The Ultimate MG5 "Real World" Energy Consumption Thread

I found this quite interesting. Playing with the data.

1691051844321.png

A strong and consistent relationship between average speed and efficiency over the last four months, with the line sliding to the right as temperatures increase. I'm afraid Philb is abit of a July outlier at 20mph with 3.9miles/kwh

I'm afraid Philb is abit of a July outlier at 20mph with 3.9miles/kwh
I've always been a bit on my own! 😁

Thinking into it a bit further I was wondering what sort of loads you are all carrying as that must make a difference. Most of my journeys are with four passengers so maybe that is the difference!

I’m guessing this is as much as I’m going to get out of the facelift MG5??

Drove to London last week, 150 mile round trip and both ended up at 4.1 miles to the kWh.

Attachments

• IMG_7279.jpeg
    IMG_7279.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 91
Not so good this month. Was 4.1 for for first 1000miles but then went on holiday to France… 1900miles mainly autoroute up to 130km/hour fully loaded. Uphill in the Alps uses a lot too! Side note: Quite noisy at that speed to compared to my normal motorway cruise of 65-70mph
IMG_0960.jpeg

IMG_8900.jpeg

Another month and another 4m/kWh.

Had a few 90 mile trips this month. One to Norfolk where I achieved an unbelievable 4.7 m/kWh (the return was back at 4m/kWh though but was at night with aircon).

Also went to the Peak District this week and each 140 mile trip was at 3.9m/kWh but I reckon 90% of the trip was on the M1 while the Norfolk trip was rolling A roads???

But yeah, motorways are not it’s natural habitat.

Last edited:
A very slight improvement this month, but probably due to only 1 long journey to the lakes, all the rest have been on the daily commute through town traffic, hence the low average speed.

Attachments

• 20230901_081918.jpg
    20230901_081918.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 71
1693583438645.png

Facelift model data is interesting so far though it is sparse. I wonder if the pre-facelift is over-reporting / if the facelift is underreporting. There seems to be a resolvable disparity in the reported figures so far. Something to keep an eye on.

View attachment 19945
Facelift model data is interesting so far though it is sparse. I wonder if the pre-facelift is over-reporting / if the facelift is underreporting. There seems to be a resolvable disparity in the reported figures so far. Something to keep an eye on.
I feel your first point is important, that the available data is sparse. I know from my own short time driving the MG5 that the MPK can vary so much depending on time of day (cold mornings) and the length and speed of the journey. We could do with more members reporting their data to draw any real conclusions.
Really appreciate you putting this data together as it gives us new to the EV world a good idea of the impact the colder weather will have on efficiencies.

Coming up to the car's first birthday and my best month so far managing 4.1! It was holding at 4.2 for a while but dropped down at the last minute! Have really enjoyed my first year with the car. Have just got back from my first service, battery health at 99% and all good. I did think £125 was a little steep though.
IMG_20230901_193102.jpg

I started out for most of the month with 5, but work trips to Devon, Wales and the Isle of Wight, and a week touring around Normandy brought that down a bit. Rapid charging in France at 25/30 cents per kWh was pleasant!

Attachments

• PXL_20230903_010638613.jpg
    PXL_20230903_010638613.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 57
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom