I'm pretty sure mine remains at Low.

Note: I'm not talking about turning it Off, just about setting the Sensitivity.

I have read a lot about this on this forum, but today it finally happened. Clean car, nice weather, and the car finally decided it wanted me dead. The guy behind me was pissed off, and now I trust this car even less. What did you guys do in these situations? Are there any solution to it trough a software update, do you keep driving it, hoping it won't kill you next time it happens?

I think this forum describes a lot of issues, but not a lot of dealer solutions.
So what did your car "think" it was avoiding?
Mines done it twice in 3 months, but both times it "thought" I was about to hit something parked/unloading, on my left hand side.

Mine is set to low and activated today at 25mph as I moved to the other side of the road to go past a parked car on the left. There was a parked car about 50m away on the the right hand side so I assume it thought it was incoming. I too wish it was off by default and I will be bringing this up at the service if not before then because every time it's activated it's been an unambiguous false alarm and has caused annoyances to other road users. It just doesn't feel like a system that has been calibrated for UK/European narrow roads in built up areas.

Not being contentious, just curious; do you think an insurance company would pull a face knowing that two safety features have been deactivated?
There's nothing in the smallprint of my policy which says I have to keep the default settings. It's not like I'm using an engineering menu or pulling a circuit breaker, and quite frankly those features in their current state render the car more likely to be in an accident. Arguing that changing settings easily accessibly in the menus would affect the insurance would also rule out the use of sport mode or anything other than the default view from the 360 camera.

I'm pretty sure that mine used to stay on low sensitivity but now it defaults/resets to medium every time I start the car. Not that I've had it slam the brakes on yet.

Well here’s my opinion not in any vehicle should anything that might affect the actions of that vehicle on the road default to On.

You are the driver and you should decide what is right or wrong for your journey, when a vehicle brakes suddenly and unexpectedly that might, cause an accident in some circumstances.
Or the steering on the vehicle decides it is going to turn the vehicle left or right and might run you into an oncoming vehicle or a lamp post, it will be you the driver that will be standing in the dock or by the grave side, not the software that might have cause it and not the person who designed it.
Not the NCAP people who demanded it. To ✅ some box.
No it’s you.
The driver should have total control of the vehicle they are driving at all times from the start to the Finnish of there journey and it is the driver only that is responsible for the action of the vehicle they are driving.

DEFAULTS don’t count.
Les
Totally agree here. My mg4 is getting picked up tomorrow and taken back to the dealers. If its not trying to steer me into on coming traffic its emergency braking for no reason. Its new name is Christine 😬🤔

Drove the wife's Aygo X today with her as passenger. She s**t herself and shouted at me for breaking her car. It stamped on the brake when I tried to negotiate parked vehicles on both sides of the road which I would have been able to drive through in my 4 with no issue. So it's not just MG or even EV's that do inappropriate automatic braking . Also the LKA is just as annoying as my 4 . Made me realise how nice the 4 is.👍

35 years a driving instructor here so I've driven a lot of cars.
I'm first at the lights when lights go green. No oncoming traffic so I move half way around the corner and BANG.
Car slams on brakes for no reason. Take my advice guys turn the emergency collision off. I was lucky there was not a car around. Love the MG4.

I'm first at the lights when lights go green. No oncoming traffic so I move half way around the corner and BANG.
Car slams on brakes for no reason. Take my advice guys turn the emergency collision off. I was lucky there was not a car around. Love the MG4.
You didn't say if you were turning left or right. With your experience and a little hindsight can you think of anything which could have upset the camera/radar, sun shining on wet white lines for example, or as the car was going around the corner the camera was sweeping at a relative faster pace? This forum could use any useful info.

And yet many people never experience this. I wonder if it's some sort of setting issue, maybe a camera that needs aligning?

To be honest I would prefer my 50 years driving experience over a software program that no manufacturer in the industry has mastered. Remember people have been killed in the USA with rear end hits only a matter before it happens here.
Trust your judgement until the technology can prove it's better than you.

I was turning right and the only vehicle on the entire junction. If it was a camera or radar problem then at the moment it's not fit to be enabled.

Unfortunately Governments believe that technology hardware and software will overcome all without subjecting it to real life conditions, in order to appear to be 'doing something'. The example being ICE car emissions. Manufacturers seek ways to side-step regulations whilst appearing to meet them. Until independent real life testing is used combined with published User feedback, the status-quo will continue.

I was turning right and the only vehicle on the entire junction. If it was a camera or radar problem then at the moment it's not fit to be enabled.
I can only say again what i wrote at #20 & #22 on this subject and this should not be happening In any car and I agree with Spoton it’s only a matter of time before it kills someone but I sure hope I’m wrong on that.
Les

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel