• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

The Ultimate MG5 "Real World" Energy Consumption Thread

Bit of a jaunt out today, typical figures for a decent run. Might have cut it a bit fine getting back though 😄

My long-memory screen is coming up to the point where it resets at 9,999 miles so I'll post that picture later this month. That will be proper "real world" miles per kilowatt hour 🙂
So the last 84 miles of your trip used only 25%, that's might impressive especially as the m/kWh dropped from 5 to 4.7 (does that make sense?), in fact the whole journey is impressive, far better than I manage., well done sir. :)

So the last 84 miles of your trip used only 25%, that's might impressive especially as the m/kWh dropped from 5 to 4.7 (does that make sense?), in fact the whole journey is impressive, far better than I manage., well done sir. :)

No I gave it a 15% squirt at Scotch Corner mindful of the pull up Stanmore, which obviously cost me the drop in miles/kWh.
Good job I did looking at the 4% left 😄

Edit - just got the gridserve bill for the top-up, £4.64. Considering my car runs entirely from the sun (and a bit of Tesco 😄) that's a pretty cheap day out 😊

Last edited:
First month's driving done. Other than the saga in my other thread, pretty darn happy

IMG_20221011_192730.jpg

It has always troubled me that the motoring press quote 3.6 miles per kW/h for the MG5 EV, especially as it's likely that they probably had one to test for a week at most.
So when I bought my 2nd MG5, a Long Range Exclusive, on 30th December 2021 I deliberately zeroed the long memory screen and decided not to touch it until it was about due to reset to zero at 9,999 miles.

This is a PROPER real world miles per kW/h evaluation, as the car has been driven in all temperatures (minus 10 to plus 30 degrees) on all road types, in all traffic conditions, different driving styles and generally with the A/C on as 4 occupants and 3 dogs tend to steam it up.

The end result for this 10 months of everyday driving is 4.2 miles per kW/h, which I'm very pleased with. If it is true that the Long Range battery has 57 usable kW/h, then it means my average range per charge has been around 240 - and as it has been flicking between 4.2 and 4.3 for the last couple of weeks this could be nearer 245.

As far as I know, even when it resets to zero it continues counting, so I'll be interested to see if I can maintain or even improve on this by 30th December; most of my current journeys on the short memory screen have been above 4.2 despite the weather turning colder.

Best part is, most of these miles have been free, using my DIY solar charging station or Tesco free charging 😁

Attachments

• 20221018_102245.jpg
    20221018_102245.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 73
It has always troubled me that the motoring press quote 3.6 miles per kW/h for the MG5 EV, especially as it's likely that they probably had one to test for a week at most.
So when I bought my 2nd MG5, a Long Range Exclusive, on 30th December 2021 I deliberately zeroed the long memory screen and decided not to touch it until it was about due to reset to zero at 9,999 miles.

This is a PROPER real world miles per kW/h evaluation, as the car has been driven in all temperatures (minus 10 to plus 30 degrees) on all road types, in all traffic conditions, different driving styles and generally with the A/C on as 4 occupants and 3 dogs tend to steam it up.

The end result for this 10 months of everyday driving is 4.2 miles per kW/h, which I'm very pleased with. If it is true that the Long Range battery has 57 usable kW/h, then it means my average range per charge has been around 240 - and as it has been flicking between 4.2 and 4.3 for the last couple of weeks this could be nearer 245.

As far as I know, even when it resets to zero it continues counting, so I'll be interested to see if I can maintain or even improve on this by 30th December; most of my current journeys on the short memory screen have been above 4.2 despite the weather turning colder.

Best part is, most of these miles have been free, using my DIY solar charging station or Tesco free charging 😁
To give you a comparison. Our previously owned tesla model S dit a all round year consumption of 181 wh/km, if you convert your figure to that metric it is 148 wh/km. That is a very good score for a car without the fancy heatpumps etc!

Another month completed, car faultless... bit mucky now with hosepipe ban so I may treat it to a handwash next time I'm up north. I've had solar installed, 8 panels on an easterly roof, which has been managing 3 or 4Kw a day in spite of the weather. The 5.2 Kw battery will be installed in November, feed in paperwork being sorted and then I shan't be giving Octopus any for free.

I think this month contains an down, up and down again to Leeds, so mostly motorway & dual carriageway. On the last run down, Google offered a economy route after I'd topped up at Lutterworth, which I took as it promised virtually the same arrival time. It was proved correct, and the corner it cut from the motorway to the A34 at Brackley was very pleasant after spending a couple of hours trying to anticipate some of the wayward drivers on the M1.

lRIoR6hYQQ2BoQjjxR-FhA.jpg

This is mine for October. Managed 4.7 during September. Would have been higher but for 2 longish trips this month; weekend in Devon and a week in Snowdonia. The latter was very wet, with 4 passengers, a dog and roofbox. The car handled it all with aplomb, as usual.

Attachments

• PXL_20221029_145144128.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221029_145144128.MP.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 86
My October stats. Pretty well all local journeys and I'm just sticking to the default settings (Normal and regen 2).

I'm really starting to see the effects of the cooler weather and (sparing) use of the heater.

October 22 Mileage stats.jpg

Chesterfield to Trowell services near Nottingham and back yesterday morning. Mild weather still, speed 55-65 depending on conditions. Used just under 25 per cent for 66 miles.

Since the trip was reset to zero at the end of December last year when at the dealership for the first annual service, our 5 SR has covered just over 8,000 miles, averaging 4.3 kWh. Very pleased. Probably about a tenth on the motorway, plenty of journeys to and through the Peak District.

I know Les will be interested in this, how are your overall figures, Les?

Chesterfield to Trowell services near Nottingham and back yesterday morning. Mild weather still, speed 55-65 depending on conditions. Used just under 25 per cent for 66 miles.

Since the trip was reset to zero at the end of December last year when at the dealership for the first annual service, our 5 SR has covered just over 8,000 miles, averaging 4.3 kWh. Very pleased. Probably about a tenth on the motorway, plenty of journeys to and through the Peak District.

I know Les will be interested in this, how are your overall figures, Les?
Hi mate yeh seen your post this one above last week but forgot to answer sorry about that, well not made has yet to the barrel but I’m going to might try and do it when the snow is covering the whole area missed would like that might even go in her MG4 and see what snow mode is all about but for now back to the mg5 I have still never zero the thrip counters but like you mine got it’s first service at the end of March about 11000 miles and when that was done the trip had been zeroed when I got it back it appears that it reset if and when any software updates are carried out which they did on the service for the brake lights on regen if you remember been fine apart from brake squealing in reverse which the still haven’t cure after 5 attempts going back again in a week or two got another try other than that all good the MG4 is great but the 5 is like a pair of old slippers to me now very comfortable day two day or on a longer run 200 miles or more fell like a trip to the pub 2miles away to me still a bit more MPKH than your seeing but you of course live in a more hilly area than I do which is proudly the reason yeh Thame care good to hear again from you
Les
B49D0164-3202-4E0C-AD34-95A7DACE0B21.jpeg

And good to hear from you, Les. Your 4.7 figure does trump my 4.3, though I had three months of winter still to come after my service. Still averaging 200-plus miles on a full charge with the outside temperature remaining in double figures, but there's strip to Scotland the week after next and a London trip early December, so it'll be interesting to see how the 5 does if the thermometer drops.

Book ahead if you're visiting the Barrel, it's busy, especially at weekends.

All the best to you, Les

Better late than never, so here's my October driving summary. Since I got the car in June last month was the first much cooler weather driving, and I've noticed around a 20% drop in range. Does anyone recommend changing any car settings for the cooler weather please?

Attachments

• tempImageiJCbaN.png
    tempImageiJCbaN.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 62
Same. All my journeys are well within my car's range. (y)
Exactly use the heater when needed, use the aircon when needed, accept that you will get less range in the cold, less on the motorway and more around town.

Where I tend to go wrong is being tight when doing a rare public charging, when I'm heading home to 7.5p charging.

Needed to last night, and I managed to find a Tesco fast charger at 50p. With about 100 and a bit miles to go, I had 40% left and, not wishing to compromise on heat/speed etc, and knowing I'd taken 53% getting up there in the daytime. I was going to go to 65% but my automatic panic alarm (sat in the passenger seat) insisted I should go for 70. The same alarm went off at full volume when it noticed how "quickly" it had used the power - I think range was showing 37 when we had 30 miles to go, mostly motorway). So I did drop the speed a bit and we got home with a reasonably comfortable 7% left.

That is about the lowest I've taken it, and while I wasn't overly concerned, I do wish I'd stuck another quid or two worth in and avoided the matter.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom