so.. who misses their ICE car....

car that sounds better than sex doesnt need go faster... hahahaha
I had an R32 in 2008./9 ... that was a fantastic sound but not especially quick. It's the one car I wish I had kept forever and kept pristine. It came with the heated Recaro seats too.

I'll not get started on 70s cars. :LOL:

I'd say 90s cars were peak ICE (for car as an appliance) - and it's been a bit downhill since then.
Yes the 1995 Mk1 Ford Mondeo I had was a great everyday car.

Love the MG5 so relaxing and covers 95% of my driving needs and runs on sunshine or octopus go so running cost is typically on average 1p per mile !
Living in the middle of of nowhere I still have 2 ICE cars
2007 Skoda Octavia Scout Diesel 4x4 which is he car used for rough work and very muddy dogs
1999 Audi Conv. which is a play car and appears to be indestructible (no rust and everything works still)

I'm not enjoying my replacement Toyota Corolla at all. Everything just feels slower, cramped and more primitive than the MG4. Can't wait until I get it back. Mind you, the LKA is controlled by a switch on the steering wheel on the Corolla so it's easy to turn off, but it doesn't work even when turned on.

The only thing I miss about my older ICE cars is how simple they were.
Get in pull choke out, turn the key and away you go.
And I thought I was old!
Pull out choke,
Physically wind down windows,
Foot switch for high beam.......

Mind you my Dad tells me to "Shut Up!!!"

He only needed two words for his transport back in the day.......

whoa and giddy up 👍🤣

The only thing I really miss (but have gotten over it) is the noise on full chat.
1, V12, 1 V10, Several V8's,
(One Supercharged V8) Straight 6 M3 was an absolute peach.

Don't miss the cost of tax, servicing, fuel, tyres etc.

Last edited:
How about the can of Easy-Start - my student days Mk I Cortina estate had a can strapped to the dash, and tube going through the firewall into the air filter. No faffing around under the bonnet every winters morning!
Clever, like it! 🙂👍

The thing is, I always knew that Prospero (my Golf GTi Mk6) was likely to be the nicest car I would ever own. I did look at new GTis when Prospero bit the dust, but the prices were more than I could really justify spending. Another thought was a low-ish mileage second-hand GTi, but I had the notion all along of my next car being an EV.

If the MG4 hadn't been available I don't know what I would have done, because it was exactly the type of car I wanted, at a price I was prepared to pay. I didn't see any others. But there it was. It's not the spec quality of the GTi, but the novelty value of having an EV totally makes up for that. I would have been missing Prospero if he'd been replaced by another petrol car, I think. But Caliban is such a quantum shift, he entirely makes up for it.

Yeah, if you add a few options to a new GTI you’re already over £40,000, and the higher car tax that comes with it.

Yeah, if you add a few options to a new GTI you’re already over £40,000, and the higher car tax that comes with it.
My car before last was a Golf GTI and as much as I liked that car, I can't see myself buying VW again, just seems overpriced.

My last car was a Skoda, so also VAG product, but again, though it was a competent car and better value than my Golf, it can't hold a candle to the pleasure I get from driving my MG, and Skoda EVs are stupidly expensive.

So, I am struggling at this point to see why I would buy a traditional brand, except perhaps on the service side - but then I haven't had anything I needed to get sorted yet on the car. I'm more likely to switch to a different Chinese brand if anything. Maybe I'd consider a Renault, I think they are getting it right.

My first car was a Golf and I've had more VAG cars than any other makes. But at this point I have lost interest in them.

I'm insisting to the car-sharing groups of friends I belong to that it's always my turn to drive. I took a 450-mile trip (900 miles round trip) in August rather than buy a plane ticket and sit back. I'm currently looking at offering to be the driver for the 100-mile trip to my friend's brother's house where we always go on Boxing Day, even though I'll have to find a charge at the other end (but look what is barely six miles from brother's house).

1698865805612.png

In previous years, even when Prospero was new, I have tried my best to weasel out of being the one to take her car. I could easily weasel out of it this time by pleading range and charging necessity (my friend's Golf or her husband's antique Merc would both do it on one tank of petrol, obvs). But I'm even prepared to pass on the sherry to do it this year.

It's mad.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel