Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

does it need a service

Yes, if you want to retain your free AA cover, not to mention the checks that they do on tyres, brakes, battery condition etc.
Oh and can it in fact have the Tesla/VCCU? update?

The general opinion and experience of other owners of the SR variant here seems to be, No, sorry!

So today Harrogate flower show to keep the little lady happy so didn’t need to but as I was passing a Tesla supercharger site open to all about 2-3 miles away from the show site on the road. I pulled in, plugged in for a few minutes to to confirm for what is now the 5th-6th time that my MG5 FL is working with Tesla superchargers after its update by Chorley MG, and it does.
The difference this can make on a longer trip with a bit of planning will be both time and cost saving as well as more of them are to be opened up to all.
Les

Last edited by a moderator:
This weekend I used Cambridge, stoke on Trent, flint and Kettering all worked flawlessly with the exception of Kettering as they are type 4 and require you to click charge now BEFORE plugging in whereas type 3 you can plug in then press charge now.
Cambridge 34p per kWh, stoke 29p, flint 32p and Kettering 43p. (With £8.99 membership.)

So much cheaper than either zapmap or octoverse.

This weekend I used Cambridge, stoke on Trent, flint and Kettering all worked flawlessly with the exception of Kettering as they are type 4 and require you to click charge now BEFORE plugging in whereas type 3 you can plug in then press charge now.
Cambridge 34p per kWh, stoke 29p, flint 32p and Kettering 43p. (With 8.99 membership)

So much cheaper than either zapmap or octoverse.
Brilliant thanks for you post, but which car have you 5 LR but FL or not.
Les

Les
As mentioned in my earlier post I have a late 2021 5LR Excite. Purchased in January 2024 with 14k on clock now hit 23k and car is pretty faultless...

Mine is non facelift but does have the updated systems for MG Pilot

Attachments

• IMG_20240409_102308001_HDR_AE.jpg
    IMG_20240409_102308001_HDR_AE.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 32
Had my late 71 plate MG5 LR pre FL serviced at Hendy's in Crawley a couple of weeks ago and they politely but flatly refused to install the update saying it wasn't scheduled for my VIN number.

I have my pre-facelift LR booked in at Luscombe's in Leeds for the update.
Whilst booking in, the service guy (James), said that my car wasn't on the list for the update but still booked it in.
There was no issue with requesting it and James was fully aware of the update.
Fingers crossed for when it goes in early May for the update. 🤞

Hi Gomev - when does your car go in? I've just noticed that the supercharger at the Tesla Service centre over the road from Luscombe's is open to all now - a quick pit stop to check if the update has worked!

Les
Hi Les ,
How very peculiar, in my driving about today I went in to Maklin Motors at Newbridge, Edinburgh.
I asked if they could update my MG5 PFL.
They said yes no problem but would have to charge half an hour’s labour at £81.
Since that is TEN times less than my supplying garage Fraser’s of Falkirk. I’ve gone ahead and booked it.
Downside is that thirty minutes can’t be booked in until July but hey ho at least they can do it.

Hi Les ,
How very peculiar, in my driving about today I went in to Maklin Motors at Newbridge, Edinburgh.
Since that is TEN times less than my supplying garage Fraser’s of Falkirk. I’ve gone ahead and booked it.
Downside is that thirty minutes can’t be booked in until July but hey ho at least they can do it.
Hi there Archev, that is good news indeed. And at £81 acceptable. I was right I cheesed off yesterday when on the podcast last night Miles informed us that there as been a change of policy by MG in that 2-3 months ago there did say they would reimburse dealers for their costs to allow owners to get their long range vehicles updated to allow the use of Tesla chargers. But if you watched the podcast it is now deemed a chargeable enhancement. Why the change of policy? I don’t know but it has.

The question is if one dealer can do the update for £81 as you have said why can’t they all, as some owners have been quoted hundreds of pounds.

The time you have to wait for a slot does not surprise me to be honest even services now are on a 1-2 months wait if not longer.

But once again thanks for your posting today and hopefully it might give some guide lines for others.
Les

Agree 100%!

Are we to assume, therefore, that, either MG failed to follow that standard on the earliest models, or the standard changed after the release date of those models?
I haven't watched the podcast from last night but did it say who is at fault, the Tesla Supercharger or MG not following the CCS standards?

Hi Les ,
Guess I should check cost of my June appointment at Frasers. Failing that, Arnold Clark is less than a mile away.

Guess I should check cost of my June appointment at Frasers. Failing that, Arnold Clark is less than a mile away.
Aye Frasers say the car needs a new control unit at about £400 and needs the same again in labour.
I asked at Macklin and double checked. The girl checked with the manager and assured me it didn’t.
I fancy the MG4 estate I think - it sounds interesting and if it’s half as good as the five has been - - ??
But I also like the Citroen Berlingo electric - quandary

I tried all 7 Tesla Chargers near Warrenford and none worked. And they werent faulty as 4 of them had cars at them before I tried. I assumed the MG 5 EV just doesnt work with them?

I tried all 7 Tesla Chargers near Warrenford and none worked. And they werent faulty as 4 of them had cars at them before I tried. I assumed the MG 5 EV just doesnt work with them?
Did you check if they are open to non Tesla cars?

Hi Gomev - when does your car go in? I've just noticed that the supercharger at the Tesla Service centre over the road from Luscombe's is open to all now - a quick pit stop to check if the update has worked!
Car goes in next Tuesday, the 7th. Just looked on the Tesla app and bang on the about the Tesla Service centre, that will hopefully save a trip to Harrogate. :) Not showing as open to all on ZapMap yet but who I'm sure it will in time.

Hi there Archev, that is good news indeed. And at £81 acceptable. I was right I cheesed off yesterday when on the podcast last night Miles informed us that there as been a change of policy by MG in that 2-3 months ago there did say they would reimburse dealers for their costs to allow owners to get their long range vehicles updated to allow the use of Tesla chargers. But if you watched the podcast it is now deemed a chargeable enhancement. Why the change of policy? I don’t know but it has.
This is very disappointing news indeed, I haven't had a chance to watch the podcast yet. I will let you know what happens next Tuesday. Hopefully because I booked mine in when there was no cost.......... :unsure:

Car goes in next Tuesday, the 7th. Just looked on the Tesla app and bang on the about the Tesla Service centre, that will hopefully save a trip to Harrogate. :) Not showing as open to all on ZapMap yet but who I'm sure it will in time.

This is very disappointing news indeed, I haven't had a chance to watch the podcast yet. I will let you know what happens next Tuesday. Hopefully because I booked mine in when there was no cost.......... :unsure:
I’ve always tried to keep up with the podcast. Mostly for the fashion advice with the season’s fabric and colour tips but I’ve increasingly noticed that these folk actually impart lots of valuable information at the same time.

Hi Gomev, yeh you're right disappointing indeed I was gutted as I thought the issue had been addressed weeks ago but it appears MG have a change of policy again. Damned annoying.
I hope you get yours done FOC but just in case they do want I payment Archev above
# 648 as a definite quote of £81so I would have that to hand.

Yes the Leeds Tesla centre is open to all in fact I think most other of the Tesla centres are also.

The ones at Harrogate are in a garden centre 6 of them I used one at the weekend no problems.
Les

Mine is in Bulldog Twyford next week too. I shall soon find out.

Hi Gomev, yeh your right disappointing indeed I was gutted as I thought the issue had been addressed weeks ago but it appears MG have a change of policy again Dam annoying .
I hope you get yours done FOC but just in case they do want I payment Archev above
# 648 as a definite quote of £81so I would have that to hand.

Yes the Leeds Tesla centre is open to all in fact I think most other of the Tesla centres are also.

The ones at Harrogate are in a garden center 6 of them I used one at the weekend on problems.
Les
I'll keep any updates posted. The Tesla centre in Leeds is newly opened for everyone as I was planning a trip to Harrogate to test the update if I get it. Totally useless as a charging site for me under normal circumstances of course but hopefully as a test.

I'll keep any updates posted. The Tesla centre in Leeds is newly opened for everyone as I was planning a trip to Harrogate to test the update if I get it. Totally useless as a charging site for me under normal circumstances of course but hopefully as a test.
Be great if you could. Yet again poor form from MG/SAIC. At the very least it should be a service update item given they should be doing updates during a service anyway. I wouldn't get enough value for a paid update but it is unfair for owners to be deprived of the reasonably priced charging options by not being compatible with some chargers. Wonder if they will fail to keep up with other charging technology and expect owners to cough up..

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom