Tutorial for updating maps on ZS EV Gen 2 (avoiding mgmotor.eu)

I
I am here in Germany and it always takes me to the German website. You need to put in your vin number then it will take you to a page with all the handbooks and other info on the cars.
You need to look for:
Kartenupdate Q1 2023 – Comfort edition
or:
Kartenupdate Q1 2023 – Luxury edition
depending on the car you have.
Click on the link below:-

Benutzerhandbücher
followed your link last night and downloaded the map file, and unpacked it thank you.
However it is the 02 second quarter map as per the other link which Miles put on.#
I have been unable to find any 23 map updates or for that matter 22 Q3 or Q4 ones. If anyone has found a map later than 22 Q02 can they tell me where. Grateful for clarification on the point.

There isn't one the MG update website shows as being Q1 2023 but in reality the update is Q2 2022.

Bit warmer today 6 degrees. Update completed successfully took about 30min in the car.

Edit:- 7-Zip with Windows 10 laptop.

Last edited:
All the map links now go to a page not found….?

When I originally looked at updating my ZS EV Mark 1, most guys said to put your blank USB drive into the car port and format it there, before going back to your PC and loading the files.

Also using Window 10/11, if you right click a ZIP file, Windows will provide a menu that has an ’Extract here‘ item.
Winrar (7-zip et Al) do the same and will allow an extract here I.e. into the folder you have the archive in.

HTH

Finally managed to update my sat nav! Previous attempts resulted in failure for various reasons - ‘no map data found’ or ‘md5 errors’.
Today, I decided to format the usb to NTFS rather than exFAT used previously. I don’t know whether that was what made the difference; just pleased it worked.
No doubt there will be another update in the not too distant future, and I shall need to do it all again 🤣

I've just updated my Mk2 using the link at the top took a few attempts but the update finally started. The USB stick has to be forrmatted as NTFS, when the zip archive sxtracts it extracs tp maps/maps/. When you transfer it to the USB it should be maps/ only, i.e. yet ris of the first folder layer.
It took a few minutes to recognise the files then another 25 to copy and update.

Offering my experience into the discussion for what it's worth, or who it might help. I downloaded the maps.zip file as described above, along with all the pdf manuals I could, which took about 45 minutes. I then unzipped (Windows 10) and did a copy to a blank quick format 64GB USB stick (format exFAT) which took about 3 hours. I simply copied the maps\ level folder to the root.

Then out to the car (MG ZS Long Range Trophy 23 Reg) and plugged in USB stick. Wait about 5 minutes for the system to read and identify the USB files - only the top box was selected to update maps. Click OK and sit back for about 45 minutes while it read and transferred the files. Offered reboot and now updated to 22Q2 from 21Q1

A few other things I had tried, but failed with were the wrong versions of the maps, using the USB C socket (this doesn't seem to work with anything) and various failed copies to other USB sticks.

Attachments

• 20230524_154855.jpg
    20230524_154855.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 95
Updated mine today without issue. FAT32 format, 32GB USB stick. Took around 15 mins to install on the car. Copying the files using a modern Windows 11 machine however, took 3 hours even over a USB 3.0 interface.

As an aside, looking at the date codes of the 2021 and 2022 updates, it would appear they are released around the same time once per year. No biggie for me as I use Apple CarPlay maps, but I’d imagine if you were relying on the in built nav, it’d be pretty annoying having to use up to one year old map data.

Updated mine today without issue. FAT32 format, 32GB USB stick. Took around 15 mins to install on the car. Copying the files using a modern Windows 11 machine however, took 3 hours even over a USB 3.0 interface.

As an aside, looking at the date codes of the 2021 and 2022 updates, it would appear they are released around the same time once per year. No biggie for me as I use Apple CarPlay maps, but I’d imagine if you were relying on the in built nav, it’d be pretty annoying having to use up to one year old map data.
I agree about the older maps although I think the issue is more around Charger Points appearing on the map as hopefully, there will be more popping up through the year and I don't think they will appear without an update. Mind you I use ZapMap to find them normally, but it is useful to occasionally see that you are near/passing one.

Please help to post Australia / New Zealand Map or link to download for MG ZS EV Gen2 facelift standard variant
Thank you

Here is the PDF for the maps update for the MGZS and MG4 'Luxury' editions.

On page 2 is a clickable link to the EU download site (still live)
(https://www.mgmotor.eu/downloads/maps.zip)

I did the update a few weeks ago. (April)
This link is still the 22Q2 map, and looking at the file modified date it'll be around August-December before there will be another.

Edit. Just downloaded again and it is still 22Q2

Attachments

• MAP-Data-Update-for-EZS-MCE-LUX-and-MG4-LUX2-15.26.44.pdf
    211.5 KB · Views: 481
Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom