Tesla Model Y v MG4 Trophy

Then there's the whole question of Chinese EV's being subsidised by the state 🤷‍♂️

Quote from Reuters :-

"BRUSSELS, Sept 13 (Reuters) - The European Commission launched an investigation on Wednesday into whether to impose punitive tariffs to protect European Union producers against cheaper Chinese electric vehicle (EV) imports it says are benefiting from state subsidies.

"Global markets are now flooded with cheaper electric cars. And their price is kept artificially low by huge state subsidies," European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said in her annual address to the bloc's parliament, seen by many in Brussels as a pitch for her re-appointment for a second term."

Last year I looked at a Tesla but bought the MG4 ev demo car. But since then the Tesla price drop brought it back to my attension. Also stock is more available etc.
MG4 £32k Model Y £44k

Im pleased I had an hours test drive. Because it reminded me how good the MG4 is and what great value for money they are.
Most surprising was the seat base felt too narrow and uncomfortable, the ride was very crashy off the main roads.
The self drive was equally as average as the MG. The range much the same. Rear view was terrible.
Also seems like Tesla owners moan equally as much as MG4 owners do on here!!!

However the glass roof, display, sound quality and charging network is fantastic......but not worth the extra£12k.

Lastly.....the insurance.....OMG! A Tesla is Ferrari insurance group. My fleet policy provider really advised me strongly to avoid the Tesla as they cannot often be repaired in a crash and must be repaired by Tesla only.

Makes me thing the MG4 might not be the best looking car ive owned but it certainly is great value.....and Im keeping it.

So secretly I love my cheap chinese car........and the dealers pretty decent too. Always worth looking at the competition to remind you of whats good about what youve already got.
I did the very same thing just before Christmas, apart from the fact I had the Model Y for 24 hours, I still came to the same conclusion. It made me realise how good the MG4 is. This was my summary of the Model Y:

Positives
  • Better than expected ride quality on 19-inch wheels. Bigger wheels may reduce ride quality
  • Decent build quality
  • Minimalistic interior if that's your thing
  • Comfortable with tons of space

Negatives
  • Controls are almost exclusively on infotainment display. Creates a distraction and not necessarily intuitive
  • Little to no steering feel
  • Not engaging to drive - feels like you're driving a very fast barge/oil tanker
  • Door handles are awkward but better than my previous Model 3 experience
  • Very noisy in the cabin when Ultra Rapid charging
  • Disappointing charge speed of 114kW at 31% SOC using the Reading West V4 Superchargers, but it might not have been the car.
  • Moon roof is fixed and cannot be opened
  • Tesla do not provide efficiency readings in miles per kWh, which is the UK standard. Only provides watts per mile, which requires mental maths to assess efficiency. Weird since all the data is there.

,,,,,another good point......thanks.

I read that Tesla is switching the build of the Model Y to China this year, but more noticeable is a suggestion they are going to use BYD battery packs. So I would expect there to be a price reduction in Europe if they are not having to ship components twice around the world.

What I do struggle with is the pricing for the UK. China sells EV's for £10k that we pay over double for. Thats got to change if they want the UK to buy more EV's.
The Tesla Model Y for the UK market is already built in China. The Model Y I recently tested for 24 hours had a noticeably better build quality than a long term loan Model 3 I had a few years ago.

Then there's the whole question of Chinese EV's being subsidised by the state 🤷‍♂️

Quote from Reuters :-

"BRUSSELS, Sept 13 (Reuters) - The European Commission launched an investigation on Wednesday into whether to impose punitive tariffs to protect European Union producers against cheaper Chinese electric vehicle (EV) imports it says are benefiting from state subsidies.

"Global markets are now flooded with cheaper electric cars. And their price is kept artificially low by huge state subsidies," European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said in her annual address to the bloc's parliament, seen by many in Brussels as a pitch for her re-appointment for a second term."
It's a bit like the 'subsidies' the UK Government/British tax payer has given to Nissan to continue building cars in Sunderland. In my opinion, a 'subsidy' is typically awarded based on a commercial decision which may or may not have political consequences.

Software is Tesla's strong point. I wonder how that will compare?
I agree that Tesla software is very good, and it needs to be since it controls virtually anything and everything, including changing the windscreen wiper settings. But some will prefer having Android Auto/Apple Car Play as their software of choice, which Tesla does not offer.

I agree that Tesla software is very good, and it needs to be since it controls virtually anything and everything, including changing the windscreen wiper settings. But some will prefer having Android Auto/Apple Car Play as their software of choice, which Tesla does not offer.
Absolutely - and with Tesla if you want buttons for controls, a screen in front of the driver, now indicator stalks and a host of other things we take for granted (like a glovebox button), you are clean out of luck. With Tesla you get what they want you to have and it is dictated mainly by reducing their costs, not making your life better.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 85 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back