Spare Strap

Enquirer 62

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Opened the bonnet on my facelift September delivery LRTC over the weekend while cleaning the car. Noticed a spare strap lying across the battery base. The hole on the end looks about the same size as the battery negative post. the other end appears to be fixed under the battery base. Should the strap be fixed to the Neg Terminal or is there another reason for the strap to be there? DSC00069.JPGDSC00071.JPGDSC00070.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00068.JPG
    DSC00068.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 116
I do seem to remember that another owner discovered, two of these strap dangling down loose from his car ?.
Are they some type of transportation hold down straps ??.
If they are not required, then that should have been picked up on the PDI check surely ??.

Hi everyone,

Having my facelift ZS treatment for rust protection, same as I had on my MK1.

Just going over what has been done so far and noticed two adjustable straps around the motor, neither of which are particularly tight. I don't remember my previous car having these.

Anyone else noticed these, wondering what they are for.

Leaving them as I found them of course.

Picture attached.

I do seem to remember that another owner discovered, two of these strap dangling down loose from his car ?.
Are they some type of transportation hold down straps ??.
If they are not required, then that should have been picked up on the PDI check surely ??.
This is the post
Screenshot_20221115_173951.jpg

I have the same material strap on my battery. It looks a little bit like it is the securing strap. My battery has a clamp on the battery tray which holds the battery in place, is it possible that to be type-approved in the UK the battery has to be secured by a metal clamp and a material strap is not approved so they have added the mechanical clamp and left the material strap?

Big guess though as I know nothing about vehicular type-approval/certification.

Many thanks for all your comments. I remember the earlier post about the straps around the motor. I think you are correct in that they are transportation straps. Mine appears to be a single strap. that would fit onto the negative terminal as presumably the cars negative terminal battery leads would be disconnected during shipment. I think the PDI was carried out as the Satnav has worked fine and updates carried out. Been back to dealer for the dreaded yellow warning triangle and arrange service message at 500 miles and all now ok. Not sure if they would have had to open the bonnet for that... Unfortunately i hadn't checked under the bonnet until this weekend so unaware the strap was there. Will bring it to the attention of the dealer next time its in...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom