so.. who misses their ICE car....

I do miss certain aspects of my previous ICE performance cars (two Golf R's and a Leon Cupra 290) - these being the better sound, slightly better handling agility around bends , the range and driver engagement to some extent. But on a practical day to day basis the Xpower is right up there with them and offers much lower pence per mile (home charging), straight line performance if desired, and ride comfort is comparibale if not better.

I do miss certain aspects of my previous ICE performance cars (two Golf R's and a Leon Cupra 290) - these being the better sound, slightly better handling agility around bends , the range and driver engagement to some extent. But on a practical day to day basis the Xpower is right up there with them and offers much lower pence per mile (home charging), straight line performance if desired, and ride comfort is comparibale if not better.
Vw VR6 engine is the sexiest sounding machine ever...

I had an R32 in 2008./9 ... that was a fantastic sound but not especially quick. It's the one car I wish I had kept forever and kept pristine. It came with the heated Recaro seats too.

Switched from a Nissan Note and a BMW 530 M Sports to an MG 4 EV a few months ago, chasing the eco-friendly dream. The scale of the savings hit me by surprise! Filling up the MG is a steal compared to the BMW - one fill-up for the BMW equals over 20 charges for the MG.

Had a bit of range anxiety at first, thanks to all the EV disinformation out there. But six months down the line, that worry is history. The MG 4 EV's been solid for daily drives and the odd long trip.

Do I miss the old ICE cars? Not really. Especially when I think of all those chilly waits at the petrol station. Now, I just plug in at home, easy-peasy. The BMW was great to drive, and the Nissan was a practical buddy, but the MG’s definitely got its own charm plus it’s doing the planet some good. The savings and the skip on petrol station visits? That’s the cherry on top!

I can't say I'll miss daily driving combustion vehicles when I have a couple of classics for nice summer days and when I don't have to be somewhere reliably.

The only thing I miss about my older ICE cars is how simple they were.
Get in pull choke out, turn the key and away you go.

My replacement car while the MG4 is in for its repair is a 22 plate Toyota Corolla hybrid. Seats aren't as comfortable, brake and accelerator feel mushy and the infotainment screen is not nearly as sharp. And so many buttons, buttons everywhere for everything. Maybe I got used to the MG, but there are definite benefits to not having a separate button for everything and mapping stuff to either the programmable buttons or context sensitive joysticks on the steering wheel. The ACC seems a little bit smoother, but that may be something to do with the regen being less heavy.

Quiet effortless and that EV torque. I am a techno nut so the touch screen setup and dearth of physical buttons is a bonus. Why people (including motoring Journalists) keep harping on about the air conditioning not having physical buttons I cannot fathom. Would I go back. Not on your nellie.

Get in pull choke out, turn the key and away you go.
LOL!

Maintenance isn't simpler though is it - how often between miles does the manual state you have to grease all the grease points, check the oil in the carb, grease the brakes, lube the clutch mech, etc? Not really a car you jump in and daily drive. I know because I have a car of a similar vintage.

LOL!

Maintenance isn't simpler though is it - how often between miles does the manual state you have to grease all the grease points, check the oil in the carb, grease the brakes, lube the clutch mech, etc? Not really a car you jump in and daily drive. I know because I have a car of a similar vintage.
Actually I wasn't thinking of the Morris as it's never been a daily driver, I had my old Cortinas in mind, mk2 and mk3, back in the 70s.

Actually I wasn't thinking of the Morris as it's never been a daily driver, I had my old Cortinas in mind, mk2 and mk3, back in the 70s.
I'll not get started on 70s cars. :LOL:

I'd say 90s cars were peak ICE (for car as an appliance) - and it's been a bit downhill since then.

Golf R mk7.5 - with some tuning/gearbox remapping/Haldex tweaks/piping changes which transformed it ;)
Sounds impressive! Just goes to show though how impressive the X Power actually is, straight out of the box, so to speak. 🙂👍

I tried to keep it subtle though - no boy racer exhaust over-run crackle that screams look at me etc.

Agree, the X-Power 0-60 and quarter mile performance is impressive, especially at the price point.

The Golf was considerably cheaper than an X-Power when I bought it though (6 months old with Cat N - wing/fuse box damage)

Attachments

• 00000IMG_00000_5601100_COVER.jpg
    00000IMG_00000_5601100_COVER.jpg
    479.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I miss my old cars for different reasons. My Fiat 125 Sport was mental, you could change down to 2nd at 60mph and it would happily accelerate to 80 with the revcounter needle hidden below the edge of the dial. My Alfasud Sprint would run rings around the XR3 my friend drove. Both did tend to suffer from the 1970's Italian tin rot though, spent a fortune on filler and fibreglass patches on both of them. The two VW Jetta's I had were dull but incredibly reliable. Also had a Kia Pride for a couple of years, followed by a Skoda Rapid - one of the most unknown cars in the UK. Prior to the Skoda, all my cars had one thing in common - radio's replaced by a Pioneer cd autochanger setup, a 500w amplifier and homemade parcel shelves to carry the 6x9" speakers in the back. The Skoda was a good, reliable commuter tool, but the first I couldn't transplant my sound rig into without too much surgery.

I'm reserving judgement until I've spent an entire winter with my MG4. So far I dont miss my ICE at all.

In fact I love the smooth effortless driving of my EV makes me think ICE cars really are old fashioned and sitting behind a diesel pumping out fumes at the traffic lights as I dive to turn on cabin air recycle but still get a taste of that acrid stench makes me realise they are things of the past.

But I want to see how my MG4 perform in frost/snow and how my range will be affected. So far I have proved my family wrong chosing an EV, they have read to many newpaper reports saying how awful they are.

Last edited:
I don't miss my previous ICE car because I still have it! And use it most days (2007 Toyota Auris 5d 2,0d). Love the smoothness of the MG4 tough, but got to keep the km down on it.

I'm also on the waiting list for a GR Yaris so I'll probably be on a Toyota forum in a couple of years time responding to forum topics like 'who misses their ev' 😈😈

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back