TPMS on new alloy wheels

magaone70

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Good evening to all members of the forum, November 15th of each year is the date for fitting winter tires in Italy, I managed to keep the old original 17" Volkswagen alloy wheels from my old car (golf 7) which are the same in terms of wheelbase and channel to those of my MG4 standard MY2023(5x112.7J) so I will fit them with 215/50 R17 winter tyres, I have already done the fitting test and they are fine, my question is the following: without the TPMS sensors (I would have to buy the original MG ones to have them compatible with the vehicle and then reprogram them at the dealership via software) does the car work regularly without alarms or other problems? Has anyone already fitted aftermarket alloy wheels without TPMS to be able to answer me? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20230423_155038.jpg
    IMG_20230423_155038.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 83
Hi
I have just fitted 18” alloys to my pre face lift Mg5
I am waiting for my original mg tpms to be fitted to my new wheels by my local tyre fitter
I get an alert on the dash telling me there is a fault on the tpms when I start up I just press the ok button on the right of the steering wheel then all is good
Hope this helps
Ian
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
IMG_1347.jpeg

Hi
I have just fitted 18” alloys to my pre face lift Mg5
I am waiting for my original mg tpms to be fitted to my new wheels by my local tyre fitter
I get an alert on the dash telling me there is a fault on the tpms when I start up I just press the ok button on the right of the steering wheel then all is good
Hope this helps
Ian
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
View attachment 21124
Thank you so much for your reply, it was what I wanted to know, can I ask you how much do 4 original MG TPMS sensors cost and how long do they take to arrive?did you buy them at the MG dealership or did you find them on the internet? Thank you
Magaone70

Thank you so much for your reply, it was what I wanted to know, can I ask you how much do 4 original MG TPMS sensors cost and how long do they take to arrive?did you buy them at the MG dealership or did you find them on the internet? Thank you
Magaone70

Hi
I have not purchased extra tpms they are from the oem wheels
I am just waiting for a slot in the tyre bay as it is a friend that will be changing them over from the oem wheels to my new wheels
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I think these were the original TPMS units, so should already have been coded - they just needed physically fitted to the new wheels.

My winter wheels is set up with zax ev531 lightweight 16"x6,5" rims with Michelin x-ice north 4 studded 205/60r16 XL tyres (This is in Norway).

TPMS are Autel (433mHz I think) they where cloned from the original TPMS sensors on the car, sold / cloned / fitted by my tyre dealer, car does not notis that the wheels and sensors are changed. I payed 147£ for the 4 (original was double of that at the dealership and also just another TPMS brand).

Btw. Each wheel with tyre (if memory serves me correct) is aprox 4kg lighter than the original 17" setup with hubcaps as I recal my winter wheels are 17,5kg ish each and the original ones 21,5kg ish each.

I tried to answer but the outlook email verification got me so 1st post also.

Many years ago I had one of the earlier cars with tpms sensors (a Chrysler 300c) so I had an awful time learning about the systems including a drive to Blackpool but the learnings have set me right. At one point the dying sensor stopped my central locking remote working, right faff. Autel kit is the way forward btw here is a bit of a long post.

The sensors in the wheels transmit a sensor ID, pressure and temperature on the same frequency as the remote (433Mhz and 315Mhz in other territories). They do this when there is a sudden change, under pressure etc, every so often when rotating and after a while they go to sleep with infrequent transmits. There are various ways a car can identify where the sensor is. Directly programmed into the car I.e it knows sensor id 1 is nsf etc. others (like my Chrysler) had a transducer in 3 wheel wells which can send out a trigger to the sensor to respond (in the low kHz range) car knows when it’s done that and knows where the response is from - process of elimination for 4th. Most cars though now know the IDs, there are various ways to make the car learn this and it varies with model which avoids the in well transducers.

When you buy a new sensor it has a new id and also the specific way to transmit to the car - vw may be different to mg etc. The sensor must send out suitable data for the car and the car must work out the new ID/where it is if the system cares and shows pressure locations (some are just a light). This is where autel kit comes in. They make a generic programmable sensor for around £30 each which can have the parameters programmed into AND that gives them the ability to clone the originals or create a “new” sensor with their tools. Dependant on what tool you buy the ts401 408 etc will programme the sensor and have the procedure to set the car up to the sensor (this set up is not needed if you clone which can be done with the cheap tpms pad BUT to do that you need the sensor ID which is often printed on the sensor, in the cars module or of the sensor is slightly functioning can be read from the original). My ts408 I believe has an update to look at the 4 which I’ll do soon and give it a whirl to see how it behaves.

For the cost of the autel tool circa £100 and generic sensors at £30 a pop (there are 2 variants, rubber or metal stem and they have made them dual frequency now) you can interrogate and sort for minimal ££ on multiple vehicles/makes. I sorted the director at works Vauxhall for the price of a sensor where Vauxhall quoted £300 to replace all. After so many years the batteries in the sensors die - not really replaceable as they are potted in resin so a good tool to have especially so as tyre fitters sometime break the sensors.

Did anyone make a Photo of the original TMPS sensor, including its "Part number"? May be we could find some non-original but compatible unit....

I fitted a new set of alloys in April which came with Autel valves which work fine with the MG4 once coded . I bought the wheels on line and as soon as i fitted them i had all sorts of TPMS errors. The on line company loaned me the Autel scanner and i scanned each wheel making a note of which corner it came off and programmed the new all works fine . I have since returned back to the MG wheels for winter again all works fine after a short run.

Did anyone make a Photo of the original TMPS sensor, including its "Part number"? May be we could find some non-original but compatible unit....
Any Autel valves will work about £20 a valve . The expensive part is the Autel tool to scan and clone to the new valve. Easy to do though. Autel TS508 is the machine i used.

Any Autel valves will work about £20 a valve . The expensive part is the Autel tool to scan and clone to the new valve. Easy to do though. Autel TS508 is the machine i used.
Spot on - first had experience with autel tools on the Chrysler (needed to get the gearbox temperature for a refill). Bought the tpms tools later and they make a little Bluetooth OBD adapter ap200 - which is one of the very few tools that will actually communicate with multiple modules on an MG6. Don’t think they’ve added support for the 4 yet on it though.

Hello, Today I put on new rims and new tyres, I kept the original ones untouched, the new one came with already programmed sensor (the vendor said that), but after 10 km TPMS fault popped up. What to do? is there a reset procedure?

20240226_164236.jpg

The car is hard-coded to the TPMS sensors that came with it, and they are coded by corner too. New sensors need to be cloned from the existing sensors.

Hello, Today I put on new rims and new tyres, I kept the original ones untouched, the new one came with already programmed sensor (the vendor said that), but after 10 km TPMS fault popped up. What to do? is there a reset procedure?
No “reset” procedure as such. The new sensors will have different serial numbers which the car doesn’t understand.

Those serial numbers are hard coded into the cars brain and have to be told to the car with an external bit of kit.

Well, on many modern vehicles the TMPS system is self-learning. If you install compatible sensors, and drive ~~20 km at >20 km/h, the brains will accept the new ID's, and assign their positions according to radio signal power, and wheel rotation.

Are you saying that MG designers are such alternative-minded genius that do not know of modern systems?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back