The Ultimate MG5 "Real World" Energy Consumption Thread

My August figures plus this morning's outgoing journey to the coast cos I forgot to reset it (it didn't make any difference to the overall m/kwh figure).

I've shown this morning's trip as well for completeness; that was the outgoing trip which was mainly downhill - got 3.8 on the way back.

Attachments

• Aug 22 Mileage Stats.jpg
    Aug 22 Mileage Stats.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 129
  • Outgoing to Seaburn.jpg
    Outgoing to Seaburn.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 107
A mix of A&B roads, at the speed limit or just under.
Air con on auto at 19 - 20degrees for most of the month.
Normal mode KERS 2

Happy so far!

The first few days of September have seen a drop though as the temperature has been in single digits in the morning!
IMG_20220831_174710_826.jpg

August figures.
500 motorway miles at 65/70. Otherwise mainly A and B roads at speed limits. A/C on as needed. Eco Kers 3 mainly. 5LR.

Attachments

• PXL_20220901_170018925.jpg
    PXL_20220901_170018925.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 105
This is a bit weird. I charged overnight on the granny up to 87% on Saturday night. Since then the car's been on the drive.

This morning I went out on a short trip to do run some errands and when I got back it had gone up to 88%. How's that work then?

charge 4th Sept 2022.jpg
88 per cent 20220906_095254.jpg

Well Jim from you pictures you have done 6 miles and have 4.8 mpkwh so I can only think some good Regen braking has been going on over them 6 miles maybe a few downhill bits in that journey.
Les

Well Jim from you pictures you have done 6 miles and have 4.8 mpkwh so I can only think some good Regen braking has been going on over them 6 miles maybe a few downhill bits in that journey.
Les

Well, I started and finished the journey on my drive, so on average it was level.

I did a charge overnight on holiday, I though to 100% but the display said 96%. I drove about 15 miles before it changed!

Found my 3pin 13 Amp energy display thingy, it shows Volts, Watts, Amps and kWh.

Plugged in the Granny charger last night through the display, car HV battery was at 48%.

Switched on at 18:00 and ran through the selections, V 240, W 2295 but forgot to check Amps but never mind.

Checked the car at 10:00 with 100% and 306 miles on the clock.

Then checked the kWh on the display, it read 32.89 kWh.

So with my units at 20.72p/kWh that's about £6.80, not bad I thought.

This is a bit weird. I charged overnight on the granny up to 87% on Saturday night. Since then the car's been on the drive.

This morning I went out on a short trip to do run some errands and when I got back it had gone up to 88%. How's that work then?

View attachment 10767View attachment 10768
I have seen this several times, usually after a rapid charge.
I stop charging at whatever percent and 1 or 2 miles later I have 1 percent more, and another disproportionate chunk of miles before it starts dropping.
Not complaining. :) it all adds to the mystery of the '5'

I recall a similar feeling about the petrol gauge when doing about 147mph (on the autobahn of course) in my MV6 Omega!!

Never mind the fuel gauge, driving at the banked oval at Nardo in a 4x4 Sierra required a constant 1/4 turn of steering lock and resulted in only 20 laps (~ 150 miles, 50 minutes) before the front tyres wore out. If they deflated you had to remember to turn into the centre - not the normal steer into a skid routine. And we were only 30mph over the "hands free" speed the track was designed for.

Well that was an impromptu 200 mile round trip.
90% motorway at 66mph, just me on the first 100 miles then 3 more passengers on the way back.
20220911_015002.jpg

I had to do a splash n dash from an instavolt on the way back as it was only at 75% when i started the journey.
As you can see it was a nigh 2am finish

Thought some may be interested the 13 months stats for my MG5 SR. Good to see the increase in economy fro Aug 21 to Aug 22:unsure:
Mostly drive in Eco mode using kers 3 for urban, 2 for normal and 1 for motorway/fast roads. Max 60-65 on fast roads, 50-55 country roads. Having had small battery Leaf's previously I do tend to drive economically by habit. Wierdly I still get a slight shudder when the battery drops to 20%, which in the past meant "urgent! charge needed within 20 miles:eek:" whereas now it is nearer 50.:ROFLMAO: Longest trip done Northumberland to Sutherland 375 miles with two charges (playing it safe) and return round trip of over 1000 miles with no charging dramas :cool:
Very happy with my choice of car :)

Attachments

• MG graph.png
    MG graph.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 87
  • MG data.png
    MG data.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 96
Thought some may be interested the 13 months stats for my MG5 SR. Good to see the increase in economy fro Aug 21 to Aug 22:unsure:
Mostly drive in Eco mode using kers 3 for urban, 2 for normal and 1 for motorway/fast roads. Max 60-65 on fast roads, 50-55 country roads. Having had small battery Leaf's previously I do tend to drive economically by habit. Wierdly I still get a slight shudder when the battery drops to 20%, which in the past meant "urgent! charge needed within 20 miles:eek:" whereas now it is nearer 50.:ROFLMAO: Longest trip done Northumberland to Sutherland 375 miles with two charges (playing it safe) and return round trip of over 1000 miles with no charging dramas :cool:
Very happy with my choice of car :)

Best and worst consumption figures vary depending on where you are and driving style but there is one constant. There is a 30% decline in the winter. Thanks for your figures.

I have to say that those year round figures are quite impressive for a car with no heatpump heater. I did not get that kind of figures from my model s in winter and summer. And for the summer it approaches a model 3 SR. those tend to get a bit more economical.

Yesterday was our longest trip yet in the MG5, though still within range of one full charge.

We travelled from Washington to York and back, starting off with 97% charge and got this on outward and return journeys respectively: -

20220922_114339.jpg
20220922_170312.jpg

It was pouring with rain most of the way back, and I put my foot down a bit more. Mostly motorway driving, but keeping the speed down to 60 - 70 mph a lot of the time.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom