pile it high with stuff, whether it was going on a family holiday, taking rubbish to the tip or the eldest son's stuff to and from Uni.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back