Trophy seat 'leather' wearing

dave99

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Been giving the interior a good clean this afternoon and spotted some white spots on the drivers seat - on closer inspection it looks like bits of the fake leather have worn off. I certainly don't do anything rough with the seats! This seems a bit poor after 7 months :(

seatleather.png

I have bought seat covers for my SE because I noticed that the seats are only under warranty for a year. (The seat fabric on the SE looks hard-wearing, but I can take a hint.)

Seven months is less than a year. That is a warranty claim.

I note that is exactly the spot where the driver's seats have worn in my two previous cars. But. The Peugeot was 11 years old and had done 120,000 miles when it went to the scrappage scheme. The leather (and it was leather) only went in the last weeks I was driving it waiting for the Golf to be delivered. The Golf was nearly 14 and had done 135,000 miles, and the fabric (not leather) was only worn, it hadn't actually gone.

Been giving the interior a good clean this afternoon and spotted some white spots on the drivers seat - on closer inspection it looks like bits of the fake leather have worn off. I certainly don't do anything rough with the seats! This seems a bit poor after 7 months :(

View attachment 19314
Definitely a warranty claim, that is really poor quality to do that in 7 months, how many miles have you done

That material looks horribly cheap, in fact much cheaper-looking than the fabric on the SE seats. Also cheaper than the faux-leather on the seat covers I bought.

1690741132198.png

At £160 for the entire set (back seats too) I honestly don't mind if this wears out in a few years, I'll just buy another set, and maybe change the look while I'm at it. But I'd be shocked if this Aliexpress product wore out in seven months. The car's own seats should be better than an Aliexpress add-on!

Since I didn't look at the Trophy as a possible purchase, I don't know how it was advertised. I have however heard people refer to "leather seats". That is not leather. Leather is animal hide. That is a synthetic material. Frankly, it's horrible, and I'd take the SE's fabric seats over that any day of the week.

Sure, the Aliexpress seat covers were advertised as being leather, but I took that with a large pinch of salt and was in no way surprised that the product turned out to be some sort of heavy-duty vinyl. It actually had advantages, because its stretchiness (far greater than the stretchiness of real leather) allowed it to be fitted around the plastic fittings on the seats very neatly. It was still great value for money.

But if a car itself is advertised as having leather seats, I'd expect these seats to have gone moo at some point in the past, or else.

ha - about 5,000! I'm mostly short journeys though - 3 or 4 trips a day
Would explain the 12 months warranty, not a huge amount of faith in the quality

I should probably stop saying this, but I'm appalled. If Trophy owners don't flock to Aliexpress after seeing that, they ought to.

The only car with leather seats I ever had was my Peugeot, and they were standard. It never occurred to me that they weren't actually leather, and I had the car for over eleven years. When the wear finally happened at just that point, and the seam became detached, I didn't notice anything about the nature of the material that made me think, hey, that's not leather!

As regards that picture, that's not leather. As the title of the thread acknowledges. Are Trophy owners aware of this?

Was that made clear to people who bought Trophies? The use of the word "leather" at all seems to me to be sailing a bit close to the wind, trades-descriptions wise. It's one thing if you're a vegan looking for shoes or trouser belts, call it vegan leather if you like. It's another thing to market vinyl to normal carnivorous people as some sort of leather by sneaking the word "vegan" in there somewhere.

A vegan buying something labelled "vegan leather" is going to know that it isn't leather, the same way they know that "vegan steak" isn't actually steak. But someone who doesn't even think about veganism in the normal course of events is an entirely different matter.

I mean, seriously, I'd far rather have the honest fabric of the SE than that rubbish.

I've just had a thought. I was surprised that the seat warranty was only for a year, because the fabric of the SE seats looks reasonably hard-wearing. Obviously appearances can be deceptive, but it occurs to me that the one-year warranty might be very deliberate because they know that the quality of the material on the Trophy seats isn't going to last.

Last edited:
I wasn't, because I heard people talking about the Trophy having "leather seats". (No doubt I would have realised if I had been seriously considering buying a Trophy. I hope.)

Genuine leather seats are a high-spec addition. Plastic seats are a step down from good quality cloth.

I wasn't, because I heard people talking about the Trophy having "leather seats". (No doubt I would have realised if I had been seriously considering buying a Trophy. I hope.)

Genuine leather seats are a high-spec addition. Plastic seats are a step down from good quality cloth.
Apparently proper vegan leather is quite a hi tech fabric and a good majority of people no longer wish for dead animal hides on the seats or steering wheels.
I wouldn't quite say that the seat material on the SE is up there as hi standard either.

If I'd been buying a Trophy I'd have been quite startled. Are there really enough people who object to real leather that car manufacturers are ceasing to put leather seats in high-end cars? Given the ubiquitous use of leather in other situations, and that most people aren't vegetarian, that's downright peculiar.

Leather is still an expensive option on a lot of cars, EVs especially however have tended to move away from them and use a variety of hi Tec recycled fabrics.
The fabric in my seats is apparently made up of a % of plastic recovered from the ocean

Mmm. I remember the back-and-forth about whether to get leather seats in my Golf. I fancied them becaused the Peugeot had come with leather as standard (not a particularly high-grade leather, but still leather), and originally had them on my wish-list. But then a very weird thing happened. The second dealer I went to, looking for a better deal, actually talked me out of specifying them, saying that the grey-and-red tartan cloth seats were much nicer, and he was right. I specified the DSG instead, as I'd been impressed with it on the test drive at the first dealer. The seats were an expensive option, maybe as much as £1,000, certainly comparable to the cost of the DSG. (But then they were standard on the Peugeot.) My mother then said, if you really want the leather seats, we could stretch to that really - the car was for both of us and she was chipping in a little. But I had been convinced by the second dealer's argument and went for the tartan seats. But there was never any doubt that we were talking about actual leather.

I had honestly never heard the term "vegan leather" until the other day, when I was telling someone what good quality the seat covers I'd got from Aliexpress were. I said, OK they were advertised as being leather but if they actually had been, at that price, I'd have fainted dead away on the spot. They're a good-quality composite of some sort, and look very good. The person I was talking to laughed and said, "Oh, vegan leather!" I thought they were making a joke.

I guess if nobody who actually bought the Trophy was deceived by the word "leather" on the specs then it's not a problem, but the quality of the product certainly seems to be a problem, judging by that photo. Honestly, if my Aliexpress seat covers do that within the year I'll be very surprised.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 519 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back