Thankyou and Goodnight.

spr97ajm

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I've been lurking here for a few weeks and I just wanted to say what a great site this is, with so many knowledgeable and helpful contributors.
I've been considering the MG4 ever since I test drove one a few months back and loved it. I wanted to do my research and found this site. It's a fantastic car, but sadly, there appear to be just too many 'Beta version' issues with it (the oil leak, and various dealer denials or ignorance of these issues, worry me the most). I know all car launches have these problems, and hopefully the next revision of the car will be better. In the meantime, I'm buying a secondhand but newish Zoe GT Line + with which to test the waters of EV ownership. I know it will have its problems too, but it's a tried and tested platform, and that gives me confidence.
I wish all the best to all of you, and enjoy your MGs!
Andy.

Just a thought, make sure your new (to you) Zoe has the rapid charge CCS option, not all of the 50kwh/mk3? did. Until the MG4 came along it was a Zoe we were stalking as our first EV.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Just a thought, make sure your new (to you) Zoe has the rapid charge CCS option, not all of the 50kwh/mk3? did. Until the MG4 came along it was a Zoe we were stalking as our first EV.

Good luck.
Yes it's got the CCS rapid charging, so it'll give me the option of the occasional longer journey with a reasonably swift charging stop.

also, is it a newish 50kw version from the point of view of the 0 * Ncap rating.

Ok, if you aren't going to transport loved ones, but after seeing those side impact videos, the Zoe was a massive NO for me.

Had looked at the older ones, but concerns about away from home charging - isn't there something that is being removed from new chargers that the older Zoe's use ?

but interested in your thoughts on the Zoe

The Zoë most definitely not one of the alternatives on our list. Too small and lightweight for me to confidently take on motorways and the like, even before the worrying NCAP rating. Strikes me as an about town runaround only (which is fine if that's what you need it for).

We also definitely share the OP's concerns about the 4 as well though.

Was the reduced NCAP rating due to Renault not including proactive items like LKA? I don’t think the actual crash tests were compromised or ineffective were they?

Was the reduced NCAP rating due to Renault not including proactive items like LKA? I don’t think the actual crash tests were compromised or ineffective were they?
they removed the side airbags on the new model, so therefore the side impact tests were literally a car crash.

New Zoe's come with loads of computerised assists, and that's one of the reasons Renault took the air bag out, they had to cut costs somewhere. Of course assists aren't going to prevent the ramifications of a side impact.

this gives a very good overview. Video shared with the time point of interest so you don't need to watch the whole video

I doubt anybody would survive a side impact in a modern Zoe, as shown by these tests

They also removed the head-level side-impact airbags on the latest model, so during side impacts your head smashes against the side of the car.

Oh dear. That’s not good.
yes a real shame as for me, who doesn't do many miles or loads of luggage etc, the new Zoe was a really good option - it even has decent heater controls so don't have to spend time mucking around which touch sensitive sliders/screen :) - but this killed it for me.

Last edited:
We may need to call on our resident Renault expert for that one…

Last edited:
also, is it a newish 50kw version from the point of view of the 0 * Ncap rating.

Ok, if you aren't going to transport loved ones, but after seeing those side impact videos, the Zoe was a massive NO for me.

Had looked at the older ones, but concerns about away from home charging - isn't there something that is being removed from new chargers that the older Zoe's use ?

but interested in your thoughts on the Zoe
It is the 0 NCAP one that I'm getting. Like anything in life, it's a risk/reward calculation. As far as I can see, much of the reason for the drop in score is due to the lack of irritating driver awareness and lane keeping type technology that many here have sought to turn off in the MG4. Yes, the removal of the side airbags is not ideal, but I've been driving for over 30 years, I had Minis for a long time when I was a young and high-risk driver, (I mean the original Mini, if you wanted an airbag you had to drive around with the spare wheel on your lap), so the Zoe is easily the safest car that I will have ever owned. It's all relative.
I've looked for accident stats for the Zoe and can't find anything, so I can only assume they're not significant, unlike the Tesla, several of which explode or swerve into oncoming traffic every day if the press are to be believed (which they're not).

It is the 0 NCAP one that I'm getting. Like anything in life, it's a risk/reward calculation. As far as I can see, much of the reason for the drop in score is due to the lack of irritating driver awareness and lane keeping type technology that many here have sought to turn off in the MG4. Yes, the removal of the side airbags is not ideal, but I've been driving for over 30 years, I had Minis for a long time when I was a young and high-risk driver, (I mean the original Mini, if you wanted an airbag you had to drive around with the spare wheel on your lap), so the Zoe is easily the safest car that I will have ever owned. It's all relative.
I've looked for accident stats for the Zoe and can't find anything, so I can only assume they're not significant, unlike the Tesla, several of which explode or swerve into oncoming traffic every day if the press are to be believed (which they're not).

Totally agree been driving for over 30 years and for the vast majority of that time none of the cars Ive had, had any safety kit, I know things have moved on, but it's not a the be all and end all.
Loads of people in the world still driving old classics with zero safety kit. The lack of safety kit actually meant you had to be a better driver.

Was in a supermarket car park the other day and a BMW reversed into the space next to me right into the parked car behind. The driver got out and the first thing he said was my sensors didn't beep!! What happened to using your mirrors and looking over your shoulder.

the zoe isn't a bad car in itself. If you're fine with the 0 stars, then look out for these:

• My Zoe makes noises while turning the wheels slowly or while stationary, it makes a rubbing, cracking noise. It's the plastic shell of the strut bearings that make this noise, it isn't dangerous but it will develop into a loud crack and you'll eventually have to change them.
  • The rear door stoppers also crack sometimes when closing, so check them out by opening them wide or halfway then closing them. Open them wide, wiggle them a bit until you feel the resistance of overcoming the steps being harder, and then push it harder and it should make a loud noise. This requires a replacement a repainting of the parts, just applying grease won't help.
  • Boot door squeaks when it's cold, so give that a listen.
  • Rear brakes like to rust and are expensive to change due to the fact that the disks come with the rear bearings and are pressed on the axle. Check all 4 brakes on the car especially the rears.
  • The undercarriage has some kind of plastic which extends from it to the battery. Mine is bent outwards, even though I did no offroading or came close to anything there.
  • Check the battery for damage, scratches are ok, dents are not. If you have a bluetooth OBD dongle, download CarScanner and check the state of health. Beware, some zoes show atrociously bad SoH when cold, so use it in your favour. Renault expects a degradation rate at about 1% per year and 1% per 6000 miles, if it's off by that margin you can argue for a more degraded battery. Most of the time only the BMS will set a too low number, mine showed 91,5% at the end of the summer, now it shows almost 93% after 35.000 miles and 50% DC and 50% 22kW AC.
  • Check if the wipers are aligned correctly especially on the driver's side, the factory didn't seem to care so you'll see a different setting on each zoe. It should be parallel to the A-pillar.
  • Tyre wear, especially if it has michelin tyres, chances are that it will chew on the outside of the tyres more than the middle, even if you drive with the manufacturer specified air pressure. This pattern appears both on the front and on the rear, if it resembles the same pattern you can negotiate in your favour. Also, if the car has new tyres, drive with higher pressure to alleviate this issue. An alignment issue has been excluded multiple times by my dealer.
  • check for engine/transmission noises, mine makes a noise between 25 and 30 mph and it's most hear- and feelable in neutral at around 27mph. Drive up to 30, shift into neutral until you're just below 25mph, if it's silent, then it's good. Just remember to lightly keep the brake pedal depressed to reengage drive. You can shift into neutral but you cannot shift back into drive whithout lightly tapping the brake. If in doubt, simulate it while stopped to get a hang of it and then do while driving. Or keep the car at 0kW recuperation with the brake pedal.
  • I don't know how it's in the UK, but on the LHD versions, the drivers side carpet gets all loose and the mounting points for the floor mats also like to pop out. Check these out and use it in your favour if applicable.
  • check the buttons on the steering wheel, many of the zoes have the issue that these don't react only when you press them hard, even if you feel them click. If that's the case, you'd need a new steering wheel.
  • check the sound of heatpump/AC, it shouldn't be too loud or sound harsh. It should make the buzzing noise, that's normal.

I hope this list will help you get a good deal on one and be a happy owner. If I remember anything, I'll add but this should cover all the things that I know of.

The risk is greatly increased as you complete more miles.
Many who say they have driven for 30 years, have only completed the mileage during that time, that others would do in 5-10 years.
Also many never drive after dark, don’t go on motorways and don‘t go out if the weather is bad. They also do not have 30 years gaining experience - but 1 year repeated 30 times.
Using your car for short shopping trips and driving the same route over and over has much less risk than driving long journeys over relatively unknown roads.
You never know when you might need the best accident protection aids and your driving needs may change, so it makes sense to go for the best available if you can.
Those that drive old classic cars generally do very low mileage in them. I would not consider regular longer journeys in a car that didn’t have the latest safety equipment and crash test certifications.

The Zoë most definitely not one of the alternatives on our list. Too small and lightweight for me to confidently take on motorways and the like, even before the worrying NCAP rating. Strikes me as an about town runaround only (which is fine if that's what you need it for).

We also definitely share the OP's concerns about the 4 as well though.

Lightweight…?
The Zoe is a 1500kg car….
If you’d genuinely be concerned about a Zoe on a motorway, you must be very nervous driver indeed. o_O
What ICE cars did you confidently take on motorways before, as there’s a good chance most were lighter than the Zoe?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back