so.. who misses their ICE car....

Another point to remember is, Boxing Day as normally a full football programme and as it's the holidays lots of travelling fans, how many have EVs could not say, thinking about the charger availability, good luck.

I think the middle of the day should be all right. I would have thought that was too close to kick-off for many sports fans to want to be charging - anyone going beyond the range of their car is more likely to charge on the way home, perhaps. And maybe I'm overthinking it, but the population who is going out visiting for the day (which includes me) is more likely to be doing the visiting at that time than going to a charger. There are seven connectors at the electric forecourt I'm heading for, so I'm optimistic.

Am currently driving a courtesy car - a 3 year old manual petrol Peugeot. I know I am comparing apples with pears but the MG4 Trophy is miles ahead. The Peugeot is noisy, slow, clunky and lacks most of the bells and whistles. The only advantage is it’s 400 mile range. I hadn’t realised just how obsessed I have become watching the range on my MG4.
Would I go back to an ICE car with equivalent bells and whistles - I doubt it.

I had a Peugeot EV as a courtesy car, and it couldn't hold a candle to the MG4, despite being about five grand more expensive (I looked it up).

I don't care about range. I often drive 100 miles in a day, but seldom more than that. I know I'm good for 150 and more in the summer. I come back home and plug in. What could be better?

Except, I'm going to Yorkshire on 23rd December. Pray for me.

Last edited:
I had a Peugeot EV as a courtesy car, and it couldn't hold a candle to the MG4, despite being about five grand more expensive (I looked it up).

I don't care about range. I often drive 100 miles in a day, but seldom more than that. I know I'm good for 150 and more in the summer. I come back home and plug in. What could be better?

Except, I'm going to Yorkshire on 23rd December. Pray for me.
🙏🙏 🙏 Going to Yorkshire! 😯😉🙂

Not me. Had a new MG3 as loan car Urgh.
Ah yes I had that just after buying my MG5 and it having to go into the workshop for the check HV battery issues.

Ended up putting over 1K miles on it over the couple weeks I had it, just so happened around the time I needed to make a couple rather long journeys (Usually I wouldn't do that many miles in a month let alone within a couple weeks). I would have preferred to be driving my MG5 even if that did mean several charging stops.

Even if I had still had my previous car available it wouldn't have been suitable for that journey (Had a leaf30 as a stop gap between the ioniq and the mg5)

I dont miss my WRX because i still have it and will never sell it.
The MG4 is a great work commuting car but it will never replace the thrill and sound and driving experience of a fire spitting flat 4 engine.
My WRX also weighs around 1300kg so its very agile and corners like its on rails. Im yet to drive any EV that offers this kind of driving feel and doubt we will see one for many years until most lose their obesity battery pakcks.
Yes the one trick pony MG4 XPower will blitz the WRX in a straight line but point to point the WRX will win by a massive margin

corners like its on rails.
Sounds boring, no thanks. I like car to move around and tell you what it’s doing. ‘On rails’ sounds really bland.

Handling and grip are not the same thing.

More power than grip please, I like to go sideways. That’s why I’d take my old M140i any day over Subaru or Evo, way more fun being a yobbo. Nicer place to sit too, as Japanese car interiors are poo.

Last edited:
I went from an '08 Ford Focus Zetec Auto to the MG4 SR SE, and it was like a quantum leap into the future in comparison. Stuff that is standard on most cars nowadays like cruise control (let alone ACC or TJA), android auto, bluetooth audio and reversing sensors are all brand new to me!

It took me about a week of driving to really get used to the twitchy, instant acceleration and regen brake that made me feel like I was in 1st gear all the time. Now that I've adjusted, I think I would have difficulty going back to that "mushy" feeling of pressing the pedal and waiting for the revs to spin up, the gearbox to drop down etc.

Other than that, the main difference is charging/fuelling - It's more frequent, I pay more attention to the actual distance and % leftover rather than just filling up a tank on a regular-ish basis. But I'm a huge nerd so that's fine by me.

I'm similar to M101 in that I don't miss my ICE car as I have no intention of getting rid of it yet.

My current main car is a Peugeot e-2008, but I've got an XPower on order. As a daily driver I honestly can't ever see me having anything other than an EV now. I like the Peugeot much more than I expected to, but I'm excited to have the extra performance and range of the MG4 Xpower. I've had some fairly nice daily drivers in my time, but the EV's simply do that job much better.

However...as a lifelong car enthusiast I'm still not ready to give up ICE for fun yet. As good as an EV is, it simply can't (yet) match the overall speed, performance, drama and driving fun of a really good ICE sports car.

Unlike a lot of people though, I'm definitely open to the idea of EV sportscars in the future. (Although I will miss the noise)

The MG4 is a great work commuting car but it will never replace the thrill and sound and driving experience of a fire spitting flat 4 engine.
My WRX also weighs around 1300kg so its very agile and corners like its on rails. Im yet to drive any EV that offers this kind of driving feel and doubt we will see one for many years until most lose their obesity battery pakcks.
Yes the one trick pony MG4 XPower will blitz the WRX in a straight line but point to point the WRX will win by a massive margin
I once had a playful race with a WRX , I was on a ZRX1100 which like the MG was great at straight line blasting but a bit too heavy and unwieldly on bends , because of the road overtaking was not possible so a draw was settled on , the grin on the drivers face suggested different .

I’m starting to feel a little strained now after my 3 months and a little time, I shouldn’t but I am.

Not the car so much in itself but….

Paid to get a charge point in done time off work, waiting for NG to unloop so a bit of friction with next door and waiting - not serious but it’ll be more time off work. British Gas and their incompetence, tariff not working so time off for another set of smart meters - still not working and time at work on the phone, I can’t even swap suppliers yet. Car wouldn’t charge the other night, power line adapters interfering so need to run a load of cat6 to shed - more money/effort, it’s not a nice run over a communal road.

Now water in the boot, no doubt will be more time I need off work plus I’m sick of phoning people.

My issues are small compared to some but I’ve got l rather fed up in a short space of time. Starting to feel like pouring diesel or petrol in was easier!

I miss every single ice bike, van, pickup and car and there have been 45 of them over the 58 years. I’d love to convert them all to ev’s and see how they drove. But perhaps I’ll just stay content with the 5 long range for now at least. It’s just so effortless, quiet and comfortable.

I would rater have the Peugeot E-2008 GT from last year, it was cheaper, more quiet and comfortable. Not so good on country roads as the MG4 but as long one drive normaly you never notice. The one thing sinking it for me was no towbar so MG4 it was as the only downside beside more money down the drain is more roadnoise. If I did not live in Norway (massive incentives) I probably had bought a newish Toyota Auris or Yaris ICE in stead.

I've just had an attack of masochism and posted a load of accusations of the whole thing being rigged under The McMaster's highly contrived YouTube John O'Groat's to Land's End tale of woe. Oh, the declarations that EVs are junk and useless and so on.

EVs are going to do to ICE cars what digital cameras did to 35 mm film, and for much the same reasons.
With all due respect, I disagree with you on this.

I actually some what agree with Geoff and Lee, If we set the stage to be as is and not take precautions to even the playing field EVs are shit in Britain. If we on the other hand is some what sensible and change the narrative a bit we would reach both the same and another conclusions.

As in the roadtrip mentioned the Ev should have been charged at arrival or through the night, as an EV owner that do long trips this is an absolute must do and have to be planned in to the trip. But and this is a big but, the test as done is a walid side by side comparision.

To be clear, EVs in Britain is shit because of your useless government the last 13 years or so, whom have not prepeared the energy situation and fast charging capacity. Compared to Norway Britain is a laughin stock when it comes to provision for fast charging so that you can make longer car journeys with an EV with the number of EVs you have on your roads these days.
Therefore you have to plan longer trips with EV not only in terms of where you will charge, but also when you make the trip. In practice, this more often than not reduces the experience of longer journeys with an EV to a negative experience compared to an ICE car on busy days.
If one see it on the practical side, most journeys are short and as long your EV is normaly operated inside its homecharge range it wil be fine. Infact much better than a ICE in day to day use, so one have to be conscious of what one expects the car should do for you to be happy about it.

For my own part I got my old ICE a diesel I drive most days to keep the km down on the MG4 (because I have a tendency to drive the MG4 a bit to much 😉) and is happy with using both og them.

I wonder own many people did what I did and kept their ICE as a backup car just in case their EV broke!

In my case it turned out to be an excellent decision!

I had my hopes up for the MG cyberstar , as it seemed like they may have been aiming to make something like an MX5.

However I think it will be a struggle to make something that weighs 1100KG while still having a reasonable range, we shall see.

With all due respect, I disagree with you on this.

I actually some what agree with Geoff and Lee, If we set the stage to be as is and not take precautions to even the playing field EVs are shit in Britain. If we on the other hand is some what sensible and change the narrative a bit we would reach both the same and another conclusions.

As in the roadtrip mentioned the Ev should have been charged at arrival or through the night, as an EV owner that do long trips this is an absolute must do and have to be planned in to the trip. But and this is a big but, the test as done is a walid side by side comparision.

To be clear, EVs in Britain is shit because of your useless government the last 13 years or so, whom have not prepeared the energy situation and fast charging capacity. Compared to Norway Britain is a laughin stock when it comes to provision for fast charging so that you can make longer car journeys with an EV with the number of EVs you have on your roads these days.
Therefore you have to plan longer trips with EV not only in terms of where you will charge, but also when you make the trip. In practice, this more often than not reduces the experience of longer journeys with an EV to a negative experience compared to an ICE car on busy days.
If one see it on the practical side, most journeys are short and as long your EV is normaly operated inside its homecharge range it wil be fine. Infact much better than a ICE in day to day use, so one have to be conscious of what one expects the car should do for you to be happy about it.

For my own part I've got my old ICE, a diesel I drive most days to keep the km down on the MG4 (because I have a tendency to drive the MG4 a bit to much 😉) and am happy with using both of them.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but still stand by my position. What you say is very much what I said in the comments. The issue is not that "Electric cars are shit" - in Britain or anywhere else. The issue is that the public charging network in Britain is shit, and that is not the fault of the cars, it is the fault of the government, fair and square.

What I take issue with is the overall thrust of the message, which is that THE CARS THEMSELVES ARE SHIT and nobody should ever buy one. Also, that because an EV is not as good as an ICE car in certain specific situations, then an EV is good for nothing and nobody should ever buy one. Also, that because there are certain problems that have not yet been solved, that affect certain uses, EVs can never be good for anything and the whole idea should be abandoned.

If the point of the videos was to criticise the public charging network and so prompt the government into doing something, I'd be more or less behind them. But it's not. The point is to stop the change from ICE cars to EVs, full stop, by smearing EVs. Not to make things better for EVs, but to kill them.

Horses for courses, as they say. If your daily requirement involves long motorway journeys under time pressure, do not buy an EV. Ditto towing caravans. But that pair act as if long motorway journeys and towing caravans are essential for everyone. You get the occasional throwaway line about "well, maybe they're OK for people who can charge at home and don't do a high mileage" (usually expressed as "just drive to the shops once a week", as if that's all you can do with a 200-mile range), but in a tone of voice that implies that's only a small group of really sad people, not actually most of the motoring public.

The EV was never going to beat that diesel. (Although bear in mind that the Volvo Geoff was going to use broke down the day before the challenge and the EV would have won by default if he hadn't bought another car.) Even a Tesla was going to have its work cut out beating that diesel, if Geoff was prepared to do some serious endurance driving and just not stop. But that's not the way people normally drive these distances. A half-hour break every two or three hours is recommended to avoid driving fatique. The thing about EVs is they force these breaks, rather than allowing drivers in a hurry to skip them.

The issue is the charging network, not the cars. But even there, Lee deliberately chose the worst, the most inconvenient, the most time-wasting chargers, when there were better alternatives pretty much every time. I know the roads and the chargers in the north of England and the south of Scotland, and I could see what he was doing. And I've only had my car 7 months!

After saying he had a plan, and even saying some sensible things about not stopping between charges and charging 10% to 80% and going for Ionity chargers if possible, he actually wandered around at random, not apparently even knowing whether there were chargers where he was stopping, never mind what type, and often stopping at random places at a high SoC. He spent ages faffing around at the old un-upgraded Gridserves at Southwaite, where he would only have got 50 Kw if he had got on. In fact there is a site with 12 new 350 Kw Ionitys only 12 miles further on, which he ignored. When he gave up at Southwaite, he drove right past them and went on to Gretna - where he chose the small Ionity installation over by the hotel, and ran into more trouble, rather than the 12 new Applegreens in the main car park.

Killington Lake, on the way south, was a complete farce. That is the service station I always liked to stop at with my ICE cars. It's 120 miles on my way south, a couple of hours drive, just right for lunch. So I thought that's where I'd stop with my EV. Oh no, says ABRP. Go to Porsche Centre South Lakes. No, I said, I want lunch in the Roadchef, not to sit in the middle of a wet field beside a car showroom for half an hour. Lay me a course for Killington Lake! OK, said ABRP, but if you do that you will have to stay there for 2 hours 5 minutes.

I looked at the chargers, and ABRP had them rated at only 40 Kw - and you could see that on Lee's phone. (ZapMaps has them at only 25 Kw - almost unheard of for a CCS charger.) That was fair warning. I had 450 miles to go, that was no use. But I still wanted lunch. I looked around some more and found a new 125 Kw Instavolt charger at Greenland's Farm shop, just a couple of miles past the Porsche Centre, and settled on that. The Porsche Centre was my backup charger but I didn't need it, I got the Instavolt. I was only going to visit friends, not racing a diesel car while being filmed for YouTube, and I'd only had my EV for four months, but even I could figure that one out.

They chose Killington Lake for their overnight stop. (Of course, loads of people have done the whole trip in EVs in a single day, starting very early, but they were going to waste so much time that wasn't going to be possible.) Normally one would try to find a hotel with overnight type 2 charging, but failing that, actually Killington Lake was paradoxically not a bad choice. The very slow chargers don't matter if you're staying the night.

So what did Lee do? He parked up without going near the chargers, and the pair of them went off to Kendal for a meal in a restaurant. Leaving the Porsche sitting empty and not charging. Then they came back and went to bed, again without attempting to put the Porsche on charge. In the morning, when they were ready to go, Lee says, better just charge the car. Then they "discovered" the extremely low charge rate, and that it would be lunchtime before the car was charged. After sitting around for some time watching the glacially slow charge rate, Lee suddenly "remembered" the Porsche Centre about 15 miles away, where he is seen charging in one of his earlier videos, and the pair removed themselves over there, having a browse round the car showroom while the Taycan charged. I don't suppose they got going much before lunchtime.

When asked why he hadn't charged earlier at Killington Lake, Lee protested that he couldn't have left the car on a charger overnight, because what if someone had come in during the night desperate for a charge? He ignored the comments saying that he should have charged the car while they went to dinner - the timing would have been about right. Finally he bleated "I was tired and just wanted to go to bed!" So much for being determined to win this important race. In fact there are three CCS connectors there. He could have sat all night on one of them and still left two for any unfortunate who had turned up during the night desperate for a charge, and was unaware of better, faster alternatives nearby.

I could go on, but this is well beyond tl;dr already. This is just a sample, it was like that all the way through.

If the point had been to show that motorway service stations have not all been upgraded as they should have been, and that finding the most appropriate charger can be hard for drivers unwise to the ways of ZapMaps and ABRP, that might have been fair. But this was supposed to be a race Lee had prepared for, and to show the best that an experienced and well-prepared EV driver could do. The implication was that it's this bad for everyone all the time, and that nothing can possibly be done about it, and that their trip has just "KILLED the electric car for EVer!!"

It's pernicious nonsense.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but still stand by my position. What you say is very much what I said in the comments. The issue is not that "Electric cars are shit" - in Britain or anywhere else. The issue is that the public charging network in Britain is shit, and that is not the fault of the cars, it is the fault of the government, fair and square.

What I take issue with is the overall thrust of the message, which is that THE CARS THEMSELVES ARE SHIT and nobody should ever buy one. Also, that because an EV is not as good as an ICE car in certain specific situations, then an EV is good for nothing and nobody should ever buy one. Also, that because there are certain problems that have not yet been solved, that affect certain uses, EVs can never be good for anything and the whole idea should be abandoned.

If the point of the videos was to criticise the public charging network and so prompt the government into doing something, I'd be more or less behind them. But it's not. The point is to stop the change from ICE cars to EVs, full stop, by smearing EVs. Not to make things better for EVs, but to kill them.

Horses for courses, as they say. If your daily requirement involves long motorway journeys under time pressure, do not buy an EV. Ditto towing caravans. But that pair act as if long motorway journeys and towing caravans are essential for everyone. You get the occasional throwaway line about "well, maybe they're OK for people who can charge at home and don't do a high mileage" (usually expressed as "just drive to the shops once a week", as if that's all you can do with a 200-mile range), but in a tone of voice that implies that's only a small group of really sad people, not actually most of the motoring public.

The EV was never going to beat that diesel. (Although bear in mind that the Volvo Geoff was going to use broke down the day before the challenge and the EV would have won by default if he hadn't bought another car.) Even a Tesla was going to have its work cut out beating that diesel, if Geoff was prepared to do some serious endurance driving and just not stop. But that's not the way people normally drive these distances. A half-hour break every two or three hours is recommended to avoid driving fatique. The thing about EVs is they force these breaks, rather than allowing drivers in a hurry to skip them.

The issue is the charging network, not the cars. But even there, Lee deliberately chose the worst, the most inconvenient, the most time-wasting chargers, when there were better alternatives pretty much every time. I know the roads and the chargers in the north of England and the south of Scotland, and I could see what he was doing. And I've only had my car 7 months!

After saying he had a plan, and even saying some sensible things about not stopping between charges and charging 10% to 80% and going for Ionity chargers if possible, he actually wandered around at random, not apparently even knowing whether there were chargers where he was stopping, never mind what type, and often stopping at random places at a high SoC. He spent ages faffing around at the old un-upgraded Gridserves at Southwaite, where he would only have got 50 Kw if he had got on. In fact there is a site with 12 new 350 Kw Ionitys only 12 miles further on, which he ignored. When he gave up at Southwaite, he drove right past them and went on to Gretna - where he chose the small Ionity installation over by the hotel, and ran into more trouble, rather than the 12 new Applegreens in the main car park.

Killington Lake, on the way south, was a complete farce. That is the service station I always liked to stop at with my ICE cars. It's 120 miles on my way south, a couple of hours drive, just right for lunch. So I thought that's where I'd stop with my EV. Oh no, says ABRP. Go to Porsche Centre South Lakes. No, I said, I want lunch in the Roadchef, not to sit in the middle of a wet field beside a car showroom for half an hour. Lay me a course for Killington Lake! OK, said ABRP, but if you do that you will have to stay there for 2 hours 5 minutes.

I looked at the chargers, and ABRP had them rated at only 40 Kw - and you could see that on Lee's phone. (ZapMaps has them at only 25 Kw - almost unheard of for a CCS charger.) That was fair warning. I had 450 miles to go, that was no use. But I still wanted lunch. I looked around some more and found a new 125 Kw Instavolt charger at Greenland's Farm shop, just a couple of miles past the Porsche Centre, and settled on that. The Porsche Centre was my backup charger but I didn't need it, I got the Instavolt. I was only going to visit friends, not racing a diesel car while being filmed for YouTube, and I'd only had my EV for four months, but even I could figure that one out.

They chose Killington Lake for their overnight stop. (Of course, loads of people have done the whole trip in EVs in a single day, starting very early, but they were going to waste so much time that wasn't going to be possible.) Normally one would try to find a hotel with overnight type 2 charging, but failing that, actually Killington Lake was paradoxically not a bad choice. The very slow chargers don't matter if you're staying the night.

So what did Lee do? He parked up without going near the chargers, and the pair of them went off to Kendal for a meal in a restaurant. Leaving the Porsche sitting empty and not charging. Then they came back and went to bed, again without attempting to put the Porsche on charge. In the morning, when they were ready to go, Lee says, better just charge the car. Then they "discovered" the extremely low charge rate, and that it would be lunchtime before the car was charged. After sitting around for some time watching the glacially slow charge rate, Lee suddenly "remembered" the Porsche Centre about 15 miles away, where he is seen charging in one of his earlier videos, and the pair removed themselves over there, having a browse round the car showroom while the Taycan charged. I don't suppose they got going much before lunchtime.

When asked why he hadn't charged earlier at Killington Lake, Lee protested that he couldn't have left the car on a charger overnight, because what if someone had come in during the night desperate for a charge? He ignored the comments saying that he should have charged the car while they went to dinner - the timing would have been about right. Finally he bleated "I was tired and just wanted to go to bed!" So much for being determined to win this important race. In fact there are three CCS connectors there. He could have sat all night on one of them and still left two for any unfortunate who had turned up during the night desperate for a charge, and was unaware of better, faster alternatives nearby.

I could go on, but this is well beyond tl;dr already. This is just a sample, it was like that all the way through.

If the point had been to show that motorway service stations have not all been upgraded as they should have been, and that finding the most appropriate charger can be hard for drivers unwise to the ways of ZapMaps and ABRP, that might have been fair. But this was supposed to be a race Lee had prepared for, and to show the best that an experienced and well-prepared EV driver could do. The implication was that it's this bad for everyone all the time, and that nothing can possibly be done about it, and that their trip has just "KILLED the electric car for EVer!!"

It's pernicious nonsense.
What he said. 🙂👍

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums