Trophy seat 'leather' wearing

I am not a fan of pleather and do prefer good quality cloth. I have it on my ZS and got covers for the summer as they get uber scalding in the sun. There is however no sign of undue wear, and I have not heard of any additional signs of wear from other owners. Meant to be picking up a 2nd gen 4 trophy this afternoon, so will add to the checklist.

The spec sheet for the Trophy definitely says "Leather style" twice when mentioning the seating. It does specify "Leather Steering Wheel", but as mine still hasn't been delivered, I can't go and sniff the wheel :) I guess the vegans can sit in it, but won't want to actually drive it if that's true!

If nobody was under any illusions about what they were getting then I guess it's OK. I was just so used to hearing people speak of the Trophy as having "leather" seats that I got quite a shock when I saw that photo.

The question is really one of quality, and that photo doesn't suggest the sort of quality you'd expect in the top-of-the-range model. I think I honestly prefer the SE seats.

If nobody was under any illusions about what they were getting then I guess it's OK. I was just so used to hearing people speak of the Trophy as having "leather" seats that I got quite a shock when I saw that photo.

The question is really one of quality, and that photo doesn't suggest the sort of quality you'd expect in the top-of-the-range model. I think I honestly prefer the SE seats.
Yes I agree. A lot of the YT vids from se of the household names say leather. Some would say a small error but as the pics show it's clearly not as good as the real thing. Hopefully a small number of similar issues in the same way as other problems seen. As others have pointed out, don't get fooled into believing the warranty is as good as sounds. Most items are way less than 7 years.

The one-year warranty on the seats was a big factor in my decision to buy seat covers, but the amount of wear shown in that photo is a shocker for seven months. The worrying thing is that it doesn't look like a one-off to me, it looks like a poor quality product. The issue isn't the mileage done, it's the number of times you get into and out of the car. The OP says he does multiple short journeys a day, and my fear is that he has uncovered something that's going to affect a lot of cars when their drivers catch up with that number of get-in-get-out cycles.

Been giving the interior a good clean this afternoon and spotted some white spots on the drivers seat - on closer inspection it looks like bits of the fake leather have worn off. I certainly don't do anything rough with the seats! This seems a bit poor after 7 months :(

View attachment 19314
i had zips on my back trouser pockets and found they were catching the seats at this point, on the backrest, while i was getting in to the car.

Been giving the interior a good clean this afternoon and spotted some white spots on the drivers seat - on closer inspection it looks like bits of the fake leather have worn off. I certainly don't do anything rough with the seats! This seems a bit poor after 7 months :(

View attachment 19314
Good job with the photos.... they clearly show that the seats are not scratched or damaged by any external influence. So... straight back to your dealer with a warranty claim on what clearly is a defective product. I would also potentially want the other seats checked and replaced as they are from the same batch and likely to suffer the same at varying points.

That material looks horribly cheap, in fact much cheaper-looking than the fabric on the SE seats. Also cheaper than the faux-leather on the seat covers I bought.

View attachment 19317

At £160 for the entire set (back seats too) I honestly don't mind if this wears out in a few years, I'll just buy another set, and maybe change the look while I'm at it. But I'd be shocked if this Aliexpress product wore out in seven months. The car's own seats should be better than an Aliexpress add-on!
Do you have a link to these seat covers?

Here you go.

The basic link takes you to a page that defaults to a single seat cover, but if you click on the different items available you get the full set. This is the one I bought.

1691244334449.png

I see it has come down a little more (I think I paid £165). The covers are made to order and the seller will ask you to send photos of the car seats before making them. Despite all this a mistake was made in making my rear seats but the seller apologised and sent new ones. (I put the faulty ones in the bin.)

Several forum members have bought these and nobody has had a bad experience. They're not leather, of course, but the quality is fine. Also, that stretchy composite is easier to fit than leather would be.

There are other suppliers with similar products on offer and you might want to browse to see the options for colour combinations. This video (in Dutch) is worth a look. The owner paid an extra 20 euros to have the orange detailing replaced by blue for his blue car, and it looks great.

This shows how well I managed to fit the covers over the plastic fittings on the seats. (This is the left-hand rear seat back lying flat on the load bed before I re-fitted the seat.)

1691244917523.png

Last edited:
As an aside, my Trophy front seats have a tag marked 'airbag' and the manual says the outer edges of the front seats' back supports contain the airbags. Do the covers allow effective airbag deployment?

As an aside, my Trophy front seats have a tag marked 'airbag' and the manual says the outer edges of the front seats' back supports contain the airbags. Do the covers allow effective airbag deployment?

Yes. If you scroll down the web page linked there's an illustration of this. There are openings in the sides of the front seat covers to let the airbags blast through if they're deployed. I don't have a photo that shows it very clearly, but the red circle in this photo indicates the bottom of the opening. There's a flap of fabric that covers the opening, but there's a clear path for the airbag to inflate through.

1691264471317.png

Edit. I just noticed a video on the site that I didn't see before, where someone actually pulls the fabric to the side to show the airbag opening. This is a freeze frame.

1691264779477.png

View attachment 19314
Looks like you've rubbed it with a belt buckle or something abrasive when getting in and out of the car. Material should be more robust than that though.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back