Things not to like on the new ZS EV

Chademo is truly the Betamax standard, vastly superior but done down by commercial pressure exerted by the rival inferior system. You just have to read this forum to see the ongoing issues with CCS not to mention the absence of a workable V2G standard for it. So the EU and the German car industry have saddled us with a turkey.
Personally I would buy a car with Chademo for a four year ownership, but I wouldn't buy another LEAF given the continued passive battery cooling and associated degradation.
Not familiar with Chademo.

Does it support 800V batteries?

Does it support 350kW charging?

Is it readily available at several thousand charging points in the UK?

1. A solution to try can be found via the search:
Thanks didn't know that, just turned mine down to lowest setting (2) what a difference it makes.

Chademo is truly the Betamax standard, vastly superior but done down by commercial pressure exerted by the rival inferior system. You just have to read this forum to see the ongoing issues with CCS not to mention the absence of a workable V2G standard for it. So the EU and the German car industry have saddled us with a turkey.
Personally I would buy a car with Chademo for a four year ownership, but I wouldn't buy another LEAF given the continued passive battery cooling and associated degradation.
The problem is that no matter how great, and much better ChaDeMo is, if there are no charging stations, or only a fraction of the charging stations supports it, and no new stations with ChaDeMo is being added, and old ones replaced will also lose ChaDemo, then the ChaDeMo standard is not the best, because i can not charge it "anywhere", but at home.

To me, finding a charger anywhere i need it, is still a problem with CCS, and if there are a lot less ChaDeMo, that problem will just be compounded. Also less chargers, and longer distance between them means, not as much competition, and probably in the future, more expensive prices for electricity.

The CCS problems here seems to be mostly an incompatibility between the charger and the car, with regards to communications, i dont know how you could think this would be any different with ChaDeMo, if "all" cars had that.

The problem here for the charger owners, is that there is a standard, and if some manufacturers do not adhere strictly to that standard, there will be problems. The problem here seems to be with SAIC's implementation of the protocol, as no car should be able to get itself into an error state, that is not recoverable either by just unplugging the car or atleast a battery off, battery on, reset of the computers.

I even think MG have already solved this and any car that comes in for a service, will get updated firmware to deal with the problem.

These cars are more and more computer, and less and less car, so it is only logical that the cars gets some of the same problems as computers have had for years.

The problem is that no matter how great, and much better ChaDeMo is, if there are no charging stations, or only a fraction of the charging stations supports it,...
There are roughly as many CHAdeMO charger points as CCS, statistically. The big issue is that they're generally on dual-standard chargers, often those nearest the entrance to a set of chargers nearest to the entrance to the facilities (I'm looking at you, GridServe) and they get quickly snapped up by those CCS charging even if there's a dual-CCS charger free (because we shouldn't expect that those charging even know there's such a thing as CHAdeMO and they don't know it would be handy for them to move over).

There are roughly as many CHAdeMO charger points as CCS, statistically. The big issue is that they're generally on dual-standard chargers, often those nearest the entrance to a set of chargers nearest to the entrance to the facilities (I'm looking at you, GridServe) and they get quickly snapped up by those CCS charging even if there's a dual-CCS charger free (because we shouldn't expect that those charging even know there's such a thing as CHAdeMO and they don't know it would be handy for them to move over).

There are nowhere near as many Chademo charging points as CCS - certainly not statistically :)

There are around 13,500 Rapid, or faster, chargers in the UK. Of those, approx 4,900 are Chademo (which is good), but I would guess “statistics” suggests there are more CCS chargers?

350kW, 800V ?

Last edited:
I can only talk for Denmark, where i live, and here i have seen no new chargers being put up in the last few years that are dual use. A new fast charger here is 99% sure to only be CCS.

Of the CheDeMo compatible chargers i have seen all have been "Old looking" meaning that they have been put up years ago, and i even know of a couple of spots where an old dual charger was taken down, and a new CCS only charger was put up.

I dont know if it is possible to do Type-2 to Chademo for destination charging, as all destination chargers i have ever seen has been type 2. I have literally NEVER seen a destination charger that had a ChaDeMo plug, other than at local residents with a Leaf.

As an test i looked at the city i live in. Comprising of about 35.000 people.

On plugshare there is ONE ChaDeMo charger listed in the whole city, it is an old charger at a petrol station, but as of September first, the charger has been removed pending an expansion due to high usage of the lone charger, and i fully expect them to install all new chargers with CCS only.

By comparison there are 6 CCS chargers rated at 150 KW apart from the closed one i mentioned above, which was dual purpose CCS and ChaDeMo.

I would argue that if i bought a Leaf it would be for shorter trips where i could charge it at home all the time on a slow charger

There are nowhere near as many Chademo charging points as CCS - certainly not statistically :)

350kW, 800V ?
They claim that the newest standard does 1000 Volts at 400A, but the charging cables needs to be liquid cooled, and this would also mean that the charger operators should invest in a new charger, which is probably not going to be cheap, especially if the only vehicles that is using ChaDeMo is Leaf's that for the most part will be older ones that does not support these "speeds"

Why Nissan does not just simply abandon ChaDeMo, atleast in the west is anyones guess, but it sure makes their car at LOT less desirable. (Apart from the Leaf being butt-ugly :) )

4886 CHAdeMO, 5390 CCS2, 1381 Tesla, as of 31st August. Ok, 504 more CHAdeMO. But I repeat that the bigger problem is the distribution of them which means, despite (nearly) equivalent numbers that finding a vacant CHAdeMO charge point is very much harder.

4886 CHAdeMO, 5390 CCS2, 1381 Tesla, as of 31st August. Ok, 504 more CHAdeMO. But I repeat that the bigger problem is the distribution of them which means, despite (nearly) equivalent numbers that finding a vacant CHAdeMO charge point is very much harder.

I think you will find they are harder to discover as an unused one because pretty much only Nissan use them. There are far more BEVs on the road now that use CCS, so any dual use charger will be occupied by a car that has a CCS charger. It’s not the lack of chargers, it’s the fact that CCS has overtaken Chademo, both in quantity and speed of charging.

What annoys me is that voice command only works if your iPhone is connected via cable/Apple CarPlay, and doesn’t just work via BT like every other car I’ve had in the past 12 years.

And before anyone says it, my daily commute is only 8mins each way, so messing about connecting it via cable, and it sometimes not connecting, is more hassle than it’s worth.

But, to get around it, I’ve got a Carlinkit 3.0 Mini on its way to me from AliExpress, so this annoyance will soon be no more! 😊

What annoys me is that voice command only works if your iPhone is connected via cable/Apple CarPlay, and doesn’t just work via BT like every other car I’ve had in the past 12 years.

And before anyone says it, my daily commute is only 8mins each way, so messing about connecting it via cable, and it sometimes not connecting, is more hassle than it’s worth.

But, to get around it, I’ve got a Carlinkit 3.0 Mini on its way to me from AliExpress, so this annoyance will soon be no more! 😊
I use an Android dongle that plugs into the USB where you would normally plug in your phone for CarPlay/AA.

Brilliant bit of kit. Although I have an Apple Phone I only connect it as a Bluetooth device to the Android Dongle. I don’t bother with CarPlay, just using Android Apps that I download and run from the dongle. The dongle has its own SIM Card slot and additional memory slot.

Allows things like YouTube, IPlayer, Netflix and Amazon Prime to play on the large in-car screen.

Things like ABRP are much better as it is running natively and not through CarPlay or AA.

Ok here’s another. I was standing next to the car and having full 4g service.

Also “is failed”.

Attachments

• 7A64FAC8-8C84-493C-85BE-9FCA01708F8D.png
    7A64FAC8-8C84-493C-85BE-9FCA01708F8D.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 101
I have a new MG EV Trophy LR with an interment fault on the radio sometimes it works, and other times just cuts out saying BT Music is not available! The dealer has said there is a fault here and wants the car in their workshop for the day as under warranty work and will give me a courtesy car, but I will have to pay £15 for the insurance. I feel this cannot be right as the fault lies with MG car company, therefore they should be paying for the courtesy car.
Has anybody had this fault with the radio?

Try turning off Bluetooth on your phone. Sometimes you can get an announcement on your phone that will interrupt the radio.

I have witnessed this a few times myself, sometimes no matter what you do, it will not respond to your request, and suggests you try again latter.
The server appears to go off line sometimes.
I tend to find, if I open the App first, then request a health check first, then make your required command ( HVAC / pre heat etc ) it somehow gives time for the App to wake up ?.

I use an Android dongle that plugs into the USB where you would normally plug in your phone for CarPlay/AA.

Brilliant bit of kit. Although I have an Apple Phone I only connect it as a Bluetooth device to the Android Dongle. I don’t bother with CarPlay, just using Android Apps that I download and run from the dongle. The dongle has its own SIM Card slot and additional memory slot.

Allows things like YouTube, IPlayer, Netflix and Amazon Prime to play on the large in-car screen.

Things like ABRP are much better as it is running natively and not through CarPlay or AA.
Do you have details of these dongles please? I might look in to getting one of these too…

Here's a funny one.
Don't react verbally to anything while in the car with "OMG" 😅

And in no particular order:
Lane keep assist (turned it off as it was far too aggressive even on lowest setting and kept steering like a pinball between the lines here)
Camera when turning at low speed (turned it off)
Navigation is not understandable at all sometimes when it tries to "speak" Swedish names of roads (I'm sure it works great with English names though and this is probably due to it not recognizing the Swedish letters Å, Ä, Ö)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom