Spare Wheel?

There doesn't appear to be a spare wheel well, so the only option would be to raise the boot floor if you can afford the room.

Linked to this is query - does the MG4 have jacking points or only lifting points?

If there are no jacking points then a spare wheel may not be of much benefit.

Linked to this is query - does the MG4 have jacking points or only lifting points?

If there are no jacking points then a spare wheel may not be of much benefit.
I've often wondered about the point of jacking points on cars designed not to be supplied with a spare and hence not having a spare wheel well or lift. Strangely the Nissan LEAF is an example - there's nowhere to put a spare (it's bodged into a cradle underneath the rear diffuser on later cars) as there's a flat boot floor despite there being room for a well.
If your tyre is so damaged as to need replacing and you either go to a tyre shop or get a mobile service out then they can (and do) bring a proper jack and can use multiple lift points if required.

A lifting point is a jacking point. All cars have to be able to be lifted at one wheel with a jack rather than just on a lift or else in the event of a broken wheel the only option would be to literally drag the car onto a flatbed causing untold damage! There will be the option to get a space-saver wheel and jacking/changing kit via a third party. You only need to check the wheel specs and jacking/lifting point type to source the correct type of kit.

Tesla don't do any spare wheel or jack kit for my S, either, but I had no issue getting set up with one. Only downside is it takes up room in the boot.

I've often wondered about the point of jacking points on cars designed not to be supplied with a spare and hence not having a spare wheel well or lift. Strangely the Nissan LEAF is an example - there's nowhere to put a spare (it's bodged into a cradle underneath the rear diffuser on later cars) as there's a flat boot floor despite there being room for a well.
If your tyre is so damaged as to need replacing and you either go to a tyre shop or get a mobile service out then they can (and do) bring a proper jack and can use multiple lift points if required.
What about if you wanted to change your brake pads? How can you do that without a jacking point? On any other servicing on the car that requires raising the car?

A lifting point is a jacking point.

What about if you wanted to change your brake pads? How can you do that without a jacking point? On any other servicing on the car that requires raising the car?

It's semantics. Cars have to be lifted as you say. But can it be done from a single point from a seam with a notch for a scissor jack for a non-expert user to do by the side of the road? Or is it intended for a trained user with professional equipment in a workshop?

It's semantics. Cars have to be lifted as you say. But can it be done from a single point from a seam with a notch for a scissor jack for a non-expert user to do by the side of the road? Or is it intended for a trained user with professional equipment in a workshop?
As far as I know, most EV manufacturers recommend lifting the car with professional equipment - even for a simple tyre change/repair.
I believe this is due to the weight of the HV battery (compared to an ICE vehicle, which may cause strain on a single point if a jack is used) and the proximity of the HV battery to the the lifting point (risk of battery compartment breach if the jack were to slip or slide).

And the increasing reality that people can't/won't do it themselves anyway, so why provide a facility that few use correctly?

FWIW I'm sure I saw on one of the YouTube reviews a foam insert under the boot floor that held a sealant/inflation kit. The shape of it suggested to me that it could be replaced by at least a space-saver wheel. 🤷‍♂️

FWIW I'm sure I saw on one of the YouTube reviews a foam insert under the boot floor that held a sealant/inflation kit. The shape of it suggested to me that it could be replaced by at least a space-saver wheel. 🤷‍♂️
This is what I saw in one of the reviews. This was a Trophy spec car.
Not sure a space-saver wheel would fit in terms of the height of the underfloor area - looks a little shallow. Need to check a car physically, with a tape measure!
mg4-boot-underfloor-trophy.jpg

I've watched so many EV reviews lately that I might be getting confused. I certainly saw something that was circular in shape, but perhaps it wasn't an MG4 review video. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I'm sure I saw on one of the YouTube reviews a foam insert under the boot floor that held a sealant/inflation kit. The shape of it suggested to me that it could be replaced by at least a space-saver wheel.

This is what I saw in one of the reviews. This was a Trophy spec car.
Not sure a space-saver wheel would fit in terms of the height of the underfloor area - looks a little shallow. Need to check a car physically, with a tape measure!
View attachment 10770
The insert is neither long enough front to back nor deep enough for a space saver. Even with the floor at the full height of the standard adjustable floor as in this Trophy I also doubt it. Surprising that there's no frunk.

If a tin of gunk and a pump fits in there, surely a skinny space saver will ?

The depth of the space where the compressor and the gunk are located is irrelevant - it's not big enough for a wheel. Otherwise a wheel will have to sit on the floor under the false floor. The standard spacer saver used by MG is a 135 section, so you'll need a ruler to check.

As far as I know, most EV manufacturers recommend lifting the car with professional equipment - even for a simple tyre change/repair.
I believe this is due to the weight of the HV battery (compared to an ICE vehicle, which may cause strain on a single point if a jack is used) and the proximity of the HV battery to the the lifting point (risk of battery compartment breach if the jack were to slip or slide).
The ZS EV manual shows jacking points for use with a scissor jack like on regular vehicles, I assume there is a jack in the toolkit. No reason not to expect the same with the MG4?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 534 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back