The MG4 SE 1100R33 Infotainment Thread

Got R33 today. I basically only listen to podcast on Bluetooth connect. On the way home every time I played a podcast it would stop. Don't know why.

When not connected to the car.... no problem.

All very interesting and appears different global regions and equipment level use different version numbers. Mine had the latest here in Australia and I can confirm most of the items mentioned in the above posts. odd ours uses the acronym ELK. I have the 77kw Essence (trophy equiv)

Attachments

• 20240308_175851.jpg
    20240308_175851.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20240308_175913.jpg
    20240308_175913.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 61
DerekH,
Trophys and SE software are different. Could you post it in the general software update thread?
But this one is promissing. Did it change the version of the infotainment system? You seem to still have r11?

Last edited:
Got R33 today. I basically only listen to podcast on Bluetooth connect. On the way home every time I played a podcast it would stop. Don't know why.

When not connected to the car.... no problem.
I'm on R33.
Last week my android auto stopped working completely. Tried numerous different cables none of which worked ,.
All of a sudden 2 days later it started working again. No idea why > There seems to have been a small AA update .
As before I have to disconnect the cable and reconnect it between drives but that's only a small problem.
Anyone got any ideas as to what's happened?

Last edited by a moderator:
AA is working fine in mine. I don't listen to podcasts, but I do listen to MP3 music on my phone via the RocketPlay app (or the Musicolet app) and AA, and it all works fine. (Most of the time - sometimes I'll get pauses, but that's the car struggling with computing resources).

Hi all, Just got my SE updated to R33. All OK but I am experiencing a speed limiting issue. Power % starts to drop as speed increases. Max speed is 114KM/h (70Mph). The accelleration rate has decreased drastically to the point that I am afraid to overtake. I tried full charge with balancing, disconnected negative 12v. All for nothing. Any hints appreciated.

R33 only refers to the infotainment system. Your power problem will be due to a different module they've updated. Go back to the dealer and get them to reinstall that bit of software again.

R33 only refers to the infotainment system. Your power problem will be due to a different module they've updated. Go back to the dealer and get them to reinstall that bit of software again.
Yes. Thanks. In fact they updated a large number of modules. Wish someone would point out which would be be most likely module that has affected this. And if anyone else has experienced this.

Yes. Thanks. In fact they updated a large number of modules. Wish someone would point out which would be be most likely module that has affected this. And if anyone else has experienced this.
They know which one. I have heard it before.
The fact that a module update can still go wrong also means they will not introduce OTA until they get all controls in place within the update package to verify if the update was correct/complete.

Feedback on the SE update: I notice that the GOM is more accurate and realisic now.

Love how ACC is now more smooth, especially in bends. And notice that Regen is less aggressive now. Seems to start more gradually.

For all who might be interested, I am using an Ottocast Play2Video and a wireless charger. I am very happy with the setup as I have wireless android auto. Just get in car, place phone on pad and drive away. Plus, no cables hanging around.

OTA should in fact be more reliable than the current process having the dealer in the middle who employs humans who can make instakes. OTA will know exactly the set of module/software versions installed on each individual car and can apply the specific module updates appropriately. This will drastically reduce any errors.

OTA should in fact be more reliable than the current process having the dealer in the middle who employs humans who can make instakes. OTA will know exactly the set of module/software versions installed on each individual car and can apply the specific module updates appropriately. This will drastically reduce any errors.
OTA is just a means of transport of the total update. For the update to be correct you still need all the controls and a sufficiently automated process to avoid user interaction. They clearly do not have them.
So they rely on the input of the trained mechanic to control the process, and to verify if it is done successfully.

However, if cheap hardware has unstable qualities, even if the update is correct the end effect may be that the car does not function properly.
Updates of modules that are known to induce safety issues or highly influence the basic functioning of the car are the most vulnerable ones. If you cannot be sure that every single update works, you need a mechanic to verify. End of customer OTA.
However, I doubt that a mechanic will test a power curve at higher speeds if the power curve itself hasn't been listed as a root cause for an update...
Normally with so many systems to be updated, you collect all updates, pack them and test them as one very thorougly on all systems they apply to. Then you can update safely.
However, if "the systems" only exist on paper and in fact may have different subversions or subsets with flawed hardware, you are in trouble. Your package will be invalid for an unknown number of cases. So you have make smaller update packages, possibly all the way up to a single hardware module level.

Lower hardware prices induce such variations. If the lower price of hardware help you to reduce the total price for the customer, there is no added margin for the manufacturer to 'solve' the higher number of issues afterwards.

This explains the module based approach for updates on the MG. And it explains why both dealer and MG often seem to have no clue at all what causes what, an why MG cuts aftersales costs when dealing with issues.

Ridiculous situation at our local dealer. Wife took her car in last month for update, SE model on R16. Flashed it with the same firmware. Took it in again today after complaining and it having been rebooked, specifically specifying all the issues with LKA, headlamp dimming, android auto, no outside air temp, screen lockups, etc etc that it be updated to R33.

She waited for service, checked the car, same....R16. Complained there and then to be told by the engineer that is the latest they have. They went back, checked and downloaded 'latest' :rolleyes: and flashed with R33.

So basically at our dealer the latest firmware will always be what they have on the system, they would never think to check the servers :rolleyes:

So basically at our dealer the latest firmware will always be what they have on the system, they would never think to check the servers :rolleyes:
I am not excusing it but we have heard that MG does not tell the dealers when new versions are available.

At my dealer, none of the technicians drives an MG EV, they have no experience with the app and they are kept in the dark by MG except on specific issues when they raise a warranty claim.

Now, the techs at my dealer are savvy enough and independent minded enough to research the latest info and learn how to get MG to approve things quickly, find out what they need to know.

But I can well understand how many techs would just carry on doing their jobs and rely on what MG last told them.

This has been escalated multiple times by different dealers to MG as a bad situation that needs to improve (lack of information and visibility). I haven't seen a change yet.

I have had similar power issue today - had my car back last week where all the software was updated to try and fix a charging issue. I'm waiting for a call back from the dealer. I was on the motorway when the power limit happened- was a terrifying experience!

Person spitting carpet tacks here. Despite me having told them forcefully at every available opportunity that I wanted R33, the car was still on R13 when I got it back. Vague excuses about MG servers being down, and they only do it if the customer has issues. I pointed out that I'd been screaming about the issues repeatedly. Allegedly someone is going to phone me on Monday to arrange to get the car in again to have it done. I am not a happy bunny, if for no other reason that nobody had the courtesy to tell me it wasn't done, just let me go out to the car and check, and return to the office fulminating.

In other news I do have the ACC update and it is better. The windscreen wipers are doing something odd that I have heard others mention. I don't yet know if the car will pre-heat while it's plugged in but not charging.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back