Spare Wheel?

The ZS EV manual shows jacking points for use with a scissor jack like on regular vehicles, I assume there is a jack in the toolkit. No reason not to expect the same with the MG4?
ZS is an ICE vehicle as well, so probably standard chassis. Would be interesting to.see if the scissor jack actually lifted it! As the MG4 is EV only, they may have removed it. Lots of cars come with the repair kit and no jack, so why bother adding jack points

It's semantics. Cars have to be lifted as you say. But can it be done from a single point from a seam with a notch for a scissor jack for a non-expert user to do by the side of the road? Or is it intended for a trained user with professional equipment in a workshop?
The car will have jacking points that can be used alone, yes. Any competent person with the right jack and pad will be able to lift it, anywhere that is safe to do so. It's a car, not a rocket booster! ;)

The ZS EV manual shows jacking points for use with a scissor jack like on regular vehicles, I assume there is a jack in the toolkit. No reason not to expect the same with the MG4?
I doubt there will be any toolkit at all. The current trend is to assume everyone is a helpless fool and to call out a recovery service.

If you're competent to change a wheel, prefer to be old school and back on your way in 15 minutes after a puncture, like in the good old days, you'll be able to source a suitable space saver wheel, jack and tools from a third party supplier with just a little research.

ZS is an ICE vehicle as well, so probably standard chassis. Would be interesting to.see if the scissor jack actually lifted it! As the MG4 is EV only, they may have removed it. Lots of cars come with the repair kit and no jack, so why bother adding jack points
All cars have lifting/jacking points, or it would be impossible for anyone to lift one without damage in the event of the myriad of reasons that it may need lifting after something has occurred!

Maybe in these days of hitch-mounted bike racks, someone should market a hitch-mounted "Continental kit" for safely mounting a spare wheel to the rear of the car?

a-1957-ford-fairlane-500-with-rear-continental-kit-E8RMME.jpg

I would suggest that anyone carrying a space saver should find a way to anchor or bolt it to the car boot floor so that it does not go flying when you brake.
In a wheel bag velcro'd to the carpet, and laid flat up against the rear seat is the norm. It won't move at all, even under really heavy braking.

You do raise a very valid point though, as in the event of a severe accident involving roll over/flipping, you wouldn't want a wheel, or toolkit bag flying around the cabin! Thinking about this, I might re-visit my own spare kept in the boot of my Model S.

Full pages.

Attachments

• 00E4EDFF-B6D6-429B-A5DB-8A26BA8B093E.jpeg
    00E4EDFF-B6D6-429B-A5DB-8A26BA8B093E.jpeg
    356.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 531AB176-27A9-40EC-9735-22B9BBC95476.jpeg
    531AB176-27A9-40EC-9735-22B9BBC95476.jpeg
    428.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 91645B49-FD46-405C-A604-E453ECE7B66E.jpeg
    91645B49-FD46-405C-A604-E453ECE7B66E.jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 151
Thanks BugEyed for that I believe either you or someone else said that a mk5 golf has this stud pattern if this is correct there are plenty of these space saver wheels on Ebay they are 16" but that is possibly good enough to get you home. Please tell me If I am wrong as I am thinking of investing in one. Cheers. Dave.

Thanks BugEyed for that I believe either you or someone else said that a mk5 golf has this stud pattern if this is correct there are plenty of these space saver wheels on Ebay they are 16" but that is possibly good enough to get you home. Please tell me If I am wrong as I am thinking of investing in one. Cheers. Dave.
You could put a higher profile tyre on it so the outside circumference is nearly the same

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back