Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

Hi again everyone here so long trip down to London today for the show tomorrow so great time to try some V4 TESLA SUPERCHARGERS with my MG5 trophy.

You may have read in my post above #546 that I tried a Tesla V3 charger last week at the Trafford centre after my software updates and that worked fine plugged in opened the Tesla App and started a charge with no problems.

I said I would try out the newer Tesla V4 units and I did that today but hit a problem at first, so 16 Tesla V4 units near to Luton Airport just off the M1 so I arrived there with only 11% left in the battery having left home on 100% and driving M6 and M1 in terrible conditions 5 degrees temps most of the way with a headwind and driving rain so having now done 175 miles I arrived quite low state of charge much lower than I like to be but wanted to try these Tesla V4 units.

So first of all none of them where fitted with card readers. My son, a Tesla owner and driver, says many are like that. So back to the Tesla App open that up choose the number of the charger and it said plug in and press start charge this I did and the app said charging will start in around 2 minutes but it didn’t !

So I moved to a different stall did the same and after waiting 5 minutes still nothing, so put my thinking cap on and leaving the car plugged in I got back into the car and switched it on put it into ready mode then went in to the infotainment screen for the charge settings pressed start charging and it did less than a minute later.

So it does work I will try some more next week on my return journey home
Les

View attachment 25163View attachment 25164View attachment 25165
Great to hear and a good tip.

I am at the Everything Electric show today as well :)
My tube and train ride will probably cost me £8.50 to ~7 miles so I think your trip was better value lol

Right, I have just had my MG5 FL in for the door latches on the passenger side to be replaced.

I had contacted them in advance with info from this forum about the Tesla issue and asking for the specific EVCC update.

Anyway after the usual ‘you can only charge Teslas at Tesla chargers’ and ´you know you have to use the app’ conversations at the desk, the service manager has sent the following email after a series of others: (needless to say door latches now working… Tesla charging not so much)…

´Good Afternoon

MG have come back to me and at the moment there is no repair / fix for this currently.

They are working on liaising with Tesla to come up with a software fix which could be different to that available on the continent.

They will release a TSB (technical service bulletin) for this rather than a recall, so I would ask if you contact the service team in a month or so to see if this is available.

Unfortunately as it is not a recall MG will not write to customers in relation to this future update

Kind Regards’

Anyone heard this particular nonsense?
(And this was after I had specifically pointed out the fix that others here have managed to have successfully applied…)
Someone is lying to you. My guess would be that MG customer service just sent out an old email, that almost certainly wasn't true 6 months ago when they sent me the same message. It definitely isn't true now. I had mine done in January when I had my 1st service done. I probably would have had to pay for it but the car was already in the workshop for the service and I've had a good relationship with the dealer.
Perhaps it might be an idea to contact MG customer service and ask why MG are accidentally or deliberately sending false information to dealers.

Someone is lying to you.

Hear, hear!

I have the pre-facelift 5 so my situation may be different to yours but I had to call in to my dealer earlier today with a rather alarming ticking/grating noise coming from one of the front wheels. Turns out it was a loose cap on the axle (I think, if understood correctly!) but whilst it was in the workshop the technician also carried out the software update to (at least theoretically) allow charging on the Tesla Super-chargers. I am yet to ascertain if it works, and am unlikely to be able to do so for some weeks.

Some additional background: the car went in for its second service only last week and I had asked quite specifically about this update. The dealer has no detailed information from MG about this but the service technician was due to speak directly to MG Technical the next day. The upshot of this was that MG said, Yes, there is a software update for this but it is not guaranteed to work and must be at the customer's own risk! Given that there seems to be a general concensus that Super Chargers are likely to become the predominant type over the next few years and that I had no wish to be faced, in the not too distant future, with the possibility of not being able to charge whilst away from home I decided to go ahead and booked the car in for this update, initially scheduled for April 19th.

But they did it today "whilst we had your car in the workshop"! Excellent service and free! (I do have a very long history with the particular dealership going back over something like 30 years so am treated as a highly valued customer.) Highly regrettably (as reported elsewhere in the forum), the dealership is closing at the end of May and their premises are up for sale. 😭 😭 😭

Right, I have just had my MG5 FL in for the door latches on the passenger side to be replaced.

I had contacted them in advance with info from this forum about the Tesla issue and asking for the specific EVCC update.

Anyway after the usual ‘you can only charge Teslas at Tesla chargers’ and ´you know you have to use the app’ conversations at the desk, the service manager has sent the following email after a series of others: (needless to say door latches now working… Tesla charging not so much)…

´Good Afternoon

MG have come back to me and at the moment there is no repair / fix for this currently.

They are working on liaising with Tesla to come up with a software fix which could be different to that available on the continent.

They will release a TSB (technical service bulletin) for this rather than a recall, so I would ask if you contact the service team in a month or so to see if this is available.

Unfortunately as it is not a recall MG will not write to customers in relation to this future update

Kind Regards’

Anyone heard this particular nonsense?
(And this was after I had specifically pointed out the fix that others here have managed to have successfully applied…)
Hi you are being fobbed off there is an update available no idea who your dealer is as you have not said but you can go to any MG dealer so I suggest you have a ring around and find one that are able to do it for you also #472 and other post here tell you the updates have been done free of charge at several dealers here but your dealer is in effect telling you a load or rubbish.
Les

Last edited by a moderator:
My car had its second year service today and I had specifically requested for the EVCC software to be updated. However the service department informed me that when they contacted MG to help with the update they were told it only applied to facelift models. When I told them this was incorrect they said the only way my car could be made compatible would be to replace the EVCC module itself at a cost of £498!

It seems ridiculous in this day and age that MG UK are giving incorrect information to some dealers but not others.

I wrote an email to MG customer services asking about this problem, why they don’t do over the air updates and why for some reason some dealerships do not know it is a problem, or a fixable one at that. Additionally Tesla chargers are being installed at a pace, and other brands are relabelling Tesla chargers so the problem is going to get worse their response was:

“Thank you for contacting MG Motor UK Ltd. and whilst I do appreciate your frustration regarding this matter, Tesla have only opened 8 charge points nationally that are permanently available to the open network. Others are opened and closed at regular intervals, therefore it is difficult to predict what will or will not be available to you when you arrive. This typically affects the mark 1 MG5”

1. It is clear what chargers are and not available. Just so happens I have a few nearby to try out, and yes all accept everyone.
2. On each visit there were a few Teslas but more other vehicles.
3. Actually saw an Mg4 charge, whilst I was trying to give it a go
4. All those on this post who have had their MG updated don’t seem to have the problem any more

“I appreciate that this is frustrating, and although it is common to blame MG software as a standard practice, Tesla do this deliberately, due to grid restrictions and reserving service to their own products.”

5. Tesla did block MGs but that is not the case anymore, providing their software has been updated.

It’s a shame as their response was… very blame culture, and did not actually provide any positives, also makes me sound like I’m making it up?

Very odd.

My car had its second year service today and I had specifically requested for the EVCC software to be updated. However the service department informed me that when they contacted MG to help with the update they were told it only applied to facelift models. When I told them this was incorrect they said the only way my car could be made compatible would be to replace the EVCC module itself at a cost of £498!

It seems ridiculous in this day and age that MG UK are giving incorrect information to some dealers but not others.
There is a video on YouTube of a gentleman charging up his MG pre face lift 5, whilst his mate also charges his ID3 electric car. So it should be possible.

I wrote an email to MG customer services asking about this problem, why they don’t do over the air updates and why for some reason some dealerships do not know it is a problem, or a fixable one at that. Additionally Tesla chargers are being installed at a pace, and other brands are relabelling Tesla chargers so the problem is going to get worse their response was:

“Thank you for contacting MG Motor UK Ltd. and whilst I do appreciate your frustration regarding this matter, Tesla have only opened 8 charge points nationally that are permanently available to the open network. Others are opened and closed at regular intervals, therefore it is difficult to predict what will or will not be available to you when you arrive. This typically affects the mark 1 MG5”

1. It is clear what chargers are and not available. Just so happens I have a few nearby to try out, and yes all accept everyone.
4. All those on this post who have had their MG updated don’t seem to have the problem any more

“I appreciate that this is frustrating, and although it is common to blame MG software as a standard practice, Tesla do this deliberately, due to grid restrictions and reserving service to their own products.”

5. Tesla did block MGs but that is not the case anymore, providing their software has been updated.

It’s a shame as their response was… very blame culture, and did not actually provide any positives, also makes me sound like I’m making it up?

Very odd.
It makes me very angry at MG, that reply you had because a Quick Look on Teslas open charging to all App so now over 30 so how they can quote there is only 8 is beyond me.
Les

Last edited:

Very odd.
I’ve got a horrible sense of going backwards here when I see this (similar to the conversations I had at a dealership last week).

It seemed as though with Miles’ information and communication with MG technical we were getting somewhere.. and then you get this spewing up of lies, misunderstandings and distractions.

It seems to me MG are a way away from accepting this is an issue, let alone sorting it.

it looks as though I am going to have to try my luck with another dealership in the southeast, so very grateful for any positive experiences of getting the update needed applied.

We are in Kent.
Ashford caffyns a definite fail.

Anyone have any experience with Maidstone?
Or an Essex option?
o

EMG in Ipswich have the right attitude. They solved my Forward camera issue that came as a result of my Supercharger upgrade - It took 3 visits though but that was down to the 'process' that the MG collective imposes on everyone drawn into the web...

Mine is going in to Chiswick MG tomorrow so let’s see how I fair. To be honest they have been a great dealership so far. I purchased my car off them just under 1.5 years ago.

Only you can tell if the update is worth it. It was never going to work on my SR and I never found myself disadvantaged in the slightest.

Today, I have just done my first long trip in my Trophy. I had insisted on the update when I bought the car, not because I needed it but because it was there! Other than a brief test to make sure it worked, that was it.

Today was a trip I do 3/4 times a year to south Wales from Essex. I followed my usual pattern; comfort break and food at Reading Services and a short top-up at Gridserve, the non stop to Wales, with another short stop and top up in the Newport area. This time I decided to do the same but with Tesla. Worked perfectly but at half the cost. I only pulled at maximum of 53kW but any quicker would have been inconvenient; it barely gave me enough time as it was. I can now understand why every Tesla was occupied with a driver; I am guessing it is so fast for them they don't have time to go and do anything!

Well done Paul you to have managed a long drive and save some money don’t know if you read my post last week #559 about my longer trip in my FL 5 trophy but I was getting over 70kW charging but slower than expected on a 250kW V4 from a very low state of charge having driven around 180 miles the best I have ever seen was on a 300 kW Fastned charger in Scotland last summer when it was pulling 88kW at one stage but a big saving in cost over many for sure with more to come I believe.
Les

Last edited:
I started from 60% on the first charge, 40% on the second. Only planned to charge to 80% on both occasions, but they were fast (or more likely, I was slow) but left with 86% and 88% respectively. Good job I hadn't set the charge limit to my usual 80% or I might have had idle fees. The weather was cold, I was dealing with a headwind and it was raining, as usual. Like you, in warmer weather on Gridserve and Ionity, I have seen as much as 92%, so might get faster in the summer. I will just have to learn how to eat quicker ...

I started from 60% on the first charge, 40% on the second. Only planned to charge to The weather was cold, I was dealing with a headwind and it was raining, as usual. Like you, in warmer weather on Gridserve and Ionity, I have seen as much as 92%, so might get faster in the summer. I will just have to learn how to eat quicker ...

Well done Paul you to have managed a long drive and save some many don’t know if you read my post last week #559 about my longer trip in my FL 5 trophy but I was getting over 70kW charging but slower than expected on a 250kW V4 from a very low state of charge having driven around 180 miles the best I have ever seen was on a 300 kW Fastned charger in Scotland last summer when it was pulling 88kW at one stage but a big saving in cost over many for sure with more to come I believe.
Les
There is a misconception that long driving (even at motorway speeds) will warm up the battery sufficiently to enable fast DC charge rates.

The theory itself is sound but the MG5 runs the battery coolant constantly trough an external heat exchanger at cell temperatures above 10 deg, the pack is therefore kept more or less at ambient levels.

As manual pe-heating only seems to kick below double digits the only way to condition the battery is what owners on the French forum have figured out: repeated acceleration followed by kers3 regen to keep the amps flowing.
Or wait for summer…

There is a misconception that long driving (even at motorway speeds) will warm up the battery sufficiently to enable fast DC charge rates.

The theory itself is sound but the MG5 runs the battery coolant constantly trough an external heat exchanger at cell temperatures above 10 deg, the pack is therefore kept more or less at ambient levels.

As manual pe-heating only seems to kick below double digits the only way to condition the battery is what owners on the French forum have figured out: repeated acceleration followed by kers3 regen to keep the amps flowing.
Or wait for summer…
Hi mickey to a degree you're right but the FL trophy and a battery preheat setting and you're right about the state of charge but my car was down at 11% after around 180 miles of motorway driving and the max I saw was around 73% input for a little while when in the past I have seen far higher on both Gridserve and Fastned but maybe it was the weather on the day but I’m not to concerned about it as it cost me a good few pounds less than them too. The main point for me of pushing this issue was to give me every chance of a charge anywhere I might, not speed or money, convenience and reliability is the key.
Les

Last edited:
My car is being checked for updates as I type. The initial response from the dealer is they have not received any formal response from MG on this issue but they expect when the car is connected it should bring up the update and any info from MG.

Slightly off topic but it is nice with the app to be able to check the status of the car, see it is unlocked and has moved from the carpark to the workshop so at least I know it has progressed through the queue to be worked on today.

My car is being checked for updates as I type. The initial response from the dealer is they have not received any formal response from MG on this issue but they expect when the car is connected it should bring up the update and any info from MG.

Slightly off topic but it is nice with the app to be able to check the status of the car, see it is unlocked and has moved from the carpark to the workshop so at least I know it has progressed through the queue to be worked on today.
Hi simorgan I’m not sure you should do that with the App while it’s being updated could cause issues I would think
Les

Hi simorgan I’m not sure you should do that with the App while it’s being updated could cause issues I would think
Les
I wasn't making any changes just refreshing the app to see car status. Hopefully the system is protected enough not to be affected by just looking. ;-) lol but then again who knows with MG.

So update.

Dealer initially said they could get no information from MG on this topic and had not received any comms from them.

They had said they would have to charge me for any updates if nothing came up flagging they could claim the cost from MG.

But when they hooked the car up the system reported 4 updates that were required. (Mentioned earlier in this thread). These were done at no cost to me.

Just did a quick charge at a Tesla charger that had previously failed at. Not rocket speeds but that could be many reasons.

I bought my car from Chiswick MG and have to say they have been very helpful and friendly every time I speak to them. Would recommend them for sure.

Also a bonus to always get the car back cleaner than when I drop it off :)

Attachments

• IMG_5365.png
    IMG_5365.png
    129.2 KB · Views: 17
I’ve got a horrible sense of going backwards here when I see this (similar to the conversations I had at a dealership last week).

It seemed as though with Miles’ information and communication with MG technical we were getting somewhere.. and then you get this spewing up of lies, misunderstandings and distractions.

It seems to me MG are a way away from accepting this is an issue, let alone sorting it.

it looks as though I am going to have to try my luck with another dealership in the southeast, so very grateful for any positive experiences of getting the update needed applied.

We are in Kent.
Ashford caffyns a definite fail.

Anyone have any experience with Maidstone?
Or an Essex option?
o
I use MG Apple, whose servicing is done in Meopham . I had mine done back in January and I think that they would have charged me for the update if I wasn't having the first service done at the same time.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom