Spare Wheel?

Thanks BugEyed for that I believe either you or someone else said that a mk5 golf has this stud pattern if this is correct there are plenty of these space saver wheels on Ebay they are 16" but that is possibly good enough to get you home. Please tell me If I am wrong as I am thinking of investing in one. Cheers. Dave.

The Mk5/6 golfs (probably later or earlier too) are indeed 5x112 with a PCD of 57.1, so will fit. :)

Last edited:
Just looked this up. The 16" golf wheel & tyre combo is far too small. There is an 18" VAG space saver option though, that will be almost exactly correct. Here's an example for sale on ebay at the moment:

Don't know the offset, but as it's a "skinny" and with the T-Roc that it fits having an offset of 45 (only 6mm different to the 4) it should be just fine with no risk of clearance issues.

Further, Offsets of anything between 30 and 75 on a 5" skinny wheel will sit within the profile area of the original MG4 wheel/tyre.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for that info just 2 things to consider it's £20 dearer than the one I was looking at plus it will take up more space to store. So I am torn between the 2 now. Dave.

Thanks for that info just 2 things to consider it's £20 dearer than the one I was looking at plus it will take up more space to store. So I am torn between the 2 now. Dave.
That's just the first example I pulled up, here's a bargain if you were close enough to pick it up! At least it shows what they sometimes can go for. :) Space Saver Spare Wheel 18" | eBay

I wouldn't trust the crappy VAG jack by the way that comes with their wheels, if you do buy a "set". Apart from being flimsy, the jacking head won't be right. . The MG4 is heavy, get a suitable 2 ton scissor instead.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Spacer savers tend to be a higher profile anyway, so the overall diameter is probably very close. (I think ±4% tolerance is allowed - up to 50 mph and 50 miles - for wheels/tyres on the same axle).

Spacer savers tend to be a higher profile anyway, so the overall diameter is probably very close. (I think ±4% tolerance is allowed - up to 50 mph and 50 miles - for wheels/tyres on the same axle).
The 18" VW is spot on, the 16" is nowhere near close. This is because, although they are indeed much higher profile, (70%) that's based on a very skinny tire width, so you don't gain any extra diameter from a smaller, skinny wheel with deeper tyre.

Last edited:
Great advice I will let you know how I get on.Dave.
Parting thoughts... The 16" wheel is over 11% out on the speedo. Also, you really don't want to drive at all with that much difference on the driven rear axle, I know space is the issue for us here, but you might cause damage to the diff, I think the 18" at 2% difference is the only real option.

Last edited:
I have now purchased a space saver from ebay from a seat leon which is basically a vw golf its a 125/70/18. when the weather warms up a little I will find the best way to jack the car and see if it fits. If all goes well I am thinking of making a false floor in the boot with two hatches one side will be the spare wheel and jack and wheel brace and in the other side will be charge leads. I will let you know how I get on. Dave.

I take it you have an SE, as the Trophy already has a false floor.

Would be interested to see the outcome 🙂

I have now purchased a space saver from ebay from a seat leon which is basically a vw golf its a 125/70/18. when the weather warms up a little I will find the best way to jack the car and see if it fits. If all goes well I am thinking of making a false floor in the boot with two hatches one side will be the spare wheel and jack and wheel brace and in the other side will be charge leads. I will let you know how I get on. Dave.
Well done, I too look forward to hearing about your floor solution. :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back