• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Speed Limit Sign Recognition

Deep purple

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Took delivery this week and so far delighted but finding out the quirks.
The speed limit sign recognition system mostly works but is not so good on country lanes with trees/branches in the way.
However whilst it picks up 30, 40, 50, 60 and derestricted signs it has so far failed to recognise 20 sign despite passing a lot of very clear ones.
Has anyone else had this happen?

It doesn't work on 20s, reads signs of the backs of lorries and whines if you exceed 60 in a dual carriageway or motorway.

My favourites so far are reading a half fallen over roadworks sign as 124mph limit and every morning end of hgv restrictions as national speed limit in a 30.

Im glad the government is holding back on the mandatory speed limiters as quite honestly the roadside signage useless, it would be causing all sorts of chaos people stuck at 30 in a 60 or 70 because the cars not picked up a sigh.

Just a thought. If you activate the sat nav that also gives speed limits and does not always agree with the recognition camera. This is understandable with temporary limits - but other times - who do you believe? Always best to relay on the mark one eye ball!

Just a thought. If you activate the sat nav that also gives speed limits and does not always agree with the recognition camera. This is understandable with temporary limits - but other times - who do you believe? Always best to relay on the mark one eye ball!
Well since the camera is 'live' and sees what your eyes see (including sometimes signs that are not on your road), and the satnav is an old data file, I would lean towards the camera. :)

I note that they haven't developed the technology to recognise street lights when one is within an unsigned 30mph zone!:rolleyes:

Currently there is an intention for the EU to change the use of these systems to being mandatory (rather than optional), meaning that it will default to the slowest of the read signs, Sat Nav data and the human input. The responsibility to get it right will remain with the driver who will still be able to override the car.
To my mind the systems are currently not good enough, but I don't have a vote as following BREXIT we lost influence but seem to follow the EU. Near to me there is a trunk road where there was a fatality when an HGV left the road on a bend five years ago. A local anti-car Councillor campaigned for a 30 MPH speed limit (its currently de-restrict ed) despite the fact that speed was not a factor in the accident and Sat Nav still wrongly reports the limit as 30 MPH despite me getting Highways England to confirm the correct limit to them. It's only a minor inconvenience to me as I ignore the warning and just accept that others are likely to slow down for a mile or so adding the odd minute to my journey, but may become more common.

Mine does not seem to register 20mphs either - (edit* it flashed up as a 70 the other day!). Being a work car, we have Telenavs fitted and get speed reports to our managers for speeding, heavy braking/accelerating and idling etc (though not all for this vehicle being electric) So I use the speed limiter frequently as you can imagine.

The ability for it to read signs is paramount, especially in those pesky 20 mphs!

I find sometimes my car when it hasn't read a sign recently it defaults to the [---] symbol and then flashes up a warning of 'Fault with the speed recognition system, please consult the manual' regularly. I am not sure if this is just the default go to if it does not read the signs. Does anyone else get that warning or is it a fault with mine for some reason?
Cheers Don.

Last edited:
I find sometimes my car when it hasn't read a sign recently it defaults to the [---] symbol and then flashes up a warning of 'Fault with the speed recognition system, please consult the manual' regularly. I am not sure if this is just the default go to if it does not read the signs. Does anyone else get that warning or is it a fault with mine for some reason?

I get that too, usually (possibly always) when Google Maps shows no speed limit listed for the section of the road that I am on. I'm unsure whether this is that it thinks that I'm not on the road due to GPS issues or whether the section of the road genuinely doesn't have a speed limit recorded.
Next time it happens I'll check on OpenStreetMap to see what the listed speed limit is.

Is there any way to remove the speed limit display? It doesn't tell me anything I don't already know and it's often flashing, which is annoying - detracting from safety rather than adding to it.

Also, is there any way to permanently turn off the lane-keeping warnings? I know how to do it every time I drive the car, but I'd like to tell it once and have it remember! On narrow country roads it's annoying to have load shrieking every few minutes.

Is there any way to remove the speed limit display? It doesn't tell me anything I don't already know and it's often flashing, which is annoying - detracting from safety rather than adding to it.

Also, is there any way to permanently turn off the lane-keeping warnings? I know how to do it every time I drive the car, but I'd like to tell it once and have it remember! On narrow country roads it's annoying to have load shrieking every few minutes.
Turn off lane keeping permanently in the infotainment menus, or if you leave it on just press the button on the end of the indicator stalk to toggle off/on.

P.S. you don't notice the flashing speed limit display if your eyes are on the road. :D

After turning off the speed limit warning, after a few days it turns its self back on again! Is this the same for everyone? Or is it a trip back to the dealers for me to get it fixed?

After turning off the speed limit warning, after a few days it turns its self back on again!
I don't even know of a way to turn off the speed limit display. Are we talking about the same thing? It's a white circle just above and to the left of the digital speed display that contains the supposed current speed limit and flashes annoyingly if you're going above that limit.

I don't even know of a way to turn off the speed limit display. Are we talking about the same thing? It's a white circle just above and to the left of the digital speed display that contains the supposed current speed limit and flashes annoyingly if you're going above that limit.
As @Gomev said above, press the button on the end of the stalk.

That turns off the lane keeping, not the speed limit display?
Sorry, I was having a senior moment, it's press and hold the "OK" button on the steering wheel.
Hide Reaction GIF by flor

When did you get your MG5? I got mine in December and it definitely doesn't read 20's...I live near Edinburgh and almost all the roads around here are 20's and it doesn't see any of them.
this year, at the end of our road there is a school with a twenty mph sign, as soon as you get to it a yellow triangular warning comes up

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom