I made my peace by the "towing function on". Lost LKA, EBA, ACC, TJA. They are useless anyway. The reversing radar a bit of bummer to not have it, but you know what, it's still quite a nice car to drive now. Just like good ol' days.

I'm pretty keen on the reversing radar. I've never had anything like that on a car before and I'm using it a lot. Not least, to tell me when I'm in the garage with enough space behind the car to walk past to get to the granny lead. I wouldn't like to lose it.

I just turn off the LKA before I start and try to like it. Maybe if I'd had an issue with the EBA I'd feel differently, but I haven't. I wonder if something needs recalibrating in cars that had that problem?

I'm pretty keen on the reversing radar. I've never had anything like that on a car before and I'm using it a lot. Not least, to tell me when I'm in the garage with enough space behind the car to walk past to get to the granny lead. I wouldn't like to lose it.

I just turn off the LKA before I start and try to like it. Maybe if I'd had an issue with the EBA I'd feel differently, but I haven't. I wonder if something needs recalibrating in cars that had that problem?
I doubt it's a calibration issue. Too many thing works oddly, so this is rather the result of early 2000's "Chinese ingenuity", remarks rushed market appearance, before they truly tested the product. I still have the reversing camera, so the radar isn't an issue. I think I'll stick with this, and stop complaining until MG came out with a fix to these bugs. Really nothing else out there to my taste to replace it...

I'm with you on the no acceptable alternative part!

I'm just curious why your car seems to be behaving worse than mine, when they are essentially the same model. Or is your main gripe the LKA? Because it is mine.

Well, LKA is one of the issues I have, but that is the most predictable. It's s*%# all the time. EBA is different, in the sense of random occurrence. ACC and TJA is fine on a straight highway/motorway, however we don't have many around here. Using in traffic... I understand now why people leaving 2-3 car gap between the vehicle front of them, and roll behind them with very "cautiously", which is really annoys me (the traffic jams here is not even close to big cities in Europe, and a bit of attention could dissolve it completely, but not with "features" like the TJA in my MG). The rest of the electronics is the same. The worst part is, when I asked my dealer about the heating, for example, he said "oh that is the way how it should work" (it cannot maintain any set temperature when heating function is involved, overshoots, then turn the AC on to cool it back). So I concluded I have to sort it out myself... they will do nothing anything about it.
Yes, I might have too high expectation, but I would appreciate functional features. When I decided to switch to EV (this is my first one, as you might can tell), I prepared myself to compromise on range, travel planning, travel time etc., which is fine and I can deal with these. But to be fair, I expected all, I'd call usual features work as they should, and as they worked 10 years ago when first appeared in mass production (OK some of them 5 years ago).

I'm just as new as you are I think. I also hate the LKA and turn it off. But I don't have any issue with the emergency braking, and my heating is absolutely fine. I have heard others complain about your issue though. Does your car have a heat pump?

My feeling is that if other/most cars do not have your problem, you have a fixable issue that your dealer needs to take seriously.

My biggest gripe (after the undertray) appears to have been fixed with the new R33 software update, so things are getting better.

Scrolling through on the list of topics, I think I'm far from alone, and yes I have contacted with my dealer on the "official way" now, waiting for their response. It doesn't change the fact, the software part of the car feels "unfinished", and I hope from my heart, the part of the software what we, users can't see, works better than the surface shows.

You are most certainly not alone, but I think you are in a minority as regards the heating and the AEB.

You're dead right about the software I think. However this is the first car I have had that has had software anything like this sophisticated, so I don't have much of a benchmark for knowing how it's supposed to behave. I hear of a lot of other makes attracting similar complaints. One of our most vociferous complainers is apparently now complaining about his new car on its forum!

Most of my complaints are secondary issues - the USB player, the auto-locking not being able to be cancelled, the radio not staying off, and the stupid things like the temperatures on the HVAC screen being 5 degrees out and the colour of the SoC indicators not changing as it should. And the Sport/Snow thing. None of those affect the way the car drives.

It's also an absolute nonsense that they're still supplying cars with warped undertrays, and although some people claim to have a fix for the problem of the car not pre-heating if it's plugged in and not charging, nobody quite knows what that is.

But these things are common across all cars. The AEB and the unreliable heating aren't.

A number of posts that got on to the subject of the heating have been split to a separate thread.

Driving out of a Morrison's supermarket at the weekend my MG4 suddenly decided to [for the want of a better phrase] emergency brake. This happened once before in the new year, but I out it down to a one off. Fortunately there was no one behind me, but it did give my passenger and I quite a shock. It was at an exit point with a street bollard nearby. I wonder if somehow the cars system my have mistook the bollard for a pedestrian, and if anyone else has had this problem/reported to a dealer? Once I've had feedback I can then discuss with my dealer. I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone else who have had this happen to them.
Only just found this site, because it happened twice in my mg4, the ladt time yesterday. Lucky no one behind me. Dangerous. Also, I know if happens when my wife is driving, she will probably refuse to drive it again. I dont blame her

I made my peace by the "towing function on". Lost LKA, EBA, ACC, TJA. They are useless anyway. The reversing radar a bit of bummer to not have it, but you know what, it's still quite a nice car to drive now. Just like good ol' days.
Same as me. I just wish MG would improve this software. LKA shouldn't activate unless there are clear markings on the road.

My car is currently in for its first service, and there are a couple of "recalls" (service updates) to be applied. I'll update once I know what they are (or at least what modules were updated) - maybe the AEB is being refined.

My car is currently in for its first service, and there are a couple of "recalls" (service updates) to be applied. I'll update once I know what they are (or at least what modules were updated) - maybe the AEB is being refined.
You don't know what these updates are about?

Not yet - I'm waiting for a copy of the job sheet that the service technician used. (Usually the detail is printed on the invoice, but it wasn't this time).

I have read a lot about this on this forum, but today it finally happened. Clean car, nice weather, and the car finally decided it wanted me dead. The guy behind me was pissed off, and now I trust this car even less. What did you guys do in these situations? Are there any solution to it trough a software update, do you keep driving it, hoping it won't kill you next time it happens?

I think this forum describes a lot of issues, but not a lot of dealer solutions.

Last edited:
I turn it off every journey, along with the LKA.

Yeah that's a lot of work. I don't believe no one would buy a car expecting to turn off both emergency breaking and LKA without shortcuts every damn time. Imagine using this car as a taxi. Holy crap, that's a lot of turning off.

Was the sun out and low in your face? Maybe the sensors saw "something" caused by light reflections. 🤷‍♂️

Have you set AEB sensitivity to Low? (That's what I've done).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back