The MG4 SE 1100R33 Infotainment Thread

Love the drop down menu now visible in CarPlay also and its OFF button. ☺️

View attachment 23401
So does swiping down the top status bar work when CarPlay is full screen?

From what I’ve seen the latest AU/NZ software R11 seems to have the same functionality of UK R33.. however a dealer demonstrated swiping down while CarPlay is full screen and nothing happens. Just wondering if the visible bar made it into R11 but swipe down (like the handy Power button) didn’t 🤔

So does swiping down the top status bar work when CarPlay is full screen?

From what I’ve seen the latest AU/NZ software R11 seems to have the same functionality of UK R33.. however a dealer demonstrated swiping down while CarPlay is full screen and nothing happens. Just wondering if the visible bar made it into R11 but swipe down (like the handy Power button) didn’t 🤔
Yes the swipe down works in CarPlay

What are the chances of the speed limiter functionality becoming consistent with the ACC on a future update? I'm not compatible with ACC, whereas the limiter on most cars works well for me.

However on the MG4 the lack of 1MPH increments limits its usefulness IMO (unless i've missed how to achieve that somehow).

With manual or auto limiter on, I would see it being something like:
Up/down short press increments 1 s
Press and hold increments 5 s
Long press of middle left swaps between manual and auto
Short press engages / disengages current mode
Buttons on screen always visible and selecting either mode turns off ACC.
I guess they could use left/right for one of the increments instead perhaps.

While they're at it they could stop the speed sign flashing after a few seconds when over the limit. It is very distracting and I have to turn detection off on motorways. Hmm, haven't checked this is still the case since the updates?

Even with the above it's still so nice to drive 🙂.
I prefer the current configuration: speed limits are in increments of 10 most times anyway.
And the speedometer is so accurate that when I set 20mph in a 20mph zone I’m actually doing 20mph and I can tell most other cars’ speedometers are indicating 22/23mph because as we all go past a speed camera, they all slow down just a tad.

If I want to stick to a specific down the the 1mph accuracy speed limit, I can just go at that speed first and then set the limiter.

I prefer the current configuration: speed limits are in increments of 10 most times anyway.
And the speedometer is so accurate that when I set 20mph in a 20mph zone I’m actually doing 20mph and I can tell most other cars’ speedometers are indicating 22/23mph because as we all go past a speed camera, they all slow down just a tad.

If I want to stick to a specific down the the 1mph accuracy speed limit, I can just go at that speed first and then set the limiter.
Yes, for urban use it is fine, but on motorways if I'm catching a car ahead slowly, I'll either notch down a couple to go at their limiter/ACC speed, or notch up a couple so i don't sit in their blind spot for too long or stop them from overtaking etc.

Also, however I'm using it, it seems to round the set speed up to a round number. Will have a play to try and get it to use the exact speed.

My previous car (Hyundai) added a GPS speedo on the nav display with a software update. It was most instructive as to the real speed. A subsequent update even added average speed through relevant camera sections - very neat.

I don't think the manual limiter can actually do "current" speed - it jumps to the nearest 5mph increment. I may have to go out and try that now...

As previously said, the latest module updates (not related to Infotainment) implement the reversed 1/5 mph speed adjustment for ACC/TJA ... i.e. new is single toggle = 1 mph change, toggle and hold for a second = 5 mph change. And this method works really well (in my car at least) ... previously I found it impossible to do <5 mph adjustments because the toggle and hold would do nothing and then ramp up/down the speed target too quickly, but the 5 mph increments with toggle and hold works really well. :)

tried ...didn't help ...
Just got the r33 update and have the same problem. Did you find a fix to the left shortcut button being unable to select? Did you try @siteguru suggestion to take off the 12V battery? I'm not very technical but it is annoying to see the options but not be able to select them so if it works I will give it a try.

Some abbreviations from one of those manuals that may help identifying what updates were done…

Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
Electric Power Steering Module (EPS)
Steering Column Lock Control Module (ESCL)
Integrated Brake System (IBS)
Body Control Module (BCM)
Gateway Control Module (GW)
Sensing Diagnostic Module (SDM)
Front View Camera Module(FVCM)
Front Detection Radar (FDR)
RearDriverAssistSystem(RDA)
Front Infotainment Control Module (FICM)
Driver Monitoring System(DMS)
ElectronicBatterySensor(EBS)
BatteryManagementSystem(BMS)
Combined Charging Unit(CCU)
Intelligent Motor Control Unit (IMCU)
Shifter Control Unit (SCU)
Electric Parking Motor Control Unit (EPMCU)
Electric Vehicle Communication Controller (EVCC)
Instruments Pack (IPK)
Ah, just like the good ol' days of me VW Beetle 😱

Finally managed to update my car to R33 after telling me for a week it wasn’t available. All seems to be working ok with the new updates.

Last edited:
Had this installed today during annual service. Completely pain free update - everything remained as it was before, all favourite radio stations remained etc.

Looks good. Will take a bit to get used to it, but happy so far

Had this installed today during annual service. Completely pain free update - everything remained as it was before, all favourite radio stations remained etc.

Looks good. Will take a bit to get used to it, but happy so far
Had you logged issues with the old infotainment version before the service and requested the update or did the dealer just do it without asking?

Had you logged issues with the old infotainment version before the service and requested the update or did the dealer just do it without asking?
The only issue I had noticed was the first call made each time using CarPlay didn’t connect properly. Every other one was fine, it was just the first call. I’d logged that with the dealer and when I turned up this morning they told me there was an update that should sort it.

To be fair I’d since upgraded my phone which seemed to have sorted the CarPlay issue, and I told the service chap that this morning, but they said they’d apply the update anyway.

When I collected the car a couple of hours later, it had been updated to R33.

Just need to get used to the changes now.

The only issue I had noticed was the first call made each time using CarPlay didn’t connect properly. Every other one was fine, it was just the first call. I’d logged that with the dealer and when I turned up this morning they told me there was an update that should sort it.

To be fair I’d since upgraded my phone which seemed to have sorted the CarPlay issue, and I told the service chap that this morning, but they said they’d apply the update anyway.

When I collected the car a couple of hours later, it had been updated to R33.

Just need to get used to the changes now.
Why did it not connect the first time ? Was there anything wrong with the number format?

Why did it not connect the first time ? Was there anything wrong with the number format?
Nope, I just asked Siri to call someone, and it appeared to call them, in that their name came on the screen, with the relevant buttons, and looked like it connected, but I couldn’t hear anything and neither could they.

Really weird fault, as it always worked faultlessly afterwards.

One of the changes which I’m finding very useful so far is the distance to obstacles at the rear. It’s very accurate from what I’ve experienced, and a handy feature to have.

The shortcuts are also great - ability to set the left star to regen is handy, as is the swipe down access to LKA. Definitely a worthwhile update to have so far.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back