Things not to like on the new ZS EV

That sound can be lowered by sticking her in the back seat. :)
NO - Trust me, you have not heard it.
I bet the car following us can hear it as well šŸ¤£.
They are completely deadly EVā€™s - They are SO relaxing and silent to drive, it gets her every single time !.
It has the same effect on the grand children.
I love it, totally addictive motoring are EVā€™s.
The loud indicator sounds wakes the wife up every single time, great if you are just cruising and donā€™t need to use your indicators though of course.
Before the snoring šŸ˜“ starts, the peace is lovely šŸ„°.

Lack of true one-pedal driving. Having had it for over four years, I really miss it. Should be a standard feature on all EVs.

Lack of true one-pedal driving. Having had it for over four years, I really miss it. Should be a standard feature on all EVs.

Did you not consider the new 62kWh Nissan Leaf e+ Tekna ?

This is same price as the ZS EV Trophy Connect, and offers a similar sized car with the same technology package. It also offers ā€œone-pedalā€ driving.

Last edited:

This is same price as the ZS EV Trophy Connect, and offers a similar with the same technology package. It also offers ā€œone-pedalā€ driving.
The leaf is still ChaDeMo plug right?

If so, i would not buy it..

This is same price as the ZS EV Trophy Connect, and offers a similar sized car with the same technology package. It also offers ā€œone-pedalā€ driving.
I traded one in for the ZS. LEAF is CHAdeMO and does not have a water cooled battery. It's the better drive, in my view, but those things let it down.

I traded one in for the ZS. LEAF is CHAdeMO and does not have a water cooled battery. It's the better drive, in my view, but those things let it down.

Sensible choice :)

I too had a 40kWh Leaf. Nissan took it back after 3 months due to RapidGate and mis-advertising. Someone took them to the ASA and got them to withdraw misleading adverts.

Sensible choice :)

I too had a 40kWh Leaf. Nissan took it back after 3 months due to RapidGate and mis-advertising. Someone took them to the ASA and got them to withdraw misleading adverts.
I had no problems either with RapidGate or range.

Yeah it might be different in the UK, but right now we have a lot of new chargers installed, and all of the fast chargers 50-150 KW is CCS only.

If you use plugshare and select ChaDeMo only, there is a lot more distance between chargers than if you select CCS.

I know that with the right cable, you can charge at destinations chargers, but when new fast chargers only support CCS, and i even saw one that had ChaDeMo, that was replaced, with a new one, that did not, it's not hard to see where this is going.

ChaDeMo is dead, and you will be stuck with charging at AC 6.6 KW chargers, making it essentially unfit for longer journeys.

Yeah it might be different in the UK, but right now we have a lot of new chargers installed, and all of the fast chargers 50-150 KW is CCS only.

If you use plugshare and select ChaDeMo only, there is a lot more distance between chargers than if you select CCS.

I know that with the right cable, you can charge at destinations chargers, but when new fast chargers only support CCS, and i even saw one that had ChaDeMo, that was replaced, with a new one, that did not, it's not hard to see where this is going.

ChaDeMo is dead, and you will be stuck with charging at AC 6.6 KW chargers, making it essentially unfit for longer journeys.
ChaDeMo vs CCS is like the old battle between 8 track and cassette and then Betamax and VHS formats !.
And we ALL know how them battles ended !.
Close the door on your way out, with your P45 clutched firmly in hand Mr. ChaDeMo - There is a taxi waiting booked in your name.
Oh ā€¦ā€¦ Itā€™s a single fair, no return ride any time soon šŸ¤£.

Trafficators are the old semaphore arms that flicked out and lit up from the side of the car. I used to refurbish them as an apprentice auto electrician in the sixties!
I had them on a Morris 1000 Traveller in 1960, my first company car. The dog chewed the control stalk when I left him in the car 1 day - ever after, whenever I indicated to turn left or right both trafficators would emerge giving the impression that I was about to take off. Had to return to hand signalling which was less confusing for everybody.

1. Indicator sound. It's easily double the volume of the previous gen. It's SO LOUD.
2. Speedo isn't centred anymore. There's space on the centre screen but instead we get temperature there. Minor but still annoying.

I guess 2. is fixable in software ( there are 4 menus to left/right through, could I just have centered speed thanks? )
1. maybe software fixable?

What else is worse on the new model ( there's tons of stuff that's better obviously ).
We're still waiting to get the Gen 2 model Down under šŸ˜”

ChaDeMo vs CCS is like the old battle between 8 track and cassette and then Betamax and VHS formats !.
And we ALL know how them battles ended !.
Close the door on your way out, with your P45 clutched firmly in hand Mr. ChaDeMo - There is a taxi waiting booked in your name.
Oh ā€¦ā€¦ Itā€™s a single fair, no return ride any time soon šŸ¤£.
The weird thing though is, all the way back in 2014 the EU mandated that all new DC Fast chargers installed would have to have a CCS charger.

So 8 years ago, the EU, made it clear what it saw as the "winning" standard, atleast in the EU region, but still to this day, Nissan still makes cars that have ChaDeMo connectors for fast DC Charging.

I get that ChaDeMo might not be dead in Japan, but how arrogant would you have to be, not to offer a charger and connector that is the defacto standard in the EU, to EU citizens.

I read somewhere that Nissan finally began selling cars in the Europe that has a CCS port, but come on, why did they wait 8 years.

I mean...Tesla is kind of the Iphone of the automotive industry, and even they jumped ship in 2018 and changed over to CCS chargeports.

I can say that i, personally could very well have been driving a Nissan today, if it was not for their insane decision to keep ChaDeMo, and judging by the sigh, i at one time got from a Nissan dealer when i stood in front of his shop, looking at a Leaf, and he asked if i was interested, and i said "Can i have it with a CCS charge connector", i am FAR from, the first person to say that to him.

He offcourse had to say "no" and then i said, well that's a shame, then i am not interested. (This was back in 2018/2019 sometime)

After some more time with the new car there are only two things I think are really standout annoyances.

1. kers being weaker on the new model. The kers button doesn't seem to do anything either. ( unlike last gen ).

Stronger regen braking including to a stop ( one pedal style ) would be much more preferable to this crappy "oh we don't want to scare new ev drivers sillyness".

2. speedo position. It's off centre. Why oh why. Even on the screens in the centre there is space for the speedo to be there.

After some more time with the new car there are only two things I think are really standout annoyances.

1. kers being weaker on the new model. The kers button doesn't seem to do anything either. ( unlike last gen ).

Stronger regen braking including to a stop ( one pedal style ) would be much more preferable to this crappy "oh we don't want to scare new ev drivers sillyness".

2. speedo position. It's off centre. Why oh why. Even on the screens in the centre there is space for the speedo to be there.
The strength of the MAX regen was increase and available even earlier after the Gen 1 model had the BMS update.
It was much stronger on the Gen 1 model, you are 100% correct.
Slightly more use of the foot brake is required on the face lift model I find.
Is this a bad thing though, given that the manual brakes get very little use on many EV 's ??.
As we now have the LR model now, I find that the Regen does increase in strength as the battery SOC reduces, which is to be totally expected of course.
Maybe one of the penalties of having a much bigger battery šŸ¤£.
The speedo has not caused me any issues really.

Last edited:
Back to the original question. One frustration I have found is the voice button no longer controls Apple car play or android auto. This prevents being able to make a hand free voice call. Has anyone else seen this (or fixed it)? Worked fine on Gen1.

Back to the original question. One frustration I have found is the voice button no longer controls Apple car play or android auto. This prevents being able to make a hand free voice call. Has anyone else seen this (or fixed it)? Worked fine on Gen1.

Works fine on my MK2. Keep the voice button pressed for a couple of seconds to activate iPhone or Android voice commands (assuming your phone is linked to the car). The difference is, a short press activates the car voice commands if you have the Connect version.

Works fine on my MK2. Keep the voice button pressed for a couple of seconds to activate iPhone or Android voice commands (assuming your phone is linked to the car). The difference is, a short press activates the car voice commands if you have the Connect version.
Thank you.

Thank you.
Using Android auto the mic option is enabled by long press but does not recognise a voice and closes itself after a couple of seconds. Michael, are you using Apple or Android?

So 8 years ago, the EU, made it clear what it saw as the "winning" standard, atleast in the EU region, but still to this day, Nissan still makes cars that have ChaDeMo connectors for fast DC Charging.
Chademo is truly the Betamax standard, vastly superior but done down by commercial pressure exerted by the rival inferior system. You just have to read this forum to see the ongoing issues with CCS not to mention the absence of a workable V2G standard for it. So the EU and the German car industry have saddled us with a turkey.
Personally I would buy a car with Chademo for a four year ownership, but I wouldn't buy another LEAF given the continued passive battery cooling and associated degradation.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom