The Ultimate MG5 "Real World" Energy Consumption Thread

Yesterday was our longest trip yet in the MG5, though still within range of one full charge.

We travelled from Washington to York and back, starting off with 97% charge and got this on outward and return journeys respectively: -

View attachment 11078View attachment 11079

It was pouring with rain most of the way back, and I put my foot down a bit more. Mostly motorway driving, but keeping the speed down to 60 - 70 mph a lot of the time.
Good trip for the confidence in taking the car on journeys.

Well that was an impromptu 200 mile round trip.
90% motorway at 66mph, just me on the first 100 miles then 3 more passengers on the way back.
View attachment 10868

I had to do a splash n dash from an instavolt on the way back as it was only at 75% when i started the journey.
As you can see it was a nigh 2am finish
That's an impressive 4% left! I got down to 3% when I did a York to Essex trip recently (took a bit of driving around finding a working charger). I think I noticed at 5% that the car no longer told you that you had 30 miles of range left.
Has anyone ever made it to 0% and still had a couple of miles of range?

Last edited:
Another month completed... normal motoring plus a trip and a half between Southampton and Leeds. Pics show the full month and the last run down from Leeds to Southampton.

20220928_215558.jpg
20220921_145043.jpg

Good average speed on the trip from Leeds, where did you stop en-route ?
I stopped at Lutterworth, virtually half way down and less than a mile from the M1 junction. There is Moto Rugby as an alternate a further 3 miles along the road if my chosen charger is in demand.

It's only a pair of 50KW Osprey chargers in a pub car park. But, as I generally need to shop for groceries once home, I can use the half hour or so to shop at the new Aldi store just across the main road or have a crafty pint in the pub.

The other bonus, at the moment, is that I 'invested' in a Bonnet subscription which is costing 44p a KW and since the Osprey retail price jumped to a pound a KW their chargers are not in demand it seems.

The other factor is the time of the journey, leaving Leeds around 9.30 am, as rush hour has died away, which is a big factor in getting from the Adel side of Leeds to the M1. Motorway and A34 is usually pretty good at that time as well.

I stopped at Lutterworth, virtually half way down and less than a mile from the M1 junction. There is Moto Rugby as an alternate a further 3 miles along the road if my chosen charger is in demand.

It's only a pair of 50KW Osprey chargers in a pub car park. But, as I generally need to shop for groceries once home, I can use the half hour or so to shop at the new Aldi store just across the main road or have a crafty pint in the pub.

The other bonus, at the moment, is that I 'invested' in a Bonnet subscription which is costing 44p a KW and since the Osprey retail price jumped to a pound a KW their chargers are not in demand it seems.

The other factor is the time of the journey, leaving Leeds around 9.30 am, as rush hour has died away, which is a big factor in getting from the Adel side of Leeds to the M1. Motorway and A34 is usually pretty good at that time as well.
Nice one, I'll bear that location mind. Always best to avoid any travel through Leeds in rush hours, same as most towns I guess. From Adel that's before 7:15 or after 9:30. I used to live next to Adel in West Park/Lawnswood so know the route to the M1 very well.

Nice one, I'll bear that location mind. Always best to avoid any travel through Leeds in rush hours, same as most towns I guess. From Adel that's before 7:15 or after 9:30. I used to live next to Adel in West Park/Lawnswood so know the route to the M1 very well.
I can't argue about rush hour travel in Leeds... taking our Rosie to nursery, down near the Uni, gives ample time to listen to The Wiggles version of D I N G O and Dingo was his name -o ad nausem...

September total, at the beginning of the month I was on 4.6 then it dropped to 4.5 and yesterday dropped to 4.4m/kWh and there was no way in this poor weather that it was going back up.

Attachments

• IMG_20220930_181232.jpg
    IMG_20220930_181232.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
My September figures. Included a longish round trip of 160 ish miles mainly on motorway. The last few days I've had the heater on and mileage dropped dramatically to the low 3 s for some short trips (probably it'll be better on a longer trip as the heater power will be a smaller % of the total power used).
Sept 22 Mileage Stats.jpg

Here’s my September log which had 2 long weekends, York to Essex and York to Cardiff! All motorway driving at 60 mph (Cardiff 250 mile trip down completed with 6% battery left!)

Attachments

• 9A380E7D-63BE-4BE0-8898-9317D8882E65.jpeg
    9A380E7D-63BE-4BE0-8898-9317D8882E65.jpeg
    342.8 KB · Views: 63
Here's mine for September, again always normal mode and KERS 2. Also included a trip up to York amongst usual commute to work and back.
IMG_20221003_075624_064.jpg

Had a number of days in the morning where temperature was between 5 and 8 degrees.
Car had its first service yesterday 3/10/22
£79 plus vat which included the free automatic renewal of the AA cover.
Battery SOH still at 100% as well so all good.

Here's mine for September, again always normal mode and KERS 2. Also included a trip up to York amongst usual commute to work and back.
View attachment 11536

Had a number of days in the morning where temperature was between 5 and 8 degrees.
Car had its first service yesterday 3/10/22
£79 plus vat which included the free automatic renewal of the AA cover.
Battery SOH still at 100% as well so all good.
I wonder if I saw you in my home town of York? Did you use the City of York Council BP Pulse network of chargers? They only charge 25p/kW for slow and 30p/kW for fast & ultra fast!

Bit of a jaunt out today, typical figures for a decent run. Might have cut it a bit fine getting back though 😄

My long-memory screen is coming up to the point where it resets at 9,999 miles so I'll post that picture later this month. That will be proper "real world" miles per kilowatt hour 🙂

Attachments

• 20221010_163742.jpg
    20221010_163742.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 63
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom